Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Jets Put Out the Word - Interested In Trading Down

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    exactly....I mean we have started a new era in Jets football...it''s a couple days before the draft and they are talking about axing the head coach....brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    I don't get Rex angst. I think it's a situation where they think the grass is always greener.

yes they will trade down

look to the forty niners chomping at the bit.they are loaded woth picks.that money wise.is impossible for them to keep.

Going to be very hard to get any value in trading down if Shefter is right about the 5 OTHER teams in the top 12 that want to do the same...

Report: Five teams in top 12 want to move down
    Posted by Darin Gantt on April 23, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
    Doug Marrone, Buddy Nix AP

Draft boards are set by this point.

That means all that’s left is the jockeying for position.

Adam Schefter of ESPN points out what seems obvious in a draft with no sure things, that about half the top 12 want to move down.

Schefter specifically mentioned the Eagles (fourth), Lions (fifth), Browns (sixth), Bills (eighth) and Dolphins (12th) as having made calls trying to trade down.

If that’s the case, the law of supply and demand is about to kick in, making it harder for any of them to get the kind of return they’d normally want, if anyone’s even willing to move up to the spots they occupy.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-to-move-down/

All League
    Exactly. No trading down. Isn't worth it with so many teams wanting the same

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    IIRC they said the same thing last draft and look at all the deals made..

All League
    Not true. There were not as many teams looking to trade down last year. Last year the top of the draft wanted to be there, this year the opposite. Very few teams will look to trade up this year. That's a fact.

Jets Insider VIP
    If Vinny Patrollie thinks the Jets shouldn't trade down in the first round

then, obviously, the Jets SHOULD trade down in the first round

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Going to be very hard to get any value in trading down if Shefter is right about the 5 OTHER teams in the top 12 that want to do the same...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-to-move-down/
    The Jets are in the best position here with 13. No need to jump all the way to 4,5,6, 8 or even 12 when you can sit tight and wait till 13 if your guy is still there. And it will cost a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCroatian View Post
    Not really bro, not even #9 is a good match in draft value.

#9 = 1,350 value
    #23 = 760
    #25 = 720

So 1,350 for 1480. Wed have to trade our #9 and throw in a 5th round pick.
    This is a static chart made a long time ago. If nothing else, it's quite clear that the top 15 picks of the first round are not as valuable as on the chart.
    This isn't math.

The #1 pick last year was probably worth 2-3x as much as the #1 pick this year.

The #2 pick in 2013 is certainly not worth 3 #1 picks + #2 pick. Some people thought the Redskins gave up too much last year, but it would be laughable to get this much in 2013.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

LOL at numerical draft value attributions to picks.

Yet another way to have no clue about the draft.

Not true. There were not as many teams looking to trade down last year. Last year the top of the draft wanted to be there, this year the opposite. Very few teams will look to trade up this year. That's a fact.

didn't realize its a fact before occurring..

teams picking #2, 3, 5, 12, all traded down last season..

Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    look to the forty niners chomping at the bit.they are loaded woth picks.that money wise.is impossible for them to keep.
    Agreed, and SF likely will trade down but there are 8 (or 12) other teams that can trade down too.

SF will have leverage to give up little to get a lot.

I would trade 13 or 31 and 34 (but not 9)

All League
    Why not trade to 12?

“@Rotoworld_FB: Report: Miami seriously trying to trade down http://dlvr.it/3GrXyH”

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    If Vinny Patrollie thinks the Jets shouldn't trade down in the first round

then, obviously, the Jets SHOULD trade down in the first round

Where did I say I didn't want the Jets to trade down? You're stretching a bit here, even for you SkippyGoo, to find something of mine to whine about. I just pointed out there will be lots of competition from other teams if the Jets intend to trade down. Do you dispute that?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    The Jets are in the best position here with 13. No need to jump all the way to 4,5,6, 8 or even 12 when you can sit tight and wait till 13 if your guy is still there. And it will cost a lot less.
    HUH? What are you talking about?! You have NO IDEA who the teams ahead or behind you want, so how can you say that #13 is the BEST OF ALL POSSIBLE spots to be? Makes zero sense.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Look at it this way - you only have 15 minutes per pick. If other clubs don't know that you're willing to move, they move up ahead of your spot to get the guy they covet. If they know they can get to #9, maybe they sit tight and see how the board plays before making a move.

Announcing like this helps other teams plan their strategies. I actually like this. You wouldn't want to show your hand if you're interested in moving up or have your sights on a certain player, but you do want to show your hand if it increases the possibility of a trade partner, which I think this does.
    +1

I was gonna make the same point re Pick time and opening the door for other organizations to start thinking about it as a possibility rather than scrambling at the last second.

@AdamSchefter: RT @dan_maren: Didn't you say Miami was trying to move back? Doing what they should? ... Correct. Exploring both options. As they should.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @AdamSchefter: RT @dan_maren: Didn't you say Miami was trying to move back? Doing what they should? ... Correct. Exploring both options. As they should.
    I love it, Shefter saying the Dolphins are looking to trade up AND trade down, all he has to do now is say he thinks the Dolphins will stay put and he will end up being right.

All League
    It don't matter how many 'want' to move down, but how many actually do and who wants to move up at the time the Jets pick...if the 4-5 teams ahead of us don't like the value offered in a trade down deal and pass, that doesn't mean that the value to do so won't be there for the Jets at either 9 or 13.

Going to be an interesting night!

Depending on what happens in picks 1-8, I can see a very real possibility of the Jets trading either the #9 or #13 pick to a team that wants to:

-Get a top flight DT
    -Have their pick of Tier 1 WRs

Frankly I think that this year's WR class is deep but without any clear stars who are head and shoulders above the competition. I'd hope that not all teams feel that and our #13 pick may be dealt to someone who wants their pick of the WR litter.

@MoveTheSticks: Latest #NFLDraft buzz-- If the 3 OT's go as high as expected, don't be surprised if a team outside the top 10 trades up for 1 of the OG's.

@WilliamsonNFL: @MoveTheSticks I bet 5 of 1st 10 picks will be OL

@MoveTheSticks: @WilliamsonNFL I think 4 are a lock…very likely we could see 5.

@WilliamsonNFL: @MoveTheSticks I would be ALL OVER Warmack if I were #Cardinals for their power running game under Arians
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-23-2013 at 08:28 PM.