Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets Put Out the Word - Interested In Trading Down

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Put Out the Word - Interested In Trading Down

http://fansided.com/2013/04/22/nfl-d...to-trade-down/

Rich Cimini of ESPN New York reports that the Jets have informed teams around the league that they are looking to traded down
    Getting the 13th pick puts them in a great position to do so if there are any partners.

Cool.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, Idzik is basically playing John Madden football.

Nobody should complain about this. I'm all for trading down as long as we get Warmack or Cooper.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not much of a poker player, so can anyone tell me why you show your hand 3 days before the draft?

Having said that, I'm definitely in favor of this philosophy - just wondering why you make it public.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

Nobody should complain about this. I'm all for trading down as long as we get Warmack or Cooper.
    +1

Add a stud to the OL then trade down all you want.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @FootballPost: Report: Niners looking to trade up in first round http://t.co/vLEFTqSm2D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    I'm not much of a poker player, so can anyone tell me why you show your hand 3 days before the draft?

Having said that, I'm definitely in favor of this philosophy - just wondering why you make it public.
    No hand was shown. This gives no team any insight to the Jets draft board. It simply adds the possibility that if there's a player you want at one of the Jets' picks, they're open to listening to offers. Doesn't mean you have to take them. This is about maximizing options.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

how else will teams know you want to trade down, if you don't advertise. it invites teams to make offers. begins discussions.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I fully support stockpiling as many early picks as possible. We need talent and a lot of it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at it this way - you only have 15 minutes per pick. If other clubs don't know that you're willing to move, they move up ahead of your spot to get the guy they covet. If they know they can get to #9, maybe they sit tight and see how the board plays before making a move.

Announcing like this helps other teams plan their strategies. I actually like this. You wouldn't want to show your hand if you're interested in moving up or have your sights on a certain player, but you do want to show your hand if it increases the possibility of a trade partner, which I think this does.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too, exactly.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking to trade up, you don't want others to know, so you can get the best possible deal without competition for the pick. If you are looking to trade down, you want a bidding war on your pick, in order to....get the best possible deal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

never played. can you explain the analogy?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why?

So we can have more subpar picks later on?

Why not get top picks with the two you have in the top 15?

Idk.. I don't want to trade out of both. I'd like to get a Warmack and then a guy like Austin, or someone..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    doesnt everybody, in every draft, put it out there that they want to trade down!! of course u want more picks...it just rarely happens.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    No hand was shown. This gives no team any insight to the Jets draft board. It simply adds the possibility that if there's a player you want at one of the Jets' picks, they're open to listening to offers. Doesn't mean you have to take them. This is about maximizing options.
    OK - Having watched my share of drafts over the years, I thought that it was only on the day of - or even the 15 minutes of - the draft that teams sprung into action on all this. Obviously not. In 2000 when the Jets had 4 first rounders and Parcells was at the controls, I wonder how hot those phone lines were in the Jets war room. I believe the Steelers were hot for Chad before the Jets snagged him at #18.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Why?

Idk.. I don't want to trade out of both. I'd like to get a Warmack and then a guy like Austin, or someone..
    A) Jets need depth right now. Two studs aren't going to help all that much with where we're at. 4-5 very solid players might, though.

B) The strength of the draft is in the 2nd-4th rounds. Quite deep, but perhaps not as top heavy.

Love everything Idzik is doing...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    http://fansided.com/2013/04/22/nfl-d...to-trade-down/

Getting the 13th pick puts them in a great position to do so if there are any partners.

Cool.
    We need a boatload of players plus draft picks are always a crapshoot to some degree so get more picks...I'm in

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends on how the board falls. I think there is a distinct possibility that Idzik decides to use both of those picks because the talent is there.

People are forging battle lines here and they shouldn't be so quick to draw conclusions. From what I know about this years draft, there are many positions that are very deep in talent throughout the draft. So trading down may work out great, you never know.

But I do think they should their pick at #9 to grab some kind of top notch player assuming he's there. As always the BAP. I would hope that would become OL like Warmack or Cooper or the BAP OLB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The draft is not a complete crap shoot.. There is a reason that some teams are better at drafting than others.

That mentality is just the wrong way to look at the draft.

Because I believe the talent at 13 is similar to the talent at 31 and 34, I would be interested in trading down with Frisco.

According to the draft value chart, 13 roughly equals 31 and 34. We could really end up with someone like Ertz and a QB there. The only 2 QB's I'd even take on my team are EJ Manuel and Glennon though. Glennon has a smaller chance at being very good in my opinion. Manuel is the guy I would really try to get if reasonably possible.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Why?

Say the Niners offered the 31st and 34th pick for the #13 pick. The Jets would then have 4 picks in the top 45, including one in the top 10.

That's how you rebuild a depleted roster.