Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dylan to Tour With Wilco and My Morning Jacket

Dylan to Tour With Wilco and My Morning Jacket

Pretty good bill.

Jets Insider VIP
    In.

I'll wait until they invent a time machine.

Hall Of Fame
    Huge Dylan fan, I consider the show he played with Van Morrison at the Theatre at Madison Square Garden(1999) to be among my top ten concerts of all time.

Saw him here in Vermont a few years ago with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp. I left a quarter of the way through Dylan's set - he sounded like Popeye with Emphysema.

Dishes are done dude.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Huge Dylan fan, I consider the show he played with Van Morrison at the Theatre at Madison Square Garden(1999) to be among my top ten concerts of all time.

Saw him here in Vermont a few years ago with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp. I left a quarter of the way through Dylan's set - he sounded like Popeye with Emphysema.

Dishes are done dude.
    ...but he always tours with excellent backing bands....I'll watch him when he's 100....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I'll wait until they invent a time machine.
    You don't need one. Wilco and MMJ are still in their prime. I'm confident both shows will knock your socks off, knowing your musical preference s a little. And you're not going to have many more chances to see Dylan. Old, yes, but still a legend to be soaked in.

Dishes are done dude.
    As a songwriter, poet and performer, I consider Dylan a god. One of the best of all time in any genre. The importance of Dylan's catalog and performance history, as well his impact on popular/rock music cannot be overstated.

That said, I haven't been able to withstand more than a few seconds of his warbling for at least 10 years. Just can't do it without getting sad and annoyed.

Folks want to go see Dylan because they can say they did? Fine, I respect that. But don't expect this guy to be there. Here's the visionary legend I'll always carry with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXsb6Vu5Sfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnl5X5MQKTg

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    You don't need one. Wilco and MMJ are still in their prime. I'm confident both shows will knock your socks off, knowing your musical preference s a little. And you're not going to have many more chances to see Dylan. Old, yes, but still a legend to be soaked in.
    Maybe in the 90s. Right now? Other than Tweedy, who's in the band anyway? Pass.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post

Maybe in the 90s. Right now? Other than Tweedy, who's in the band anyway? Pass.
    Nels Cline. Sick.

Don't knock it til you've tried it

Jets Insider VIP
    I tried to like MMJ, I really did. Didn't take.

Nels Cline. Sick.

I was just about to say the same thing. I loved Wilco pre Nels but what he's brought to that band in the last couple albums have been outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Dude you gotta listen to At Dawn. That's one solid album and their best in my opinion.

Nels Cline. Sick.

Did not know the name. Just checked out a few things with Cline on YouTube. Very interesting. Thanks, JP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djzslrQrTyI

Ibid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODaAV1IYQsM#!

How could anyone talk sh!t about Wilco man?!

Listen to this greatness.

Hall Of Fame
    I can say the same about Wilco.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODaAV1IYQsM#!

How could anyone talk sh!t about Wilco man?!

Listen to this greatness.
    I can say the same about Wilco.
    For as long as they have been around, Wilco is one of those bands that critics seem to love. I think they're fine; nothing spectacular.

Walk down any street in America and ask a random group of people to hum or sing the melody of any Wilco song. Good luck. I don't think most of the guys who have been in the band over the years could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    ...but he always tours with excellent backing bands....I'll watch him when he's 100....

And Wilco is excellent!!

Dishes are done dude.
    I saw him a few times when he toured with Phil and Friends some time in the early 2000s, and it was painful. No one was there to see Bob and whichever venue they played was a ghost town during his set, and sold out for Phil. It was terrible, and sad to see. I wouldn't go see him alone if the tickets were free.

Not into Wilco, but MMJ put on quite a rockin show.

Hall Of Fame
    If someone asked me which song, by anyone, I considered to be the most beautiful I've heard...I'd be torn between Springsteen's "New York City Serenade" and Dylan's "You're a Big Girl Now".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QZWodIRkEY
    Last edited by Timmy®; 04-23-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I'd be torn between Springsteen's "New York City Serenade" and Dylan's "You're a Big Girl Now".

FUnny you mention torn between, because that song sounds like someone tied between two horses facing opposite directions... then someone shoots a gun in the air..whilst a Muzak version of Wild Horses plays in the background.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    To be honest, Wilco and MMJ both took off with me when I caught them live. Studio recording s don't do either of them justice. But you'd be hard pressed to find better live acts out there today.

Borg, check out Cline's work on this one. Especially the solo at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I79...e_gdata_player