Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: RICHIE HAVENS HAS DIED

  1. #1

    RICHIE HAVENS HAS DIED

    Just saw that Havens died of a heart attack. RIP.

    Richie Havens, who sang and strummed for a sea of people at Woodstock, has died of a heart attack Monday, his family said in a statement. He was 72.

    Havens, a folk singer and guitarist, was the first performer at the three-day 1969 Woodstock Festival. He returned to the site during the 40th anniversary in 2009.

    "Everything in my life, and so many others, is attached to that train," he said in a 2009 interview with The Associated Press.

    Havens was born in Brooklyn. He was known for his crafty guitar work and cover songs, including his well-received impersonation of Bob Dylan's "Just Like a Woman."

    The singer's website said he had kidney surgery years ago and that he never recovered enough to perform concerts like he used to.

    Havens performed at Bill Clinton's presidential Inauguration in 1993. He has released more than 25 albums. His last album was 2008's "Nobody Left to Crown."

    "I really sing songs that move me," he said in an interview with The Denver Post. "I'm not in show business; I'm in the communications business. That's what it's about for me."

    A public memorial will be planned for a later date.


    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-...-heart-attack/

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBbXKsKXyNU

  2. #2

  3. #3
    RIP, Richie
    Many in that wonderful, insightful, courageous, generation who survived the sex, drugs and rock & roll are now entering there golden years and leaving us little by little. Yet there message of peace and love and equality and there music will live long after all of them are gone.

  4. #4
    Over four decades and 25 albums, Richie Havens has used his music to convey messages of brotherhood and personal freedom. Cutting his teeth on the fertile ’60s music scene of Greenwich Village and interpreting tunes by Bob Dylan, he gained even more notoriety after opening the Woodstock festival on August 15, 1969.

    The festival was off to a shaky start—several hours after the scheduled kickoff time, not a note of music had been played. Organizers convinced Havens to go on stage alone with his guitar and entertain the hundreds of thousands waiting for the music to begin. Each time he tried to finish his set, he found himself being talked into going back out. But after two hours and 45 minutes of playing, Havens ran out of material.

    So he improvised. Over the intensely rhythmic strum of his own acoustic, Havens composed a festival-inspired song called “Freedom” on the spot (building on a snatch of the traditional “Motherless Child”). The tune was immortalized in the Woodstock film, and Havens has been performing it ever since. “I feel that it doesn’t belong to me anyway,” he said in 2002. “It belongs to everything that made it come out.”

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    RIP, Richie
    Many in that wonderful, insightful, courageous, generation who survived the sex, drugs and rock & roll are now entering there golden years and leaving us little by little. Yet there message of peace and love and equality and there music will live long after all of them are gone.
    Wonderful sentiment.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dncuk7aiz9Y

  6. #6
    Always appreciated Havens' chunky strumming in his trademark open D tuning. Just found this item online.

    How I play
    I learned how to play in order to sing the songs I heard in Greenwich Village in the late 1950's into the early 60’s. They were a different kind of song than the Doo Wop songs I sang in Brooklyn with my friends. They were songs that made me think and even confirmed many of my own theories about Human Beings and what we were supposed to be.

    So I wanted to learn fast. I wanted my friends in Brooklyn to hear these songs, I thought they might hear what I heard and felt them, And many of them did. Through the years many young people have asked if I teach the guitar, but being on the road since 1967 and still going, I didn't have the time. So this page is dedicated to all those young guys out there wishing to sing their songs in a couple of days.

    In most of the songs we like, there are very few chords being played. So, you could and should only start with songs you love... that's the fastest way to learn to play you will ever find.

    There are pictures to help you make the necessary sounds for you to start singing your favorite songs. Just follow the instructions and I'll be in the audiance seeing you on stage in the near future.
    so you could be playing the songs you love in a matter of hours.

    TUNING YOUR GUITAR

    There are many open tunings you could experiment with but they require you to use your fingers as in normal tuning, this method is very simple and does not require learning countless positions. My way of playing requires very few fingering positions and very little time to learn them so you could be playing the songs you love in a matter of hours.

    HOW I TUNE

    I tune my guitar in an open D tuning, which is in the structure of an E chord, of a correctly tuned guitar. I tune down to the key of D...
    D A D F# A D ...from top to bottom

    Use a tuner or a pitch pipe to help you tune if you do not know anything about musical notes, or a piano will do. Once you have achieved this you are ready to be the next singer/songwriter on your street. Your friends won't believe it. That's the way it happened to me. The main thing is that you have fun doing it.

    I have found many of the chords I play by looking for sounds I liked, you too should not stop at just learning what is on this page. You will discover sounds I have not& i'm sure...

    With the following few chord configurations you will be able to sing thousands of songs... if you want to know that many

    But for now, just learn how to put your fingers to get the sounds.

    http://www.richiehavens.com/official...w-to-play.html

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Just saw that Havens died of a heart attack. RIP.

    Richie Havens, who sang and strummed for a sea of people at Woodstock, has died of a heart attack Monday, his family said in a statement. He was 72.

    Havens, a folk singer and guitarist, was the first performer at the three-day 1969 Woodstock Festival. He returned to the site during the 40th anniversary in 2009.

    "Everything in my life, and so many others, is attached to that train," he said in a 2009 interview with The Associated Press.

    Havens was born in Brooklyn. He was known for his crafty guitar work and cover songs, including his well-received impersonation of Bob Dylan's "Just Like a Woman."

    The singer's website said he had kidney surgery years ago and that he never recovered enough to perform concerts like he used to.

    Havens performed at Bill Clinton's presidential Inauguration in 1993. He has released more than 25 albums. His last album was 2008's "Nobody Left to Crown."

    "I really sing songs that move me," he said in an interview with The Denver Post. "I'm not in show business; I'm in the communications business. That's what it's about for me."

    A public memorial will be planned for a later date.


    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-...-heart-attack/

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBbXKsKXyNU
    He played a small venue here in Charlotte a few years back, I met him in "the greenroom", he signed a CD I bought.

    He was very entertaining.....

    He left a footprint no doubt. RIP.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    He played a small venue here in Charlotte a few years back, I met him in "the greenroom", he signed a CD I bought.

    He was very entertaining.....

    He left a footprint no doubt. RIP.
    Very underrated as a vocalist, IMO.

  9. #9
    According to sources close to the family, Richie's last words were, "Yes, I was much better than that hack Gary Moore."




  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,381
    R.I.P.

  11. #11
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,342
    FREEDOM!


    RIP

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,566
    RIP



    And thank you.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    According to sources close to the family, Richie's last words were, "Yes, I was much better than that hack Gary Moore."



    Nine posts in, not bad.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Organizers convinced Havens to go on stage alone with his guitar and entertain the hundreds of thousands waiting for the music to begin.
    I don't get it. IIRC, there was at least another guitar player and a percussionist on stage with him at all times.

    In any event, here is my favorite Havens cover. RIP.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooiHcS7trlU

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I don't get it. IIRC, there was at least another guitar player and a percussionist on stage with him at all times.

    In any event, here is my favorite Havens cover. RIP.
    My signed Richie Havens CD..... I put it on my signed ELP album .


  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    My signed Richie Havens CD..... I put it on my signed ELP album .
    Nice. Havens even had beautiful penmanship.

  17. #17
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    According to sources close to the family, Richie's last words were, "Yes, I was much better than that hack Gary Moore."






    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Nine posts in, not bad.







    -

  18. #18
    RIP. Most of all, I really liked his unique way of enunciating lyrics.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    My signed Richie Havens CD..... I put it on my signed ELP album .


    is that the Hanson album on the right?

  20. #20

    Talking Goodbye to another '60s Icon.

    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    RIP, Richie
    Many in that wonderful, insightful, courageous, generation who survived the sex, drugs and rock & roll are now entering there golden years and leaving us little by little. Yet there message of peace and love and equality and there music will live long after all of them are gone.
    ++ Here, Here. I saw Richie play way back in the Sixties at the Bitter End in the East Village and also at Googies. In the 1990's he was at Monmouth College in NJ and gave a great performance. If anyone wants his old LP albums(vinyl), let me know-- I have them in storage.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us