Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 is our year

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leginius View Post
    It can go both ways. If Stephen Hill can catch the football against the Patriots the Jets have 7 wins. If Sanchez doesn't fumble the snap against the Titans the Jets are then 8-6 and have something to play for in the last two games.

You can't say this team deserved 4 wins. It's football; freak plays happen, wins get stolen and at the end of the day you are your record.
    Yep. This past season, if our QB turned just 2-3 of those INTs into TDs, we would have been in the playoffs. The year before, if we kept a strangle hold on the Giants before they turned the tide, WE would've been in the playoffs and the Giants would NOT have even made the playoffs let alone won the Super Bowl (and then THEY would've been "rebuilding"). The NFL season is just THAT fragile! Amazing how some of you all think it is so cut and dried, good and bad. Every season has surprises from preseason predictions to playoffs. Every season has turnarounds in MID-season! Many people wrote off the Giants two years ago mid-season and the Ravens mid-season this past year. THEY CHANGED THEIR OC MID-SEASON AND WON A FREAKIN' SUPER BOWL! Get it yet? It's about being healthy, getting hot and EXECUTING. Each season is so fragile. One play can turn one game, one game can turn a whole season. If the Pats lose Brady, the season is WIDE open. Nobody cheers for it, but every year injuries happen, and injuries change a whole franchise's direction in a heartbeat. Just as Revis', Holmes' and Keller's injuries this past season derailed us. This is the NFL. Every snap, every inch matter in this game.

The fans AND the team need to lose this loser tool mentality. And now.
    Last edited by ChrisChrusher#40; 04-23-2013 at 12:08 PM.

This is a BAD team folks! Spin it anyway you want I really don't see improvements.

If this was the Dolphins or Bills we will all be laughing at them predicting 2-3 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    What is really interesting about 2014 are reports that if the Jets cut Sanchez (likely), Holmes (likely) and Harris (possible or at least a restructuring), the Jets are projected to have somewhere between 40-50 million in cap space. Although Idzik does not seem like the type to spend big money on FA, I wonder what the team is going to do with all that cap space. I doubt he hits the market, but I read somewhere that Matt Ryan's contract expires after 2013.

Would you throw huge money at Matt Ryan?
    $40 - $50M but 20 spots to fill, including starting QB, starting RB, at least one #2 WR (depending on Stephen Hill and Kearly), a TE. On defense they will most likely need 1 CB, 2 new LB.

So there will be money, but they also have quite a few holes to fill.

THey will most likely get something like

Normal Picks +
    1 Extra 3rd
    1 Pick at end of 5th
    1 Pick at end of 6th
    1-2 picks at end of draft

Try to remember, most of the guys the Jets will get, will not pan out. Most guys drafted this late don't start, and almost none start their first season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Would you throw huge money at Matt Ryan?
    lel @ you for thinking the Falcons would let Ryan come anywhere near the open market.

Quote Originally Posted by AceBoy View Post
    This is a BAD team folks! Spin it anyway you want I really don't see improvements.

If this was the Dolphins or Bills we will all be laughing at them predicting 2-3 wins.
    All 3 of us are in the same boat someone has to finish 2nd in the east and will have at least 8 wins. Only one team a year has 2-3 wins and that is Oakland this year IMO. Buff may give them a run for their money but they have more viable players. If we find a QB our D is much better then anything Miami or Buff has. I would also argue we have a much better OL then either. We have the higher up side then them IMO. We are all making major changes to our O and one of us will get lucky and finish in the top 20. With our D I simply think we have a higher ceiling then those 2 but none of us are 3-13 bad IMO.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Quote Originally Posted by AceBoy View Post

We DID laugh at the Dolphins and predicted 1-4 wins last year. They looked like a rebuilding year for them, but they retooled and installed a new offense and improved. That's how you do it. Not gut and rebuild over and over every 3-7 years. Doesn't work that way in the NFL anymore. Players and coaches aren't on the same team for good like they used to be. You have to tweak and improve in 1-2 years or else get fired. We must draft well this year and next, add a few good young players via draft and free agency and we'll be right there. If not, and this year and next we suck, it's total rebuild time (coaching staff fired and core players too old), and THEN we're f***ed.
    Last edited by ChrisChrusher#40; 04-23-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    $40 - $50M but 20 spots to fill, including starting QB, starting RB, at least one #2 WR (depending on Stephen Hill and Kearly), a TE. On defense they will most likely need 1 CB, 2 new LB.

So there will be money, but they also have quite a few holes to fill.

THey will most likely get something like

Normal Picks +
    1 Extra 3rd
    1 Pick at end of 5th
    1 Pick at end of 6th
    1-2 picks at end of draft

Try to remember, most of the guys the Jets will get, will not pan out. Most guys drafted this late don't start, and almost none start their first season.
    Sure we'll need players next year - but with $50mm you can fill holes will talent. You mention 7 holes (I would say it's less than that but...) that's an average of over $7mm per player.

You can fill those holes with top flight talent for that!!! The rest of the roster will be young and fast with at least a full year under their belt.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChrusher#40 View Post
    We DID laugh at the Dolphins. Looked like a rebuilding year for them, but they retooled and installed a new offense and improved. That's how you do it. Not gut and rebuild over and over every 3-7 years. Doesn't work that way in the NFL anymore. Players and coaches aren't on the same team for good like they used to be. You have to tweak and improve in 1-2 years or else get fired.
    +1
    Miami was a laughing stock after Hardknocks last year!
    Everything that happens in the NFL is overanalyzed now. This team has an all pro LT, all pro Center, all pro corner.
    If they get an OLB that is good, Rex will have them flying around again on defense, they will be much faster than last year.
    We really only lost Landry on defense, not one other cut defender has been signed by any of the 31 other teams in this league.
    Jets always play better as dogs.

I am not seeing the 4 or 5 compensatory picks. You only get a compensatory pick if you lost a FA, and didn't sign a replacing FA or equal nature. So cutting Scott,Pace,Pouha, etc gets you nothing. You have to tabulate the losses of Keller, Greene, etc. I am not sure how they calculate the one year contract guys like Landry, and Bell, but I know they are hard to get compensatory picks for, even if they were starters. Plus I know they have already signed a number of FA like Landry and Garard etc.

I am not 100% sure how many pure FA the jets loss, compared to how many FA they picked up, but if someone could list them, side by side it would be very helpful, for this thread.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by PETER PAT View Post
    I am not seeing the 4 or 5 compensatory picks. You only get a compensatory pick if you lost a FA, and didn't sign a replacing FA or equal nature. So cutting Scott,Pace,Pouha, etc gets you nothing. You have to tabulate the losses of Keller, Greene, etc. I am not sure how they calculate the one year contract guys like Landry, and Bell, but I know they are hard to get compensatory picks for, even if they were starters. Plus I know they have already signed a number of FA like Landry and Garard etc.

I am not 100% sure how many pure FA the jets loss, compared to how many FA they picked up, but if someone could list them, side by side it would be very helpful, for this thread.
    I could see your interest in dwelling around a rival teams fanboyz message board, because you can always throw out your dominance, however im a bit baffled as to why you would care so much about the Jets compensatory compensation.

I mean, really? Do you find it interesting, or merely hope to correct any overcompensation myths?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChrusher#40 View Post
    WTF is this constant 3-4 win garbage? This loser mentality is f***๕๕ lame and it is flat out despicable. Our problems with our massive collapse in 2011 and our failure to launch in 2012 were related to injuries, lack of depth and absolutely terrible offensive coordinators. Schitty was bad, Sparano was just as bad if not worse (it's close, either way). This is the NFL, and teams go up and down all the time based on a few tweaks, the schedule, and being coached up. This is not the 1960s-80s where you were good and stayed good for a decade or bad and stayed bad for a decade. Teams change from year to year in this era of free agency. If you can pass the ball and defend the pass, you can do some damage in this league.

MM is a HUGE upgrade; Sanchez has one more shot and will need FAN SUPPORT, running game already looking better; Rex gets bashed left and right but only the most delusional Rex-haters would deny the fact that he knows how to field a respected, tough defense (and if we let him go, he'd get a DC job in a heartbeat, if not a HC if enough teams were on the market for one); we have some draft picks coming; some returning injured players; good new players signed to sound contracts... it's just looking on the up and up. How some of you say it's looking down is pathetic. We will NOT be worse than last year. If we are, the players game up on the coach, and THEN we will have a rebuilding year, which, again, is asinine and we'll be doing the 3-5 year cycle of repetitive doom again. This is not it. There is still a soilid core, and if we rebuild, you're looking at getting rid of Mangold and all the other decent players we have in the core. It is a turnaround year this year, or we TOTALLY rebuild. Enough already with that throw a year horse$#+ะใ.

Meanwhile, LOSING ON PURPOSE TO COMPILE DRAFT CHOICES ALMOST NEVER WORKS. Unless you have Mr. 15-year-franchise QB in the top 5 picks, it is pointless and career suicide to throw a season on purpose. How freaking stupid do some of you have to be to believe that! Are the 2nd comings of Dan Marino, Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Bret Favre, or Peyton Manning in the top 5 next year?! That is the one and ONLY reason why you' throw a season. And even then, you are a loser for doing it on purpose. You always ALWAYS try, if you fail and definitely not in the playoffs, THEN and ONLY then would you even think about bagging the season then, not going INTO s season. WTF... times like this I am ashamed to be a Jets fan.

We are likely winning 7-8 games after the draft and free agency/trades are all said and done (I'm confident in Idzyk's resume). We have an accomplished offensive coordinator for the 1st time in memory. I cannot remember when was the last time we had one with a decent pro resume. Been a while. If our offense clicks, we could win 8-9. If the offense does not click, 4-6. If we were not in the same division as the Patriots and play teams like the Ravens, I would predict more wins either way, but we're playing savvy playoff teams and are retooling. There is NO WAY this team just wins 2-3 games. Anyone who thinks that is an option just needs to quit watching sports. And any player, coach, or GM that goes into a season thinking that way also needs to get a new job. God, why watch the games or even suit up? Sickening.
    A-****ING-MEN! My sentiments exactly.

But I gotta say, Sparano was FAR worse than Schitty. Dude actually had me wishing for Paul Hackett. Good news is MM is FAR better than both of them. He's the most complete OC we've had since Dan Henning. The passing game has already improved just by hiring him.

All League
    Marty might be able to make something out of our offense but not as it is set up now. In Philly they were stacked at every skill position. McCoy is an elite back. Very deep receiving corp and Celek is an underrated talent at TE. Their offense did what it did with injuries to their OL and Vick, plus throwing a rookie QB into the mix.

Our skill position players are non existent. I love how everyone is overrating our pickups. Goodson is not an upgrade over Greene. Greene ran for 1000+ yards 2 years in a row with no passing offense to speak of. Goodson hasn't come close to that. We haven't picked up Ivory yet and even if we do, there a questions whether they can maintain a heavier work load then they have had in the past.

We still need 2 guards and a RT. TE is vacant. Holmes is coming off a serious I jury with little other than Kerley.

Now throw in the big ole steaming pile of dog crap we have at QB. Now you can understand why Jeremiah and Kiper are in agreement that this team resembles an expansion team.

Quote Originally Posted by PETER PAT View Post

Qualifying FA are ones not cut before the end of their contracts. Guys like Garrard and Landry dont count against us. Devito, Landry, Keller, Bell, Greene, Slauson, and still maybe Moore, Chaz, and Edwards may all be qualifying FA we lost. I think we have signed 2 maybe 3 qualifying guys back and none of them for over 2 mil. So All the guys that sign for over a 2 mil deal we could very likely get something back on. Right now Landry, Greene, Keller, and Devito all will get something back. Moore will get signed eventually if he doesnt return and out side of him this team isnt looking at signing any FA that negate those 4 deals.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    I could see your interest in dwelling around a rival teams fanboyz message board, because you can always throw out your dominance, however im a bit baffled as to why you would care so much about the Jets compensatory compensation.

I mean, really? Do you find it interesting, or merely hope to correct any overcompensation myths?
    Lolz...You're okay if he's here trolling, rubbing your nose in his "dominance" as you put it. But you take issue if he's trying to talk football about your team?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    So say we do have like 35-50 mil in cap space next year. What top FA do you guys even think we target? Really seems like a bad year to go shopping IMO.

2014 free agents
    QB
    Cutler

RB
    MJD
    Ben Tate - Only guy I would want to go after
    McFadden

WR
    Jeremy Maclin
    Hakeem Nicks - Tag

TE
    Greg Olsen
    Finley
    All of North America will hear my orgasm if we land McFadden. Mart M. can go to hell, i'd rather have DMC babeee!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Z 6 View Post
    Lol really,.. what we won 6-7 games last year.... we get rid of half the starters... implement a new offense... and we are going to win more? nope
    Last year's team will be worse then this year's team when all perosnnel moves are completed.

Undrafted Free Agent
    The Jets can't possibly perform worse on offense this year than they did last year. An upgrade in the OC should improve the unit, even if Sanchez is still at QB (which I don't think will happen anyay). The defense will be younger and quicker and will keep the Jets competitive in plenty of games, so with just a minimal improvement at the QB position plus a decent draft, I predict 6-7 wins. And as a few others have mentioned, it's when expectations are low that the Jets just go out there and surprise everyone.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckkieB View Post
    The Jets can't possibly perform worse on offense this year than they did last year. An upgrade in the OC should improve the unit, even if Sanchez is still at QB (which I don't think will happen anyay). The defense will be younger and quicker and will keep the Jets competitive in plenty of games, so with just a minimal improvement at the QB position plus a decent draft, I predict 6-7 wins. And as a few others have mentioned, it's when expectations are low that the Jets just go out there and surprise everyone.
    I coulda swore i heard the exact same thing on this exact same forum, exactly 1 year ago!

(aint gonna happen till Sanchez is gone)

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    lel @ you for thinking the Falcons would let Ryan come anywhere near the open market.
    Thus the "I doubt he hits the open market" part of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    So say we do have like 35-50 mil in cap space next year. What top FA do you guys even think we target? Really seems like a bad year to go shopping IMO.

2014 free agents
    QB
    Cutler

RB
    MJD
    Ben Tate - Only guy I would want to go after
    McFadden

WR
    Jeremy Maclin
    Hakeem Nicks - Tag

TE
    Greg Olsen
    Finley

OL
    Michael Oher - Tag
    Eben Britton
    Branden Albert
    Richie Incognito - just for the name

DL
    Justin Smith - Tag
    Jared Allen - Tag
    Justin Tuck

LB
    Lance Briggs
    D.J. Williams - Tag
    Stewart Bradley
    Akeem Jordan - The draft pick I know a lot of you wanted

CB
    Antoine Cason
    Perrish Cox - Maybe
    Aqib Talib
    Charles Tillman
    Some good Cbs

S
    Donte Whitner?
    No way the ravens tag Oher at 10mill to play RT, Neither will a 35 YO Justin Smith, With Kapernick going into his walk year.

Victor Cruz, is a guy I can see the jets targeting or at least driving up the price on. Jacoby Jones is another

Finley as a TE, who has experience in the same offense.