Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: if Matt Barkley is available at 39th overall

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Three guys? The best of the lot is arguably Carson Palmer, and sorry, for a program that has as much history and cache as USC, when your best pro QB product is Carson Palmer, something there is amiss. Michigan has Brady, UND has Montana, Alabama has Namath & Stabler, UCLA has Aikman, but USC? Nope, not one successful NFL QB has come from an all time program that has a history for passing the ball.

    P.S.: USC isn't the only one. You should never, ever, take a highly touted QB from Oregon (aside from Fouts, it's been HORRIBLE) and U. Houston as well.
    So lets recap, you claim that one QB, Palmer from USC is sh1t and prove it by listing other schools that do a better job of producing QB's by list one QB for each school, other than Alabama? Alabama that is a much bigger school, historically than USC?

    Pretty funny, I could go through the list of ND busts at QB, the list is HUGE.

  2. #42
    Born June 28, 1960, in Port Angeles, Washington, John Albert Elway revealed his athletic prowess early in life.
    John was such a strong and accurate passer in his Pop Warner league and elementary school days that, when he was ready for high school, his father moved the Elway family to the greater Los Angeles area, so John could play in the pass-oriented offense of the Granada Hills High School Highlanders football team. The move paid dividends as John completed 60 percent of his passes for 5,711 yards and 49 touchdowns over his four years of high school.
    Warren Moon Born in LA. Played college ball at the University of Washington. Started pro career in CFL before being signed by Houston Oilers. Southern Californian toughened up U of W and CFL.
    Elway not born in Southern Cal. Family moved there when he started HS as per article. One out five batting pct .200. I'll take Westen PA boys and QB prospects from anywhere in the in the North, Midwest and Texas over any Southern Cal prospects. Even Aaron Rodgers said there is a big difference between growing up in Northern Cal. and Southern Cal. Big difference in life styles.

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,807
    o f uck no

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    So lets recap, you claim that one QB, Palmer from USC is sh1t and prove it by listing other schools that do a better job of producing QB's by list one QB for each school, other than Alabama? Alabama that is a much bigger school, historically than USC?

    Pretty funny, I could go through the list of ND busts at QB, the list is HUGE.
    Hmm, I'd love to see where i was claiming that palmer was sh1t. Putting words in my mouth is a bad way to debate. So is not getting my point.

    My point is that for a school that has the history and cache of USC, especially given their reputation as a pro-style school since pretty much the 80s, having Carson Palmer as the top representative of the QB position in the NFL isn't exactly something to write about. I'm not saying he's crap, or shouldn't be in the league, or anything else you want to misinterpret, just that his body of work representing the best USC has to offer in the pro ranks isn't exactly much to boast about. Did I make that clearer for you?

    As to your other point, OF COURSE most schools will produce more QBs who don't pan out than do. That's just the nature of the position. And yes the Notre Dame bust list is big, but you do know in addition to Montana they also produced Joe Theismann, Daryle Lamonica, and Steve Beuerlein? Michigan also produced Harbaugh who had a quality NFL career. 'Bama also gave the NFL Richard Todd and Bart Starr. So no, it's not just 1 quality QB those programs have produced, and my point was that most of the historic programs have AT LEAST 1 great pro QB who has come from there. Which is why I only listed 1 for most of my examples. Those names I just listed in addition to the ones I listed in my first post are mostly HOFers and/or SB winners, and the rest had careers at least comparable to Palmer's.

    Let's not break out the list of USC pro QBs and see how horrible it's been without as much as 1 saving grace, unless you want to count Palmer. We can agree to disagree on that.
    Last edited by Down, Set, Haiku; 04-23-2013 at 03:42 PM.

  5. #45
    yea you roll the dice and you take the best QB prospect in the draft class.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    No QB's in Rounds 1, 2 or 3.

    If we take a flier on someone after that, so be it.

    But no QB's in Rounds 1, 2 or 3.

    Not in this weak-topend QB draft.
    What do those 2 have to do with each other. Your not getting a blue chip guy in the 2nd round EVER. Taking Barkley, Glennon, or Nassib in the 2nd would be like any other late 1st early 2nd rounder that could be a starter. Yeah not top end heavy that doesnt mean non of them are worth a 2nd 3rd rounder. There are guys here easy worth a 2nd rounder. I get not wanting to jump on them in the top 16 like teams did Ponder and Locker. But sorry it doesnt mean they are worthless QBs. You could very well find a solid starter in this group. It isnt a reach at that point if you think he can even be an average starter in the league and no it isnt committing 3-4 years.

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Posts
    5,669
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    should the Jets take him?
    phuck no

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Hmm, I'd love to see where i was claiming that palmer was sh1t. Putting words in my mouth is a bad way to debate. So is not getting my point.

    My point is that for a school that has the history and cache of USC, especially given their reputation as a pro-style school since pretty much the 80s, having Carson Palmer as the top representative of the QB position in the NFL isn't exactly something to write about. I'm not saying he's crap, or shouldn't be in the league, or anything else you want to misinterpret, just that his body of work representing the best USC has to offer in the pro ranks isn't exactly much to boast about. Did I make that clearer for you?

    As to your other point, OF COURSE most schools will produce more QBs who don't pan out than do. That's just the nature of the position. And yes the Notre Dame bust list is big, but you do know in addition to Montana they also produced Joe Theismann, Daryle Lamonica, and Steve Beuerlein? Michigan also produced Harbaugh who had a quality NFL career. 'Bama also gave the NFL Richard Todd and Bart Starr. So no, it's not just 1 quality QB those programs have produced, and my point was that most of the historic programs have AT LEAST 1 great pro QB who has come from there. Which is why I only listed 1 for most of my examples. Those names I just listed in addition to the ones I listed in my first post are mostly HOFers and/or SB winners, and the rest had careers at least comparable to Palmer's.

    Let's not break out the list of USC pro QBs and see how horrible it's been without as much as 1 saving grace, unless you want to count Palmer. We can agree to disagree on that.
    With all due respect, USC football was pretty bad for much of the 90's, and didn't start the "pro-style" passing-heavy attack until the early 00's. Before that? They ran it. And ran it. And ran it some more. Trying to put together a list of great passers out of USC is like trying to come up with a list of great passers from Navy, or great running backs out of Hawaii.
    I would rather people just admit their bias, and confess they don't like USC before trying to argue USC quarterbacks "just aren't that good." What, does putting on the helmet somehow make QB's from USC overrated? All the different coaches, all the different systems, all the different talent, but yeah, something about the water at USC makes the quarterbacking bad. Ridiculous. Matt Barkley has as much to do with Mark Sanchez as Joe Montana does to Brady Quinn. Same school, that's it.

  9. #49
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by FreemanMC View Post
    With all due respect, USC football was pretty bad for much of the 90's, and didn't start the "pro-style" passing-heavy attack until the early 00's. Before that? They ran it. And ran it. And ran it some more. Trying to put together a list of great passers out of USC is like trying to come up with a list of great passers from Navy, or great running backs out of Hawaii.
    I would rather people just admit their bias, and confess they don't like USC before trying to argue USC quarterbacks "just aren't that good." What, does putting on the helmet somehow make QB's from USC overrated? All the different coaches, all the different systems, all the different talent, but yeah, something about the water at USC makes the quarterbacking bad. Ridiculous. Matt Barkley has as much to do with Mark Sanchez as Joe Montana does to Brady Quinn. Same school, that's it.
    Ahhh some actual logic. Refreshing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us