Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: if Matt Barkley is available at 39th overall

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Have you people never heard of sample size? Just because three guys have disappointed doesn't mean every USC QB from now till the end of time will do the same. If you like the player, draft him.
    Three guys? The best of the lot is arguably Carson Palmer, and sorry, for a program that has as much history and cache as USC, when your best pro QB product is Carson Palmer, something there is amiss. Michigan has Brady, UND has Montana, Alabama has Namath & Stabler, UCLA has Aikman, but USC? Nope, not one successful NFL QB has come from an all time program that has a history for passing the ball.

P.S.: USC isn't the only one. You should never, ever, take a highly touted QB from Oregon (aside from Fouts, it's been HORRIBLE) and U. Houston as well.
    Last edited by Down, Set, Haiku; 04-23-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO WAY

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barkley could be the new Jake Locker.

Everyone criticized him for staying, destroying his draft status, said he lost something in the film room, and now Locker is starting for the Titans and they think he has potential franchise ability. QBs rise and fall throughout this league in rapid form.

He's not Andrew Luck, but I wonder how many teams are going to look at their situation and just say, "F it" and start a league-wide roundtable of tanking their seasons just to grab high-ranking QB prospects upon whom they hope do not just bust the team with the burden of their play on the field, but the opportunity cost of the multiple picks they gave up that are necessary to build a competitive football team.

Lots of Jets fans on this board have signed up on the dotted line.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 04-23-2013 at 04:03 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    should the Jets take him?
    No! We trade the pick to another stupid team who wants this project. For this draft, take no QB till the 3rd or 4th round. Please

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JmercJETS View Post
    Tyler Wilson and Zac Dysert are better imo
    Wilson is a dumbed down version of Barkley not better is any way shape or form. Zac is a project Barkley isnt. Barkley just needs to learn to break down film IMO. He fell for some traps this year designed to take advantage of his small WRs. Barkley's biggest issue last year was Kiffens play calling which is historically bad. Kiffen never adjusted his game plan which yes most average to below average college coaches dont. What is he supposed to not run the plays being called in? Barkley showed great leadership staying with USC like he did but Kiffen is the picture of a lamb duck coach. Not one person I have talked to know how Kiffen still has a job at USC. They just gave him too much money to throw away I guess. Barkley is one of the most accurate QB in college I have ever seen. He does have a pro arm despite some criticism and can read Ds already which is something maybe 1% of college QBs can do coming out. Prospect wise he is somewhere in between guys like Pennington and Brees, I'll take that in a minute in the 2nd round.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO!!!! QB'S That are born and play college ball in Southern California are not mentally tough enough to play in the NFL. I hope the Jets never draft a QB from Southern California again. Palmer, Leinart, Sanchez == FLOPS!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    NO!!!! QB'S That are born and play college ball in Southern California are not mentally tough enough to play in the NFL. I hope the Jets never draft a QB from Southern California again. Palmer, Leinart, Sanchez == FLOPS!
    I'm not a Barkley defender, but statements like this are really irrelevant when it comes to rating talent. John Elway and Warren Moon were born in Southern California...I heard they turned out to be decent QBs.

Are you saying that if Elway had chosen USC or UCLA over Stanford that he wouldn't have been a #1 draft pick and gone on to have a HOF career?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-E-F-F View Post
    Nothing against Matt Barkley specifically, but I really hope we don't draft a quarterback this year, especially in the first three rounds.

It's extremely likely that Rex and staff will be let go at the end of the year, and, if that's the case, I don't want to start from square one again if the new coaching staff doesn't like our QB.
    I think you're right on. If the Jets want to keep Rex, they may draft a QB this year. If they think he won't be around they will wait until next year. They should really have an idea already if they want to keep him or not. His success this year shouldn't have a whole lot to do with it, since his talent level will keep him from having a great year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    Barkley is not those guys. For what it is worth a ton of QBs have come out of southern California. Your not going to hit on every one. To judge him based on 2 guys he looks nothing alike on the field just makes 0 sense. Palmer wasnt a flop also. Not only did the Bangles get a few good years out of him but got a lot back when they traded him. Before his injury there where very few people that didnt think he was good. If we got that play out of a 2nd rounder it would be our best pick ever.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    barkley is another chad, shoulder issues and all. he could run marty's offense but where's the upside, like with chad?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd take Barkley at 39. Not buying the USC QB thing. He was a 4 year starter and is far more NFL ready than Sanchez was.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No QB's in Rounds 1, 2 or 3.

If we take a flier on someone after that, so be it.

But no QB's in Rounds 1, 2 or 3.

Not in this weak-topend QB draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt Barkley Pro Day

http://youtu.be/--dKX1caRjo
    Last edited by JetFuel; 04-23-2013 at 10:02 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    should the Jets take him?
    No. Because of the Sanchez failure, taking Barkley would be a mistake. He would get blamed for Sanchez's struggles because he's from the same school. I don't think he would get a fair shake in New York. Not a good idea at all

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh god....no....why would that ever cross your mind.....I mean.....wow......no...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    I would draft a QB every yr until jets found a real leader!!! Maybe even 2WO QB's a yr.
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    Matt Barkley Pro Day

the video begins right after he finishes throwing and they don't show a single throw in the video. So please tell me why you posted it? What a complete waste of time.

Anyway, he won't be there at 39, but if he is, that's an easy pick to make.

He is a much better prospect and far more polished than Sanchez was and at 39, he would be a great value.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    Matt Barkley Pro Day

Barkley pro day was all about proving his arm was healed. He didnt light it up trying to prove his arm strength. Rightfully so because he didnt want to throw his rehab back. He was only what 3-4 month back from surgery?