Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Must see TV tonight...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Must see TV tonight...

8pm ESPN 30 for 30, From Elway to Marino.

Who can forget their own stunned expression when the Jets passed on Dan Marino, whose release was compared to Joe Willie's, to draft someone you never heard of. That entire draft changed the NFL and I'm sure this show will be top notch for older fans and younger alike.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

BTW ESPN's website for the series has a link with a clip regarding the O'Brien selection... unfortunately I'm sure I would mess up the link using my phone. If someone else could post it thanks

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    That is just a painful clip to watch. I know all teams miss great players in drafts, but when you look at this team's history (and based on the needs they had in particular drafts):

The Jets could have realistically had Dan Marino running play-action fakes to Emmitt Smith and hitting Jerry Rice downfield, with Warren Sapp rushing the passer on the other side.

Other than maybe Smith, no one would have been surprised had those guys been the Jets selections in those particular drafts.

Come on, Idzik - make us proud on Thursday for a change!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

To be fair to O'brien, he had a far better career than two of the other QB's drafted ahead of him(Eason and Blackledge). Plus, the Dolphins Player Personnel guy at the time said he would've taken O'Brien if the Jets had taken Marino.
    Last edited by scott dierking II; 04-23-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by scott dierking II View Post
    To be fair to O'brien, he had a far better career than two of the other QB's drafted ahead of him(Eason and Blackledge). Plus, the Dolphins Player Personnel guy at the time said he would've taken O'Brien if the Jets had taken Marino.
    To be fair 6th rd pick Brady has had a better career then Chaddy who was the first QB selected in the first rd in the same draft.. Let me guess your a Kenny fan?? BTW Eason sucked but he did get his team to a Super Bowl KO never even won a playoff game..

I'm looking forward to this.

Judging from the two minute preview I watched yesterday it seems like Marino's hatred with the Jets started that afternoon. Pretty funny. Dick.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Lived thru it once, don't want to see it again. I've abused my liver all these years trying to erase that memory.

Jets Insider VIP
    an unnamed source who became an nfl agent once told me at a later draft what the behind the scenes reason for not drafting Marino was..

The Jets drafted running back Dwayne Crutchfeld in an earlier draft, a guy with lots of character flaws. During the season prior to the Marino draft, Joe Walton discovered Dwayne in the sack with one of his lovely daughters. An edict was issued that ALL Jet draft picks from that moment forward needed to be squeaky clean in the character area.

Marino was rumored (I believe later proven false) to be involved with whitish powder in his senior year at Pitt. Walton and his edict got him removed from the Jets board and thus we drafted the squeakier than squeaky clean O Brien instead

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    That is just a painful clip to watch. I know all teams miss great players in drafts, but when you look at this team's history (and based on the needs they had in particular drafts):

The Jets could have realistically had Dan Marino running play-action fakes to Emmitt Smith and hitting Jerry Rice downfield, with Warren Sapp rushing the passer on the other side.

Other than maybe Smith, no one would have been surprised had those guys been the Jets selections in those particular drafts.

Come on, Idzik - make us proud on Thursday for a change!!
    Well, that's true for a lot of teams

Chiefs, Pats, and Jets all could have easily had Marino.

Emmitt Smith was not going to be the 2nd pick of the Blair Thomas draft, and most thought the Jets made the right move by getting him.

Rice was a a Div I-AA guy (Plus Toon never had Montana and Young throwing to him). Rice was the greatest

Sapp.... Well.. no excuse there.

Jets Insider VIP
    bypassing Marino for O'Brien was only horrible because we were drafting so late in the draft and no one figured Marino would be there

the two moron teams that passed on Marino to draft Todd Blackledge and Tony Eason made far, far worse choices

JetsInsider.com Legend
    http://youtu.be/rZxNeFLuY98

1.2 million views.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Marino had a rumored cocaine addiction at the time and a Low Wonderlick score.

Kenny O would have had a far better career of he wasn't facing pass rushers that looked like they were shot out of a cannon.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    bypassing Marino for O'Brien was only horrible because we were drafting so late in the draft and no one figured Marino would be there

the two moron teams that passed on Marino to draft Todd Blackledge and Tony Eason made far, far worse choices
    I agree with this. If there was no Dan Marino in that draft then the Ken O'Brien pick looks like a HUGE success. Getting a QB like Ken that late in the draft after having seen Blackledge and Eason get drafted was a surprise.

The biggest disappointment was that the Jets never protected Ken well enough and should have given him a better OLine over the years. He had great skill weapons around him....Wesley Walker, Al Toon, Freeman McNeil, etc. but was a statue with a strong arm, a lot like Vinny Testaverde.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 04-23-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    And let's not forget who won that 1986 Over Time game between the Jets and Dolphins. I was at this game, I was 11 years old, and it's the day I became a life-long Jets fan.

Ken O'Brien
    29 of 43, 479 Yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bwFfFOR_Kg

Practice Squad
    What was the excuse the Jets gave us? That Marino didn't have the arm for the winds at Shea and he wasn't smart enough to grasp the complex Jets offense?

Not for nothing, I did like O'Brien and feel if he had a line protecting him and if Gastenau doesn't get called for a late hit on Kosar, the Jets might have beaten Denver in the playoffs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    And let's not forget who won that 1986 Over Time game between the Jets and Dolphins. I was at this game, I was 11 years old, and it's the day I became a life-long Jets fan.

Ken O'Brien
    29 of 43, 479 Yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bwFfFOR_Kg
    Dan Marino 30-50 448 yds 6 tds.. The Fins weren't a great team in 86 8-8.. If Marino had the team Kenny had no doubt the Jets would have been in some bowls..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Every team but the 2nd to last team in the draft took a flyer on Marino because of the coke rumor.

Dolphins were coming off of a SB loss, had a good team and could take the chance on Marino. No one else would, which should tell you how strong the rumors were. Fins lucked out. Happens

Funny that only Jet fans continue to cry almost 30 years later about that draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Every team but the 2nd to last team in the draft took a flyer on Marino because of the coke rumor.

Dolphins were coming off of a SB loss, had a good team and could take the chance on Marino. No one else would, which should tell you how strong the rumors were. Fins lucked out. Happens

Funny that only Jet fans continue to cry almost 30 years later about that draft.
    You think Jetswin was crying when he started the thread??

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You think Jetswin was crying when he started the thread??
    Only must see for self-hating SOJFs

Since JAX 62 MIA 7 I havent stopped laughing