Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Must see TV tonight...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Only must see for self-hating SOJFs

Since JAX 62 MIA 7 I havent stopped laughing
    One of the best all time playoff butt kicking.. Jay Fiedler played in that game and the next year he was on the Fins.. Jags were good that year and were 14-2 lost in the AFCCG..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You think Jetswin was crying when he started the thread??

thank you lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Only must see for self-hating SOJFs

Since JAX 62 MIA 7 I havent stopped laughing
    I guess everyone missed my point of recommending what I thought would be an historically fascinating football doc. Pointing out the OB/Marino connection was to make the topic Jetscentric

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Lived thru it once, don't want to see it again. I've abused my liver all these years trying to erase that memory.
    SPOILER ALERT
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Jets pass, take O'Brien, Marino falls to Dolphins.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lived thru it once, don't want to see it again. I've abused my liver all these years trying to erase that memory.
    +1000

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You think Jetswin was crying when he started the thread??

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Curse of the Bamrino?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Great show... they are running an encore now if you missed it

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN 30 for 30: Elway to Marino

Really good documentary; Lots of good discussions possible.

What was the most shocking story?

1) Rozelle/NFL possibly blocking a trade of Elway to the Raiders because of Al Davis' lawsuit?

2) The 49ers had at least a discussion or two to trade Montana for Elway?

3) The idea that the Chargers used a possible trade for Elway as leverage in contract negotiations with Fouts?

4) A secretary at the Bills office sending a call through to Jim Kelly from the USFL when he was about to sign with Buffalo?
    Last edited by RoadFan; 04-23-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    Really good documentary; Lots of good discussions possible.

What was the most shocking story?

1) Rozelle/NFL possibly blocking a trade of Elway to the Raiders because of Al Davis' lawsuit?

2) The 49ers had at least a discussion or two to trade Montana for Elway?

3) The idea that the Chargers used a possible trade for Elway as leverage in contract negotiations with Fouts?

4) A secretary at the Bills office sending a call through to Jim Kelly from the USFL when he was about to sign with Buffalo?

5) The Pat's Sullivans were so inept that they wouldn't even let HC Ron Meyer see the draft board OR even the scouting reports.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    SPOILER ALERT
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Jets pass, take O'Brien, Marino falls to Dolphins.

SAR I
    yada...yada...yada...
    :
    :
    Fake Spike
    :
    :
    :
    Chad Pennington finishes career with as many Super Bowl rings as Dan Marino.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post

You don't like us, do you.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in my early 30s, so I don't remember the '83 draft. I've always heard though that supposedly Shula was one of the top guys behind planting the false Marino drug rumors so there was a much better chance he'd fall to Miami. I guess it's not out of the question since Shula pulled a bush-league move with the Mud Bowl game, not covering the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post

Yes, this should be watched over and over.

And over again.

Until you finally decide to throw in the towel and get your SOJF secret decoder ring on order.

#chinese_water_torture

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    5) The Pat's Sullivans were so inept that they wouldn't even let HC Ron Meyer see the draft board OR even the scouting reports.
    The Meyer line about Eason was pretty powerful and a classic one.

The part that astonished me the most was that Bill Walsh actually inquired about packaging Montana in a trade to get Elway. That would have been the biggest trade in NFL history, even until present.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    I'm in my early 30s, so I don't remember the '83 draft. I've always heard though that supposedly Shula was one of the top guys behind planting the false Marino drug rumors so there was a much better chance he'd fall to Miami. I guess it's not out of the question since Shula pulled a bush-league move with the Mud Bowl game, not covering the field.
    That's the one reason why I have a soft spot for the *Pats. The snow plow game. It was great seeing Shula so pissed off!

Did you know Shula was on the competition committee that instituted the 5 yard penalty for "celebration in the end zone"?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling lots of teams fans kicking themselves over that draft, but none worse than the Colts. Although I am sure Pats/Jets/Chiefs/Steelers/Seahawks and Raiders fans have strong feelings for that draft.

Very interesting doc, the fact that the Niners actually had discussions on trading Montana, was the biggest jaw dropper for me. I had no idea that happened, and imagine the "what if" if it actually happened.

Ughh Tony Eason.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I agree with this. If there was no Dan Marino in that draft then the Ken O'Brien pick looks like a HUGE success. Getting a QB like Ken that late in the draft after having seen Blackledge and Eason get drafted was a surprise.

The biggest disappointment was that the Jets never protected Ken well enough and should have given him a better OLine over the years. He had great skill weapons around him....Wesley Walker, Al Toon, Freeman McNeil, etc. but was a statue with a strong arm, a lot like Vinny Testaverde.
    Not a huge success. O'Brien had 1 great and 3 good seasons. They couldn't have been further apart in styles, but in career, O'Brien is pretty similar to Chad Pennington, actually. If you are drafting a QB at the end of the 1st round, you are hoping for more than that.

The What Ifs will remain. Would Marino been able to succeed behind the Jets OL?

I haven't seen the 30 for 30 year, but I'm curious. My understanding is that no one had even heard of O'Brien before the draft. If it wasn't for Marino, a lot of credit would have to go to Jets scouts for even finding O'Brien when (seemingly) no one had any information on him. Edited to Add:Huh, I just saw a highlight of 30 for 30. I guess the Dolphins would have taken O'Brien.

Also, again, I need to watch 30 for 30, but Marino seemed to have a pretty poor Senior year (17tds, 23ints). Curious when the last time a guy who was drafted in the first round actually threw more INTs than TDs in the season. (Just curious, obviously college football is way different now then it was in 1983)

Interesting: I have access to old newpaper data, and found a mock draft from 2 days before the 1983 draft. They have Marino going to the Jets:

1. San Diego (from Baltimore) -- The Chargers, still uncertain about Dan Fouts' status, convince the Colts that Elway will not sign with Baltimore and swap several draft choices to get him to direct Air Coryell. Choice -- Stanford QB John Elway.
    2. Seattle (from Houston) -- The Seahawks had the poorest running game in the AFC last year and new coach Chuck Knox loves a big-play runner. Seattle trades up with Houston for several draft picks and takes the league's newest star back. Choice -- Southern Methodist RB Eric Dickerson.

3. Los Angeles Rams -- The Rams' recent high draft picks at linebacker haven't panned out and Los Angeles decides to pass up Curt Warner and take the son of a former All-Pro lineman. Choice -- Arkansas LB Billy Ray Smith.
    4. Denver -- The Broncos had only 8 TD passes last year compared to 19 interceptions and they decide to give Steve DeBerg and Mark Herrmann a push. Choice -- Miami QB Jim Kelly.
    5. Baltimore (from San Diego) -- Coach Frank Kush is desperate for some quality linemen to protect QB Mike Pagel and he's got plenty of draft picks to upgrade the front wall. Choice -- Northwestern T Chris Hinton.
    6. Chicago -- The Bears need offensive linemen, too, but they can't believe a particular player is still available. Choice -- Penn State RB Curt Warner.
    7. Kansas City -- The Chiefs' offensive line has allowed the most sacks in the league for two of the last three years but new coach John Mackovic loves QBs and can't pass up a possible pro star. Choice - Illinois QB Tony Eason.
    8. Philadelphia -- New Coach Marion Campbell wants a back to take heat off Wilbert Montgomery and the Eagles opt for the best power runner around. Choice -- Florida RB James Jones.
    9. Houston (from Seattle) -- Guard Mike Munchak was a nice selection last year and the Oilers decide to give him a partner. Choice -- Southern Cal G Bruce Matthews.
    10. New York Giants -- Really wanted Chris Hinton but the Giants settle for the best TE prospect in the draft. Choice -- Notre Dame TE Tony Hunter.
    11. Green Bay (from New Orleans) -- The Packers know Lynn Dickey won't be around much longer and Coach Bart Starr goes for a brainy QB he can break in slowly. Choice -- Penn State QB Todd Blackledge.
    12. Buffalo -- With the retirement of Bill Simpson, Buffalo goes for the best safety available. Choice -- Clemson S Terry Kinard.
    13. Detroit -- The Lions could use help at running back and wide receiver so they choose a player who can perform at both spots. Choice - Arkansas WR Gary Anderson.
    14. Buffalo (from Cleveland) -- Bills still skeptical over Shane Nelson's status after continual knee problems and decide to take exciting LB prospect. Choice -- Arizona State LB Vernon Maxwell.
    15. New England -- The Patriots wanted either Eason or Kelly but must settle for best WR left. Choice -- Tennessee WR Willie Gault.
    16. Atlanta -- The Falcons will shift from a 3-4 to a 4-3 alignment under new coach Dan Henning and they're looking for another pass rusher. Choice -- Alabama DE Mike Pitts.
    17. St. Louis -- The Cardinals needed a defensive back desperately even before Roger Wehrli retired. Choice -- McNeese State CB Leonard Smith.
    18. Chicago (from Tampa Bay) -- The Bears haven't opened up inside holes in years and Coach Mike Ditka wants some more protection for QB Jim McMahon. Choice -- Nebraska C Dave Rimington.
    19. Minnesota -- Vikings also looking for offensive line help and another Southern California stud is difficult to pass up. Choice - Southern Cal T Dan Mosebar.
    20. Baltimore (from San Diego) -- Kush means business about rebuilding the offensive line. Choice -- Pittsburgh T Jimbo Covert.
    21. Pittsburgh -- With Lynn Swann retired and Jim Smith in the USFL, the Steelers need breathing room for John Stallworth. Choice - Mississippi State WR Glen Young.
    22. Baltimore (from San Diego thru San Francisco) -- The Colts now turn to defensive help. Choice -- Southern Cal S Joey Browner.
    23. Dallas -- The Cowboys aren't happy with Harvey Martin's recent play and don't have faith in backup Larry Bethea. Choice -- Arizona State DE Jim Jeffcoat.
    24. New York Jets -- Club superscout Mike Hickey says this is the year of the QB and the Jets join the party. Choice -- Pittsburgh QB Dan Marino.
    25. Cincinnati -- Ken Riley enters his 15th season and the Bengals had few roars out of the secondary last year. Choice -- Pittsburgh CB Tim Lewis.
    26. Los Angeles Raiders -- Cliff Branch can't go on forever and Al Davis looking for big-play replacement. Choice -- Fresno State WR Henry Ellard.
    27. Miami -- The Dolphins could use some beef at defensive line and they see an intriguing prospect. Choice -- Texas Tech DT Gabriel Rivera.
    28. Washington -- John Riggins may go on siesta again and Joe Washington's legs are constantly on the mend. Choice -- Mississippi State RB Michael Haddix.
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 04-24-2013 at 03:04 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gabriel Rivera...what a sad story. really heartbreaking.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The entire first round had so much talent (25% HOFers) it's amazing. Biggest wiff had to be Philly drafting Mike Hadddox... the proud owner of a record worst 3.0 ypc lifetime avg.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's the one reason why I have a soft spot for the *Pats. The snow plow game. It was great seeing Shula so pissed off!

Did you know Shula was on the competition committee that instituted the 5 yard penalty for "celebration in the end zone"?
    Interesting you mention Shula being on the competition committee. My father, who loathed Shula as much as any Jets fan, used to always complain about how he'd get favoritism from the league and refs because of that.