Thread: Just what has made Eifert a top 15 pick all of a sudden?

Just what has made Eifert a top 15 pick all of a sudden?

Nice TE prospect, probably the top one of the class but at 13? He's not physical beast like Vernon Davis.

Top selected TE's over the last few years.

34 - Fleener
    43 - Rudolph
    21 - Gresham
    20 - Pettigrew
    30 - Keller
    31 - Olsen
    6 - Davis
    30 - Miller

I don't see the value even though we have a huge need. If we pick a guard and TE in the top 13 picks both of these dudes had better be pro bowlers is all i can say.

very clean prospect with no real weaknesses in a weak class at the top. safe pick being pushed up boards.

i'd throw up a little if we picked him anywhere in the top-13. after a trade down, sure, maybe, if he's BPA - but i can't see him as BPA at 13. he's not the dynamic weapon that warrants a high selection. there's little value there.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Nice TE prospect, probably the top one of the class but at 13? He's not physical beast like Vernon Davis.

Top selected TE's over the last few years.

34 - Fleener
    43 - Rudolph
    21 - Gresham
    20 - Pettigrew
    30 - Keller
    31 - Olsen
    6 - Davis
    30 - Miller

I don't see the value even though we have a huge need. If we pick a guard and TE in the top 13 picks both of these dudes had better be pro bowlers is all i can say.
    It's question marks associated with other prospects and the lack of them on Eifert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    i'd throw up a little if we picked him anywhere in the top-13. after a trade down, sure, maybe, if he's BPA - but i can't see him as BPA at 13. he's not the dynamic weapon that warrants a high selection. there's little value there.
    agreed and i doubt the jets take him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Notre Dame tight ends are ok. John Carlson, Anthony Fasano, Kyle Rudolph etc.

Not the type of talent I would spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on.

Also, the lack of offensive skill position players. If you're picking in the first half of round one, and you want to make your offense more dynamic, your options are basically limited to Eifert and Austin. No RBs, no QBs, 1 WR, depth at a lot of the grunt positions where there actually is elite talent (OG, DT, DE/OLB; at OT there's a significant drop after Fluker, which is what's pushing him up boards), and a clear tier break after Eifert at TE are combining with the perception of him as a "safe" pick to make him more attractive.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    very clean prospect with no real weaknesses in a weak class at the top.
    +1

He also fits the trend of where the NFL is headed in terms of a desirable TE.

His combination of size, speed, athleticism, and a big catching radius give him the tools to be a dominant offensive skill position player in the NFL, a rare quality at the top of this year's draft.

If we happened to take a 'safe' pick as in a guard at 9 then I would rather go after a pass rusher even with a question or two at 13, even a CB or safety if the right one is there.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    +1

He also fits the trend of where the NFL is headed in terms of a desirable TE.

His combination of size, speed, athleticism, and a big catching radius give him the tools to be a dominant offensive skill position player in the NFL, a rare quality at the top of this year's draft.
    4 out of the top 25 players in catches last year were TE's
    2 out the top 25 TEs' last year in yards were TE's
    6 out of the top 25 TEs' last year in yards were TE's

The description you have above applies to the Fleeners, Olsens, Kellers and Greshams of the world as well.

high first round is about finding impact players. players whose individual success is essential to the teams success.

Cooper fits that mold. if he dominates, the OL is significantly better, and the offense is better.

i just can't see Eifert in that same class. he's not an all-world prospect like Cooper/Warmack are. the teams success wouldnt hinge on his play like a pass-rusher's would.

i'd rather a guy like Tank Carradine, whose pass-rushing prowess could give the Jets defense a dimension its been lacking for years. you could make that same case for Eifert, but i just fail to see how much he could do to help the offense in the way a guy like Carradine could help the defense.

thats not to say a good pass-rusher can't be found in rounds 2 and 3 (Okafor?), but the same goes for TE - is Eifert *that* much better than the second-tier TEs?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    4 out of the top 25 players in catches last year were TE's
    2 out the top 25 TEs' last year in yards were TE's
    6 out of the top 25 TEs' last year in yards were TE's

The description you have above applies to the Fleeners, Olsens, Kellers and Greshams of the world as well.
    Fair enough.

Although I would argue that Eifert is a better prospect than some of the others you mention. He would definitely be an upgrade over Keller in regard to the skill set he brings to the table.

As others have been saying, where are the WR prospects at the top of this draft who will be filling out your top 25 lists?

TE in the top 15 is a bit of a bold move, but with the state of the Jets offense, they really can't rule out anything. I don't think I'd be excited to get a TE at 9 or 13, but I wouldn't be shocked if we did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

You don't think he is worth a 2nd rd pick. Why?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You don't think he is worth a 2nd rd pick. Why?
    Im saying if he is like the other 3 ND tight ends i mentioned, then hes not worth a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Could he be better? Sure. But recent ND tight ends havent been worth a high pick.

He's a star... He's good at blocking regardless of anything you may read. His catching radius is beyond ELITE, and the guy can jump off the screen. He has very good functional speed and is a great character guy.

I'd take Eifert at 13 with a smile. Dude has hall of fame ability and will make it imo depending on his QB.

A guy like Davis is fast but he doesn't have Eifert ability blocking or even the catching radius that Eifert has.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

You're really good at reminding everyone why they shouldn't listen to you. Rudolph isn't worth a second round pick? Were you locked up again last year?

I think Eifert is a bit of a stretch at #13 considering the deep class. I don't think it'd be a loss for the Jets getting guys like Ertz, Kelce, McDonald, Escobar, Reed later in the draft as they all possess the ability to step into the competition on day 1.

From what I've seen on tape, I would be unhappy with Eifert at #13. If they traded down in the first to grab him and potentially another pick then I'd be happy with that scenario.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    You're really good at reminding everyone why they shouldn't listen to you. Rudolph isn't worth a second round pick? Were you locked up again last year?
    He was the 15th ranked tight end in the league
    http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...alse&Submit=Go

Her had under 500 yards receiving.

But I guess in your mind hes a hall of fame guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    He's a star... He's good at blocking regardless of anything you may read. His catching radius is beyond ELITE, and the guy can jump off the screen. He has very good functional speed and is a great character guy.

I'd take Eifert at 13 with a smile. Dude has hall of fame ability and will make it imo depending on his QB.

A guy like Davis is fast but he doesn't have Eifert ability blocking or even the catching radius that Eifert has.
    Wow is all I can say, hall of fame ability? Just like all the top rated TEs's that put up those kind of numbers in production and combine numbers in the past?