Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of Revis an act of genius

Getting rid of Revis an act of genius

Strictly you don't tie up qb money into the cb position.Keep in mind Revis is near 30 now and coming off an acl.Acl's diminish your speed and for a cb you need speed,the most out of any position.Otherwise one good cb in Cromartie is enough to fulfill the positions needs.
    No superbowl champion in the past 5 years had top cbs. You win via front 7 + qbs + playmakers / speed /.
    Love this trade.

All League
    i agree...but you will still get clobbered with the..."a. peterson didnt lose speed", "he was the best defensive player we ever had" and the "we didnt get enough in return" dumb arguments.

Hall Of Fame
    I am more worried about his ability to move laterally than I am about his speed. Revis' technique, instincts and physicality will make up for any straight line speed he might lose.

You have to worry about the stability of the knee b.c a CB has to move in every direction on a dime.

$25 mil is qb money, not $16 mil. Don't call the other arguments stupid if you're just going to regurgitate the same sentiment as every other trade supporter.

With all the said the trade had to happen based on the fact he tore his ACL. You don't give $16 mil to a corner that just tore his ACL. That's the argument, because $16 mil is not franchise QB money, they make a lot more.

Nothing associated with the game of football should be considered genius.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    Strictly you don't tie up qb money into the cb position.Keep in mind Revis is near 30 now and coming off an acl.Acl's diminish your speed and for a cb you need speed,the most out of any position.Otherwise one good cb in Cromartie is enough to fulfill the positions needs.
    No superbowl champion in the past 5 years had top cbs. You win via front 7 + qbs + playmakers / speed /.
    Love this trade.
    I agree and disagree. If you are in the Jets position, having Revis is like putting frosting on a turd. Its useless.

But if you are a team on the rise and have cap space and need a CB, it can make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I agree and disagree. If you are in the Jets position, having Revis is like putting frosting on a turd. Its useless.

But if you are a team on the rise and have cap space and need a CB, it can make the difference.
    As a top shut down CB, Revis was one of the best, if not the best. He forced opponents to not throw in his direction, therefore cutting off half the field.
    From this perspective, it is a big loss. However, with the right draft picks this year and next, the Jets will be fine, including procuring another top CB.

However, one player is not bigger than the entire team. Fom this vantage point, he was a pita. He held out multiple times and was a financial cancer to the team. The Jets didn't have much leverage. If they didn't trade him, they would only get a 3rd round pick next year. The Jets took what they could get. It may be disappointing to some, but they did the best the could with the facts at the time.

I am not a fan of the Jets owner/former management. I think they are clueless and laughable clowns. I was more upset that they gave Sanchez mega bucks for being average AT BEST. If it was up to me, the money spent on Sanchez last year, they could have and should have spent on keeping Revis.

Bad management decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    Love this trade.
    Not to mention you NEED to cut on a dime as a CB.

Granted, a good chance he will still be a top corner on technique. He'll never be the same though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    As a top shut down CB, Revis was one of the best, if not the best. He forced opponents to not throw in his direction, therefore cutting off half the field.
    From this perspective, it is a big loss. However, with the right draft picks this year and next, the Jets will be fine, including procuring another top CB.

However, one player is not bigger than the entire team. Fom this vantage point, he was a pita. He held out multiple times and was a financial cancer to the team. The Jets didn't have much leverage. If they didn't trade him, they would only get a 3rd round pick next year. The Jets took what they could get. It may be disappointing to some, but they did the best the could with the facts at the time.

I am not a fan of the Jets owner/former management. I think they are clueless and laughable clowns. I was more upset that they gave Sanchez mega bucks for being average AT BEST. If it was up to me, the money spent on Sanchez last year, they could have and should have spent on keeping Revis.

Bad management decisions.
    The bolded is not exactly true. His receiver could clear out one side of the field only to have a RB or TE burn us. As great as Revis was, our LBs were slow as molasses and our safeties couldn't cover. Teams found other ways to attack us without a good pass rush. Plus we negated the advantage of having a shutdown corner on the other side of the field because we had to create a rush with blitzes. Revis eliminated their best WR. We still got burned 10 on 10.

Revis would have been perfect on a team like SF imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    $25 mil is qb money

No quarterback has an average annual salary of $25 million. Flacco, Brees and Manning all average $20 mill per.

not $16 mil.
    Revis has a higher average annual salary than outside of Manning, Brees, Flacco and Romo.

Brady, Eli, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Schaub, etc etc etc all have lower Average Annual Salaries.

You don't give $16 mil to a corner

period.

because $16 mil is not franchise QB money, they make a lot more.

Simply not accurate.....the majority of franchise QB's make less.

I believe that's why only 1 team had any interest in trading for him. That's money is crazy for his position.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    No quarterback has an average annual salary of $25 million. Flacco, Brees and Manning all average $20 mill per.

Revis has a higher average annual salary than outside of Manning, Brees, Flacco and Romo.

Brady, Eli, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Schaub, etc etc etc all have lower Average Annual Salaries.

period.

Simply not accurate.....the majority of franchise QB's make less.
    As of right now, the price for a franchise QB is $20M/yr. Rodgers and the Packers are working on a deal right now that will make him the new highest paid QB (the 3rd person to take the crown since the Super Bowl), a deal that some are speculating will pay him close to $25M/yr.

You cannot sign a franchise QB for $16M/yr. Contracts from 3 and 4 years ago are irrelevant. All of those guys will be above $20M in a year or two. Except for Tom Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    As of right now, the price for a franchise QB is $20M/yr. Rodgers and the Packers are working on a deal right now that will make him the new highest paid QB (the 3rd person to take the crown since the Super Bowl), a deal that some are speculating will pay him close to $25M/yr.

You cannot sign a franchise QB for $16M/yr. Contracts from 3 and 4 years ago are irrelevant. All of those guys will be above $20M in a year or two. Except for Tom Brady.
    I'm pretty sure that was his point. Revis isn't asking for $16 mil in "a year or two" -- he's been asking for (and getting) it for the past two years, and now expects it for the next six, though I'm sure he'll want even MORE before too long.

I wasn't crazy about the trade, but once I heard the $$$ I couldn't wish the guy farewell quick enough. I'll gladly fill two quality spots for the price of one overpaid CB -- getting the #13 pick is the cherry on top . . .

Football is a young mans game. I don't think Revis will last 4 more years in this league. He might never be as good as he was and if he isn't he still will want big money. He's not the type to play for vet minimum or close to it. Why did his ACL pop? A non contact injury. His body could be starting to break down. Even in the case that he does come back 100% the Jets would be wasting their money on him the next 2 years because they are rebuilding and add in the fact that he wants 16 mil per year and he would of walked for nearly nothing at the end of this season and it was a no-brainer for the Jets to part ways with Revis. How many teams other than the Bucs were making offers for Revis? Zero! That has to tell you something right there. These sports writers and analysts saying the Jets got fleeced make me sick. Tannenbaum is the one that blew it years ago to get this pain in the ass in camp. Just wait till this offseason if Revis makes a decent comeback. He might be wanting 20 mil per.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am more worried about his ability to move laterally than I am about his speed. Revis' technique, instincts and physicality will make up for any straight line speed he might lose.

You have to worry about the stability of the knee b.c a CB has to move in every direction on a dime.
    Great points! I did not think about it that way but you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post

Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Brady. We're living in the era of the quarterback.

Do they make more than $16M/yr? Sure. But they are the elite of the elite. You can't use them as a reference point.

You're telling me you can't sign a Matt Ryan-type franchise QB for 16 mil? You absolutely can. That's the going rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Brady. We're living in the era of the quarterback.

Do they make more than $16M/yr? Sure. But they are the elite of the elite. You can't use them as a reference point.

You're telling me you can't sign a Matt Ryan-type franchise QB for 16 mil? You absolutely can. That's the going rate.
    Exactly, the guy's sweeping statements didn't convince me either

I have to admit that I never thought the Jets would be able to get that much for Revis, especially considering his attitude, his injury history and the fact that he was going to become a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    I have to admit that I never thought the Jets would be able to get that much for Revis, especially considering his attitude, his injury history and the fact that he was going to become a FA.
    Both the jets and Revis made out, Why the bucs thought there was going to be competition next year for Revis if they were willing to pay 16 mill is beyond me.
    But that is why they make the playoffs once every 5 years.