Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Cornelius Washington, OLB - Georgia

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Cornelius Washington, OLB - Georgia

Other than Jordan it seems like the first round OLB's have some kind of issue. IE - cant trust Ansah in coverage, JJ is slow and has spine issues, Mingo has a lack of production and is small. Seems that Washington has the right mix of size and speed that could be ideal in our 3-4 sceme. Havent heard him talked about nearly as much as Ogletree or JJ.

What about him with our first pick on Friday?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...ius-washington

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at his production... It's comically bad. He's rightfully a later round guy. I get excited sometimes watching him in the senior bowl practices, and the physical traits are definitely obvious. He just finds a way to not make plays. Hell, not make tackles.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Look at his production... It's comically bad. He's rightfully a later round guy. I get excited sometimes watching him in the senior bowl practices, and the physical traits are definitely obvious. He just finds a way to not make plays. Hell, not make tackles.
    From Tony Pauline:

Another player who could come off the board much earlier than predicted is Cornelius Washington of Georgia, graded as a third round pick at the outside linebacker position in our most recent rankings. On paper Washington had an up-and-down college career but Georgia coaches are telling NFL teams a different story. Anyone who studied Washington on film during his sophomore campaign of 2010 saw glimpses of the “wow” factor before his production slipped off. What gives? Georgia coaches have been telling teams Washington was taken out of the playmaking role and was required to play more disciplined, assignment football. Seems reasonable considering the arrival and production of Jarvis Jones. The Bulldog coaches have passed along their opinion that Washington should make the seamless transition to NFL starter at outside linebacker in a 3-4 or a John Abraham type of defender in a 4-3. The word is Washington could sneak into the late part of round two.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6952

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    he played out of position as a 3-4 de screwed him all up but only way he was getting on the field at ga was as a de

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe810 View Post
    he played out of position as a 3-4 de screwed him all up but only way he was getting on the field at ga was as a de
    A good enough player finds ways to make plays... Watch the tape. He was put into positions where he could make some plays. He rushed the passer in a standard 4 down lineman setup plenty of times with Jarvis on the opposite side.

He did absolutely ZERO far too often.

I like what he shows on some plays, but it's just a lot to assume that he's going to turn it around. And you can't go by what the Georgia coaches are saying either, it's in their best interest to get the guy drafted early.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely not our first draft pick. If we pick him that high that would be a MAJOR reach.

On film he looks good enough to be a 2nd-3rd round prospect and I think if the Jets got him in the 3rd round then it'd be a steal. If you told me we drafted Cooper - Vaccaro - Ertz - Washington with our first 4 picks then I'd be happy with it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just watched some tape on him and what immediately stands out is what seems to be a low football IQ. Constantly out of position, getting too far up the field, falling for fakes consistently.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Other than Jordan it seems like the first round OLB's have some kind of issue. IE - cant trust Ansah in coverage, JJ is slow and has spine issues, Mingo has a lack of production and is small. Seems that Washington has the right mix of size and speed that could be ideal in our 3-4 sceme. Havent heard him talked about nearly as much as Ogletree or JJ.

What about him with our first pick on Friday?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...ius-washington
    I don't understand why people keep saying Mingo is small. He and Jordan are very, very close in size and weight.

Jordan: 6'6 248lbs 33 7/8' arms
    Mingo: 6'4 241lbs 33 3/4' arms (That's a .125' difference)

Yes Jordan's a little taller and heavier (7lbs isn't a huge difference in my book), but Mingo is also a better athlete.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cornelius Washington:Jarvis Jones

Anthony Schlegal: AJ Hawk?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    I don't understand why people keep saying Mingo is small. He and Jordan are very, very close in size and weight.

Jordan: 6'6 248lbs 33 7/8' arms
    Mingo: 6'4 241lbs 33 3/4' arms (That's a .125' difference)

Yes Jordan's a little taller and heavier (7lbs isn't a huge difference in my book), but Mingo is also a better athlete.
    They heard it somewhere . I watch Mingo on tape and he is relentless, has great athleticism, is extremely quick off the snap, and has tremendous vertical, not to mention on field speed. There was a play in the Chick-Fil e bowl where Boyd ran out of the pocket and Mingo moved so fast across field to track him down that Boyd had to throw out of bounds. He's just incredibly fast. Weight to height of Mingo and Jordan is identical. Guys here are simply nuts if they think he won't be a terror at the pro level. He's got tremendous talent, measurables, and intensity. I'd be very happy with him as the pick if we go OLB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    They heard it somewhere . I watch Mingo on tape and he is relentless, has great athleticism, is extremely quick off the snap, and has tremendous vertical, not to mention on field speed. There was a play in the Chick-Fil e bowl where Boyd ran out of the pocket and Mingo moved so fast across field to track him down that Boyd had to throw out of bounds. He's just incredibly fast. Weight to height of Mingo and Jordan is identical. Guys here are simply nuts if they think he won't be a terror at the pro level. He's got tremendous talent, measurables, and intensity. I'd be very happy with him as the pick if we go OLB.
    Same here Mingo would be great - relentless effort, explosiveness and dazzling speed. Even Jarvis Jones wouldn't be bad - very polished pass rusher with a repertoire of moves, heavy hands and very high IQ, relentless effort. Either of tem would be great though they have very different toolkits.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i like Jamie Collins & Corey Lemonier

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Z 6 View Post
    i like Jamie Collins & Corey Lemonier
    Those guys would be ok from the 3rd onwards I think

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Those guys would be ok from the 3rd onwards I think
    yeah if you can grab both of them in the 3rd & 4th,, why not? we need more then 1 pass rusher .. any the only one i really like at the #9 spot is.. Dion Jordan..

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    was pushing for him in round 4 but def not anymore just spent an hour watching tape on him...honestly cant recall one play that stood out...wait there was one. He almost had a sack for a loss of 8 yds but the qb slipped away for a 15 yrd gainer.....def cant justify drafting him anymore after the last hour

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    hes Vernon G with way less college production is how i see him