Thread: New Story: Jets Look for Home Run in NFL Draft (Part 1)

Post New Story: Jets Look for Home Run in NFL Draft (Part 1)

Before we dive into who the Jets should or could draft and who some NFL writers have the Jets selecting with their two top-15 draft selections, I'm dishing out my quick opinion on Revis deal.

The Jets needed to infuse talent to the football team and this was the best approach towards that goal. Revis was (no one for sure knows if he still is, which HAS to come into play when discussing this) a player a team needed to win a championship...when the rest of the team was ready for a championship. Even if Revis came back 100% (more unlikely...

More...

Jets Insider VIP
    Nice write-up Joe. I largely agree with you on "take Mingo before Austin" with 9 and 13. However, I'm not sure the Jets are looking for the Home Run as you say. With so many needs, with a draft that's reasonably deep in the middle rounds but not top-heavy with talent, I think the Jets would rather win the draft with a series of doubles or triples than two Home Runs at 9 and 13.

The obvious trade-down partner for the Jets is SF, given their two picks in the 30's. I'd have no problem with the Jets taking the BPA at #9 and trading back to get 3 players at 31, 34 and 39 (their own pick). Four players in the Top 40 could address a lot of needs. It would be reminiscent of the "4 Aces" draft when the Jets took Pennington, Abraham, Ellis, and Becht. And if we hit on 3 out of 4 I'd be psyched.

Becht, Pennington, Abraham, Ellis

Rookie
    No way we should take a boom or bust player like the undersized Mingo.

Warmack at 9 and Jones at 13 is the safest way to go.

Colon and Warmack road-grading huge holes for Ivory to run thru boosts the offense regardless of the QB.

Jones is NFL ready and can do it all. Even if the spinal problem turns out to limit his time in the league, hes still the best choice by far for the gun-shy Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    terrific article, joe

I too hope with take warmack at 9 and then trade the 13 down to the Niners for the 31 and the 34

adding the road grader at 9 and then three more picks in the top 40 would be my ideal first two rounds

not a Mingo guy either, BTW

I'd rather have Cooper over Warmack to be honest.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I can understand that. I just want to address OG with a young, talented guy....no more projects. It's kind of at the point where I'll be disappointed if we don't get one of these guys in Round 1. Right now we have an aging Willie Colon and Ducasse at our 2 Guard spots.

I should've been stronger on my Warmack, then defensive player with 13 sentiment. I got caught up in the Mingo hype when reading everyone's predictions. It seems Mingo is what they probably will do, in comparison to what they should do.

All League
    I have been yelling to whoever will listen.....Idsik is NOT making his first or 2nd pick of his gm career the weak, undersized, high bust potential MINGO...its not happening.

Me too beerfish, More athletic,and better suited for the WCO.He's also strong enough too play man on man too, not like Warmack though

I think Cooper is a little more athletic, but softer than Warmack who is more of a road grader. Since Dbrick is also more of an "athletic" tackle I think we would be better suited taking a road grader type guard to pair with Dbrick.

That is why i prefer Warmack, but its really close and I would be very happy with either of them.

I am not sold on any of the "edge rusher" players that will be there at our spot, except maybe Ansah if he is there but he is far from a lock. I like the playmakers in Eifert and Austin, and will not be upset if we reach for the QB we like in these spots be that Manuel or Nassib.

Quote Originally Posted by joesudberg View Post
    I should've been stronger on my Warmack, then defensive player with 13 sentiment. I got caught up in the Mingo hype when reading everyone's predictions. It seems Mingo is what they probably will do, in comparison to what they should do.
    I get the sense the Mingo thing is a smoke-screen or

Rex seems like to him, but I don't think Rex is calling a whole of shots anymore.

I doubt it's Mingo.

Jets Insider VIP
    It could be the case that the best picks are an OG at 9 (Warmack, Cooper) and a passcatcher (Eifert, Austin) at 13. I don't think I'd have a big problem with that since we have much bigger needs on O than D. But I'd still like to get a passrusher early and that would be the only disappointment in going with two offensive players in Round 1.

All of these OLBs have some questions marks and I'm still admittedly a little gunshy following our Gholston debacle.