Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: A mock with explanations and uncertainty

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

A mock with explanations and uncertainty

My sense is, like others have hoped, that the Jets will be looking at the guard position at 9. It will be interesting to see if Milliner falls, whether the Jets will be tempted to deviate given the Revis situation, but I don't think so. I also think Mingo is a smokescreen, screams Maybin to me, undersized and fast. My picture of the beast OLB is big and fast. Mingo is all spindly; he's no Ware or Abraham. Will be eaten alive at the next level; please no 3rd down pass rusher with this pick.

So, pick 9: Jonathan Cooper (alternative Chance Warmack), lean Cooper if both there, but that's based on Tony Pauline's comment a couple of weeks back that he is better suited for the Jets system. Warmack may be off the board as well.

Now, onto the 13th Pick (traded to SF for 31 and 34): Ryan Nassib: I am expecting major fireworks with this one. Something tells me Idzik needs to go big with this one to light a fire under a fanbase that doesn't see any playmakers on the team. Austin would be a great slot receiver but we already have Kerley, so I'm not buyin'. I actually think this pick leads to a quarterback. Not saying it should, but I actually think the Jets will try to parry this to ignite some interest in the team. I think Nassib is the target for the WCO (which doesn't require the big gun, just someone who can hit tight windows, aka Nassib). Jets would prefer to trade back a few spots ideally and pick up an extra pick, and it is not out of the question they get 31 and 34 from San Francisco for the pick, but at the end of the day it's Nassib, whether the fans like it or not. And it may be at 13. I'll presume that the San Francisco trade happens and they select him at 31.

Now, with the 34th and 39th pick: it's time for a TE/WR and CB/Safety. Also could see OLB with one of these picks but there continues to be depth at LB later on, so will say:

34: S DJ Swearinger
    39: WR DeAndre Hopkins (no slot receivers with Kerley on the team, Justin Hunter would be interesting but may not last until this pick)

Round 3: Based on above, would think the OLB position here: possible projections of Jamie Collins, Cornelius Washington or Corey Lemonier; if not think TE, Gavin Escobar.

Beyond the first three rounds, it's a crapshoot already past the first, so will not project further, at that point it BPA and special teams. Also think somehow they will end up with Chris Ivory for the 5th round pick on draft day.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Something tells me Idzik needs to go big with this one to light a fire under a fanbase that doesn't see any playmakers on the team."

If we trade down I would be less disturbed to take a QB in that range but only marginally. I am hoping and trusting that Idzik follows through with his mantra and cares about nothing at all other than making us the best team possible. The GM should never make a pick to please the fan base or to light a fire under anyone.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    "Something tells me Idzik needs to go big with this one to light a fire under a fanbase that doesn't see any playmakers on the team."

If we trade down I would be less disturbed to take a QB in that range but only marginally. I am hoping and trusting that Idzik follows through with his mantra and cares about nothing at all other than making us the best team possible. The GM should never make a pick to please the fan base or to light a fire under anyone.
    +1

Do what he thinks will make the team better. There should be no other reasoning.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with you guys. But think they love Nassib. Not just a move for the fans, in fact they'll probably boo the pick, particularly if at 13. He's the anti-Sanchez and will light a fire in the huddle. I think the Jets are committed to getting the qb of their choice. They won't wait around for second helpings.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    My sense is, like others have hoped, that the Jets will be looking at the guard position at 9. It will be interesting to see if Milliner falls, whether the Jets will be tempted to deviate given the Revis situation, but I don't think so. I also think Mingo is a smokescreen, screams Maybin to me, undersized and fast. My picture of the beast OLB is big and fast. Mingo is all spindly; he's no Ware or Abraham. Will be eaten alive at the next level; please no 3rd down pass rusher with this pick.

So, pick 9: Jonathan Cooper (alternative Chance Warmack), lean Cooper if both there, but that's based on Tony Pauline's comment a couple of weeks back that he is better suited for the Jets system. Warmack may be off the board as well.

Now, onto the 13th Pick (traded to SF for 31 and 34): Ryan Nassib: I am expecting major fireworks with this one. Something tells me Idzik needs to go big with this one to light a fire under a fanbase that doesn't see any playmakers on the team. Austin would be a great slot receiver but we already have Kerley, so I'm not buyin'. I actually think this pick leads to a quarterback. Not saying it should, but I actually think the Jets will try to parry this to ignite some interest in the team. I think Nassib is the target for the WCO (which doesn't require the big gun, just someone who can hit tight windows, aka Nassib). Jets would prefer to trade back a few spots ideally and pick up an extra pick, and it is not out of the question they get 31 and 34 from San Francisco for the pick, but at the end of the day it's Nassib, whether the fans like it or not. And it may be at 13. I'll presume that the San Francisco trade happens and they select him at 31.

Now, with the 34th and 39th pick: it's time for a TE/WR and CB/Safety. Also could see OLB with one of these picks but there continues to be depth at LB later on, so will say:

34: S DJ Swearinger
    39: WR DeAndre Hopkins (no slot receivers with Kerley on the team, Justin Hunter would be interesting but may not last until this pick)

Round 3: Based on above, would think the OLB position here: possible projections of Jamie Collins, Cornelius Washington or Corey Lemonier; if not think TE, Gavin Escobar.

Beyond the first three rounds, it's a crapshoot already past the first, so will not project further, at that point it BPA and special teams. Also think somehow they will end up with Chris Ivory for the 5th round pick on draft day.
    Hopkins wont last to 39 imo.. I think he is 1 of the best WR's in the draft along with Patterson, Patton, Woods & Harper. Tavon Austin 175 lbs is too small to make it in nfl. imo!! How many WR's in the nfl weigh 175 lbs that r any good?????????