Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mingo uncertain cause he played in a 4 - 3

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Mingo uncertain cause he played in a 4 - 3

I don't know how he will translate to a 3 - 4 olb.In the 4 - 3 he had 4.5 sacks...but I see very intense speed with him.But I don't know how he will translate to a 3 -4....thus this pick will be another potential Gholston bust if we make it.I never would take a conversion guy in the top 10.Too risky.I would do it if we trade back and he is still there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rather thank Jarvis Jones over Mingo because he played in a 3 - 4.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your threads suck.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Your threads suck.
    Then don't post.I said my opinion Mingo never played in a 3 - 4 and I would not make a top 10 pick based on that he will have to convert.More people need to focus on this.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So Mingo isn't uncertain? It's you that thinks that he can't play in a 3-4?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Mingo is a beast. Draft him and even if we suck it will be fun watching him kill Brady a couple times a year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    I think Mingo is a beast. Draft him and even if we suck it will be fun watching him kill Brady a couple times a year.
    Aren't you conerned investing a top 10 pick into a de coverting to an olb.Remember Gholston?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    I don't know how he will translate to a 3 - 4 olb.In the 4 - 3 he had 4.5 sacks...but I see very intense speed with him.But I don't know how he will translate to a 3 -4....thus this pick will be another potential Gholston bust if we make it.I never would take a conversion guy in the top 10.Too risky.I would do it if we trade back and he is still there.
    Herm Edwards was on the radio and was asked this question today you know what his answer was? 3-4 4-3 we dont really look at that when we are looking to draft a guy. All NFL teams run some kind of hybrid 3-4 4-3 so you cant tag a player with those limitations in the draft. If he is a good prospect and has the physical attributes you need you take him. There is nothing he learn in college that will make him that much better then every other rookie going into camp.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then don't post.I said my opinion Mingo never played in a 3 - 4 and I would not make a top 10 pick based on that he will have to convert.More people need to focus on this.
    LOL. Why?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your posting sucks. You obviously don't read anything else anyone posts, just start posts with random thoughts that enter your head, that have already been hashed to death and then when they are ignored you respond to your own posts to push it back to the top. Sucks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stick to the trash can.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Aren't you conerned investing a top 10 pick into a de coverting to an olb.Remember Gholston?
    So you're afraid of drafting a DE?

You'll never draft a DE to convert to an OLB because of one draft?

You need to work through this. Or find another sport, that's where most OLBs come from.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Other guys who never played as 3-4 LB in college

Demarcus Ware
    Clay Matthews
    Aldon Smith
    Brian Orakpo
    Anthony Spencer

The truly good-great players will figure it out, Gholston's problem was he just flat out sucked, 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE, bench warmer, he was just bad at everything.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    So you're afraid of drafting a DE?

You'll never draft a DE to convert to an OLB because of one draft?

You need to work through this. Or find another sport, that's where most OLBs come from.
    3 - 4 de are close to 280 pounds.Mingo is 240 pounds right now....he will not be a de here and I have 0 clue if he can be an olb.Major risk at 10,he is similar to Manny Lawson workout warrior.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Herm Edwards was on the radio and was asked this question today you know what his answer was? 3-4 4-3 we dont really look at that when we are looking to draft a guy. All NFL teams run some kind of hybrid 3-4 4-3 so you cant tag a player with those limitations in the draft. If he is a good prospect and has the physical attributes you need you take him. There is nothing he learn in college that will make him that much better then every other rookie going into camp.
    Yeah, but, ugh, we swung and missed on Gholston, we can't ever draft a DE in the 1st again.

What is the matter with you, don't you know that all DEs will be exactly like VG? They all suck. And Idzik is just as blind to this as Tanny was.

Every position in football that has been taken in the 1st and has had a long list of busts. Every single one. Guess we should pass on our 1st.

Got to love how stupid this line of thinking is.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 04-23-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you were only drafting 3-4 OLBs who played OLB in college rather than converting 4-3 DEs, you would limit yourself tremendously and would have, over the years, missed out on some of the game's best 3-4 OLBs. Most college teams don't play a 3-4, and many guys who are good 3-4 OLBs in college aren't anywhere near big enough to play that position in the pros.

Also - while college production is an important part of scouting, combine/pro-day workouts are the other half of the coin. And when it comes to those workouts, some drills historically have been better predictors of NFL success than others (3-cone, vertical jump more so than 40 yard dash, for example).

All of this is leading up to the fact that Mingo is pretty damn good. I don't really understand why his production at LSU has been criticized so much - he had better college production vs. superior O-line talent than Dion Jordan, and also outperformed Jordan in every combine metric. He also played for a buffoon of a coach in Les Miles.

Jarvis Jones is a bit of an enigma because while his tape doesn't lie - his 40 was pretty atrocious. I think Mingo's ceiling is higher.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a lot of college 3-4 defenses out there to pick "true" 3-4 OLBs. I am fine with Mingo or Jones, the fact that one played in a 3-4 and one didn't means next to nothing to me.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Inappropriate thread title.

It is evident from this jibberish that YOU are uncertain. Not Mingo.