Thread: AP Twitter Feed Hacked, Reports that Two Explosions at White House, President Injured

Jets Insider VIP

AP Twitter Feed Hacked, Reports that Two Explosions at White House, President Injured

The Dow Jones dropped over 100 points in less than 30 seconds when the Associated Press tweeted that there had been explosions at the White House and Obama was injured.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/theova...house/2106757/

Through a Twitter account, a group called the Syrian Electronic Army took credit for the attack.

Jets Insider VIP
    Holy hell. That's crazy. Wtf

All League
    Hello prison.

Jets Insider VIP

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

When they start bombing golf courses or basketball courts I'll be worried about the Presidents safety.

Thaaaaaaats right.

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    When they start bombing golf courses or basketball courts I'll be worried about the Presidents safety.

Thaaaaaaats right.

-

All Pro
    A good indication of a fragile system.

The "attack" accomplished its goal, no?

-
    This guy gets it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Thaaaaaaats right.

-

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    A good indication of a fragile system.

The "attack" accomplished its goal, no?
    We live in a world where a "fake tweet" caused the market to nosedive. This is a huge WTF Moment. And I can't even legally bet on a football game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post

We live in a world where a "fake tweet" caused the market to nosedive. This is a huge WTF Moment. And I can't even legally bet on a football game.
    It's embarrassing to say the least.

Hall Of Fame
    The economic effects are often overlooked. Boston lost nearly $2B last week b.c of those a$$holes. In that regard we are all victims of terrorism.

As for Twitter, I just don't know how we can avoid this. Do we liken this stuff to yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre? I think we might be getting to that point.

We are beyond repair.

Jets Insider VIP
    When they start bombing golf courses or basketball courts or vacation destinations I'll be worried about the Presidents safety.

Thaaaaaaats right.

-

fixed for truthiness and even more LOLZ.

To show you what complete morons work for AP: these were script kiddie types that password cracked some of the accounts (because the passwords easy to guess 4-5 letters ) and used spear phishing on the rest of them.

The same AP geniuses getting on the NYPD's case for being racist. Yeah.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post

automated trading kicked in based on word combinations. how's that for dumb.

"oh no! Obama won't be able to fly off to Hawaii for the 50th time! SELL! SELL!"

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    automated trading kicked in based on word combinations. how's that for dumb.
    The stock market lost hundreds of billions of dollars in value in two minutes.

About half of all stock market trades are computer driven, and their algorithms include buying and selling shares after scanning various news feeds including Twitter.

This attack exposed a big vulnerability in the system, and it also opened the door for future fraudulent activity. A person or group can hack a twitter account, post a false message which sends the markets automatically tumbling, buy the dip, and sell on the recovery a couple of minutes later. Instant profit, which could be huge if enough money is laid down.

Proof of concept successful yesterday.

Obviously perpetrated by Tea Baggers or extreme right wing white supremacists....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    Obviously perpetrated by Tea Baggers or extreme right wing white supremacists....
    lol - how do you think I know so much about it? And to think I tried to blame innocent Arab Muslims! Shame on me.