Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Since 2013 is clearly a rebuilding year, how is it make or break for Rex Ryan?

  1. #1

    Since 2013 is clearly a rebuilding year, how is it make or break for Rex Ryan?

    I don't think our record will matter as much as "how" we played and hopefully improved as the season went on when it comes to evaluating Rex Ryan's future with the Jets....

    I hear a lot of people in the media and Jets fans alike saying that Rex "needs" to win in 2013 to keep his job.....But I hear the same people telling us how bad the Jets roster is

    I feel like as long as the Jets play hard all year and show some signs of improving, Rex Ryan will be here to stay for the years to come.....A total collapse with locker room problems and or/ no signs of life from the team, and he's gone obviously......The actual record (WL) doesn't matter as much IMO

    If that weren't the case, Rex Ryan would have been gone already after last season with Tanny and Sparano
    Last edited by King Koopa; 04-24-2013 at 05:33 PM.

  2. #2
    I do not think it is a make it or break it year for Rex as far as record goes but it is as far as how the team plays and competes is concerned. I think he is fortunate because no one has any expectations for this team and I can easily see the team being a .500 team and him looking great for coaching up the team to that level (Whether it is true or not.)

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I do not think it is a make it or break it year for Rex as far as record goes but it is as far as how the team plays and competes is concerned. I think he is fortunate because no one has any expectations for this team and I can easily see the team being a .500 team and him looking great for coaching up the team to that level (Whether it is true or not.)
    Exactly what I was trying to get at.......I don't think we need to win X amount of games for Rex to stay on, it's more about how we look doing it

  4. #4
    It's not.

    Rex can coach. Don't listen to the whiners. They will out of one side of their mouth claim Mark Sanchez to be the worst QB to ever play and then out of the other side of their mouth claim that Rex is the worst head coach in the league. Conveniently void of all facts that Rex Ryan went to back-to-back AFC Championship Games with what they call the worst QB in the league.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    It's not.

    Rex can coach. Don't listen to the whiners. They will out of one side of their mouth claim Mark Sanchez to be the worst QB to ever play and then out of the other side of their mouth claim that Rex is the worst head coach in the league. Conveniently void of all facts that Rex Ryan went to back-to-back AFC Championship Games with what they call the worst QB in the league.


    Mark Sanchez is the worst QB ever, Rex is a horrible coach, so I guess those playoff victories and runs were just a mirage?? The logic doesn't add up

    I'm not a big fan of Woody Johnson, but I'm happy that it seems like he's on Rex's side.....He could easily fall for the media BS when it comes to Rex, and he hasn't so far

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,150
    So there is a way to go 3-13 and look great doing it?

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,252
    wake up people, the Jets know this year will be crap,& they'll need fall people aftet thos year, Rex & Mark new coach steps in next year & picks his new franchise QB

  8. #8
    There is no answer to the question. Nobody knows why we would keep a HC coaching for his job (and a future job) and have a GM who has a rebuilding mindset. Two conflicting interests. Maybe he's here for the long run? Or maybe Woodys just an idiot.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,982
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    wake up people, the Jets know this year will be crap,& they'll need fall people aftet thos year, Rex & Mark new coach steps in next year & picks his new franchise QB


    There are no expectations this year, why do they need a fall guy?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    wake up people, the Jets know this year will be crap,& they'll need fall people aftet thos year, Rex & Mark new coach steps in next year & picks his new franchise QB
    You don't need fall people for a team with ZERO expectations

    It's a rebuilding year.....Why can't media and fans just take that for what it's worth

  11. #11
    Woodys just an idiot, Rex is a sideshow act and Woody loves attention.
    Question answered, OP.

    By the way, he's a great defensive coordnator, unfortunately this is an offensive league. A true head coach is invested in both sides of the ball. Rex is always talking about his defense, with a rather obvious blind-eye towards the offense.

    There is zero good reason to retain Rex with the new GM, except that Woody is a loser owner and won't win crap.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    There is no answer to the question. Nobody knows why we would keep a HC coaching for his job (and a future job) and have a GM who has a rebuilding mindset. Two conflicting interests. Maybe he's here for the long run? Or maybe Woodys just an idiot.
    The answer is Rex is probably part of the rebuild.....There is no conflicting interest IMO

    Of course if the team collapses, that's it for Rex

  13. #13
    I don't think people get that Rex gives this team a competitive advantage. Our D will ALWAYS be top 10 or so. That's a luxury no one else has.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,790
    Rex will be the coach after this season.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I don't think people get that Rex gives this team a competitive advantage. Our D will ALWAYS be top 10 or so. That's a luxury no one else has.
    Too bad his loyalty and player evaluation is so bloody terrible. He kept two awful safeties a year longer than he should have. Has failed at getting a true pass rusher and been content with guys that 'know his system.' I'll be happy to see what he can do with some real players on defense.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    The answer is Rex is probably part of the rebuild.....There is no conflicting interest IMO

    Of course if the team collapses, that's it for Rex
    I disagree with the rebuild part. If Rex had his way we'd still have Revis and his defense wouldn't have been cut/let walk in free agency due to his loyalty IMO especially since he only has 1 year left to "prove himself". I just think all these signs point to him being here long term or else it would make no sense to bring him back this year.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I don't think people get that Rex gives this team a competitive advantage. Our D will ALWAYS be top 10 or so. That's a luxury no one else has.
    Um, Rex didn't get the Ravens job for a reason:

    Bisciotti and Newsome knew he wasn't a real head coach. He's an excellent defensive coordinator. But he's not a great head coach. Neither was his dad. Neither is his brother.

    I would take him over perhaps every defensive coordinator in the league as a defensive coordinator. However, I would not take him as a head coach. There's a lot I would prefer to him.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Question answered, OP.

    By the way, he's a great defensive coordnator, unfortunately this is an offensive league. A true head coach is invested in both sides of the ball. Rex is always talking about his defense, with a rather obvious blind-eye towards the offense.

    There is zero good reason to retain Rex with the new GM, except that Woody is a loser owner and won't win crap.
    Except his defense carried one of the worst offenses in the league to two AFC Championship Games. All on the road.

    Defense still wins in this league. Just ask the Broncos what happens when your defense doesn't step up.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Except his defense carried one of the worst offenses in the league to two AFC Championship Games. All on the road.

    Defense still wins in this league. Just ask the Broncos what happens when your defense doesn't step up.
    He drafted Sanchez. He has his wife tatooed with Sanchez's jersey on his shoulder.

    AFC Championship appearances are lollipops for losers.

    If he had signed or gone after a true game manager in 2009, whether he drafted Buttchez or not, that was a Super Bowl team. His bad decision to start not only a rookie QB with 2 total years as a starter on his resume for his ENTIRE LIFE but also one from USC doomed a loaded defense (constructed largely by Mangini) destructive ball-control offense, and not-awful receiving corps in 2009 (because that roster was in fact miles better than 2010) with the curse of an absolutely abhorrent QB.

    If Defense still wins, then the 2009 Jets would've won the Super Bowl. And every Rex supporter likes to ignore the fact that the majority of the 2009 and 2010 rosters were constructed by Mangini.

  20. #20
    It all depends on how a young, developing team responds to his CS, practices, and procedures. That will determine Rex's future.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us