Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Draft week may define John Idzik era

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    Interesting article.
    It tells me that Idzik will probably go conservative in the 1st round and draft an O-lineman and a OLB. Wouldn't mind that at all (worked well for Seattle).
    Sorry but Seattle (smartly) has never drafted a guard in the first round, and Cimini is just making stuff up as usual. Typical Jets move would be a knee jerk response. Response to what? Did something happen to us. WTH is he talking about? I think we traded Revis. You can't respond to something you did yourself, can you? Coples, Wilkerson, Wilson, Which one of these was a bold knee jerk pick? Trading for Tebow was stupid, but was it a bold knee jerk reaction? Yeah great article filled with absolutely no information. What a Dick Cimini.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Sorry but Seattle (smartly) has never drafted a guard in the first round, and Cimini is just making stuff up as usual. Typical Jets move would be a knee jerk response. Response to what? Did something happen to us. WTH is he talking about? I think we traded Revis. You can't respond to something you did yourself, can you? Coples, Wilkerson, Wilson, Which one of these was a bold knee jerk pick? Trading for Tebow was stupid, but was it a bold knee jerk reaction? Yeah great article filled with absolutely no information. What a Dick Cimini.
    Oh really. And smartly? Hutch wasn't on Schneider's watch but let's all stop thinking Idzik is going to do everything 100% like Seattle. He wasn't responsible for picking the players and didn't. This is Idziks first time 'being the guy'.

Drafted in the first round of the 2001 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks, Hutchinson spent his first five seasons with that team. In March 2006, Hutchinson, a free agent, was designated as Seattle's transition player. On March 14, 2012, Steve Hutchinson met with the Seattle Seahawks, to work out a possible deal with his former team.

Unanimous All-American (2000)
    7 Pro Bowl (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)
    7 All-Pro (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)
    2 NFL Alumni Offensive Lineman of the Year (2006, 2009)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 2008, 2009 and 2010 drafts caused the rebuild - fewest picks in the NFL during that 3 year span, looking for that last piece of the puzzle...

The last two drafts have been ok, funny reading last years review: "boom or bust"
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...-in-2012-draft

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    How does one draft define his era? Cimini really is a tool.

The author said when you combine the draft with the move to trade Revis, the best player on the team. it is a defining moment and I agree.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the totality of his work that will be the defining characteristic here. This is a very important draft and Idzik will be measured based on that. But not anymore so than other drafts and his total overall work. It's things like contract negotiations, what he does in FA, etc., those will be hot button issues because of what Tanny did during his years. Those issues are high on the radar from fans aware of what Tanny did when he was here.

When you look at this from a short to long term measure, this draft is very important. The Jets have multiple picks, and if they plan being competitive quickly, Idzik will need to restock the team with talent this season. If he misses and the Jets flop, he will be heavily criticized.

Remember, everybody loved Tanny when the team was going to back to back championships. Those same fans dropped him like a hot potato after last season.

Overall, and I agree with Idzik's approach here, WINS will determine how he is portayed. In other words, don't get too concerned with needs to fill as there are way too many to even try to fill. But building a good talent base for which to operate from will make his job much easier going forward.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    this is true to an extent, fair or unfair. look at tanny. he made lots of moves as gm. he will be remembered for trading up for sanchez, fair or unfair.
    He will be remembered for ALWAYS trading up and giving away picks resulting in an extremely thin roster. Blech! Good riddance.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    A jag qb won the last two super bowls. Qbs are not as important as everyone makes them out to be. They get way too much credit/blame.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    Eli Manning is an elite QB. No way is he a JAG. I would take him in a heartbeat.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    How does one draft define his era? Cimini really is a tool.
    Always has been, always will be, along with Serby, who turns my stomach.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The author said when you combine the draft with the move to trade Revis, the best player on the team. it is a defining moment and I agree.
    Considering that Idzik had no say in jettisoning Revis (All Woody, folks... 100% no doubt about it), how does the trade of Revis "define" Idzik? That's the most absurd thing I've heard on this board in years. Utterly ridiculous.

"Define" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm so sick of these moronic pudits.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. responding to Dcat, if Idzik felt that strongly about Revis, Woody would have listened.

2. Idzik will take the steady, conservative approach to rebuilding our team. That is the right way to do it. (paying a corner 16 million per year is not conservative, its stupid)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    A jag qb won the last two super bowls. Qbs are not as important as everyone makes them out to be. They get way too much credit/blame.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    If Flacco and Manning are JAG QBs, then by that logic there are only four QBs in the NFL that aren't JAGs. Can't really agree with that.

BTW, I for one am not upset that Idzik will be leaning on Bradway for this draft. It's the one thing Terry isn't bad at, and if Bradway is as high on a QB that can be had in the 2nd round or later as he was on Russell Wilson, then let's get that guy this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    1. responding to Dcat, if Idzik felt that strongly about Revis, Woody would have listened.

2. Idzik will take the steady, conservative approach to rebuilding our team. That is the right way to do it. (paying a corner 16 million per year is not conservative, its stupid)
    no, I respectfully disagree. I actually agree with Francesa (whom I despise) on this and have felt all along that Idzik was hired under the following conditions:

1. You're keeping Rex at least one more year
    2. You are trading Revis so don't bother negotiating with his people.

Those decisions were made before Idzik ever boarded the plane for his interview.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    no, I respectfully disagree. I actually agree with Francesa (whom I despise) on this and have felt all along that Idzik was hired under the following conditions:

1. You're keeping Rex at least one more year
    2. You are trading Revis so don't bother negotiating with his people.

Those decisions were made before Idzik ever boarded the plane for his interview.
    Without question. Not a doubt in my mind.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Without question. Not a doubt in my mind.
    Disagree...

If Revis was willing to sign for around 10 mill a year, he'd be a Jet.

In an era where teams have so many good receiving options though, allocating so much of your cap to one single corner just isn't good business.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Disagree...

If Revis was willing to sign for around 10 mill a year, he'd be a Jet.

In an era where teams have so many good receiving options though, allocating so much of your cap to one single corner just isn't good business.
    The Jets never made Revis an offer. There were no negotiations. There was no contact. The decision to trade Revis was made well before Idzik was even being considered. Woody said "no mas" on Revis and that was that.

Sorry, but Cimini is dead wrong. Trading Revis in no way "defines" Idzik or comes remotely close to "defining" Idzik. It's far more a definition of Woody Johnson.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    The Jets never made Revis an offer. There were no negotiations. There was no contact. The decision to trade Revis was made well before Idzik was even being considered. Woody said "no mas" on Revis and that was that.

Sorry, but Cimini is dead wrong. Trading Revis in no way "defines" Idzik or comes remotely close to "defining" Idzik. It's far more a definition of Woody Johnson.
    I know that was said, but there is always an understanding between the agent and the GM as to what type of contract the player is looking for.

If Revis wanted to sign for 10 mill a year, he'd be a Jet.

And Idzik absolutely is graded for trading Revis. If he felt strongly enough against it, Woody would have went with him, or Woody wouldn't have hired him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I know that was said, but there is always an understanding between the agent and the GM as to what type of contract the player is looking for.

If Revis wanted to sign for 10 mill a year, he'd be a Jet.

And Idzik absolutely is graded for trading Revis. If he felt strongly enough against it, Woody would have went with him, or Woody wouldn't have hired him.
    that's nave. Woody set ground rules for the GM search and keeping Rex and dumping Revis were part of them. Perhaps that's a major reason why people weren't lining up to apply for the job. Especially experienced people. Enter Idzik, who bought in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cimini is awful. The only way this draft defines Idzik is if he gets fired after this season.

Which could happen since Woody could throw a hissy fit when he has to fire Rex after a 4-12 season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex won't ever go 4-12... No matter how bad the offense is, his defense will always get at least 6 wins.

And there is zero chance Idzik gets fired after year 1 outside of getting arrested.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Remember, everybody loved Tanny when the team was going to back to back championships. Those same fans dropped him like a hot potato after last season.
    Oh no we didn't! Many people here, including myself, never liked the way trader Mike squandered precious draft picks. HATED HIM for that then and even more NOW. Tannenbaum has been under fire through many years, including the 2 playoff years under Rex.

Overall, and I agree with Idzik's approach here, WINS will determine how he is portayed. In other words, don't get too concerned with needs to fill as there are way too many to even try to fill. But building a good talent base for which to operate from will make his job much easier going forward.
    Yes, that sums it up nicely.