Thread: Revis's contract (holdout)

Revis's contract (holdout)

I read in today's Daily News that Revis insisted that his 16 million per year contract contain no punitive language regarding any possible future holdout....

Can anyone possibly imagine him holding out after this year? Asking for 18 million or something? I mean what is the point of insisting on that part of the contract? Your talking 16 million per year!

As much as the new york media baffoons like Beningo and crew poo-poo this deal, what do you think they would have written about the Jets had THEY signed Revis to a 16 million dollar per year deal for 6 years that excluded any holdout language? They would have teared the Jets management a new one, and rightfully so in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MadCroatian View Post
    I read in today's Daily News that Revis insisted that his 16 million per year contract contain no punitive language regarding any possible future holdout....

Can anyone possibly imagine him holding out after this year? Asking for 18 million or something? I mean what is the point of insisting on that part of the contract? Your talking 16 million per year!

As much as the new york media baffoons like Beningo and crew poo-poo this deal, what do you think they would have written about the Jets had THEY signed Revis to a 16 million dollar per year deal for 6 years that excluded any holdout language? They would have teared the Jets management a new one, and rightfully so in my opinion.
    what's to stop him from holding out before this year?

practices for a few weeks, shows he's healthy and demands guaranteed money. Bucs would almost certainly have to fold and give into his demands.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I was so impressed with this board. Who is Revis?

this is fair as a flip-side to non-guaranteed. the Bucs can cut him without repercussions. he can sit out without repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    this is fair as a flip-side to non-guaranteed. the Bucs can cut him without repercussions. he can sit out without repercussions.
    While this is very true, as a Jet fan you don't think like that. You just think, here goes darelle setting himself up for a big holdout again.

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    While this is very true, as a Jet fan you don't think like that. You just think, here goes darelle setting himself up for a big holdout again.
    History dictates that this will happen.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCroatian View Post

No, I can't possibly imagine him holding out. He is unselfish and all about the team and would never do such a thing.

I think he will play out this year but if he plays well watch out - no way he plays another game for them without guaranteed money.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Dude, its a business, and Mevis has his peeps, AND uncle Gilbert to look after.

yall act like you wouldnt take what you could get from your employers.

If Mevi$ plays well he definitely holds out next season for "guaranteed" money to "feed his family"

What would be hysterical is if he fully recovers, plays really well in preseason and holds out at the beginning of the regular season. TB would have so little leverage.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    I think he will play out this year but if he plays well watch out - no way he plays another game for them without guaranteed money.

Actually Darrelle cut the best deal for himself at this juncture coming off injury...and saying there are no 'guarantees' in the deal is a bit misleading. Why?

Because the way the NFL CBA works IIRC, as a veteran, if he is on the roster to start the season his salary is guaranteed for the whole year...and his salary is $13 mill base. This, when the franchise tag value fora CB is like $10 mill...not to shabby...and even though he had NO leverage to make the Jets re-do his deal if they didn't want to, Revis scored a $10 mill raise for 2013 ALONE...and he is coming off an ACL reconstruction!

And, since I cannot even fathom that TB would cut Darrelle before his second season there after dealing a 1st to get him, the same above applies...so even though it isn't implicitly stated as a 'guarantee', in actuality Darrelle got himself a MINIMUM 2yr/$32 mill deal...which is remarkable considering some pretty good other CB's were signing for much less than $10 mill per.

I suppose Darrelle could hold out, but I'm not too sure why he would..if he comes back the same as before, it is much more likely for TB to approach him about giving him an upfront bonus and renegotiated yrly salary to less his yearly cap hit...and conversely TB will continue to pay him and not cut him until he would prove that he isn't the same or not worth $16 mill per year..and that will take at least 2 yrs.

So, Darrelle has it pretty good right now.