Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NO QB'S THIS DRAFT, JETS!!!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the Jets WILL take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round this year. Good teams have good QB's. It's a simple equation. The Jets have perhaps the worst QB situation in the league and I don't see how they can look their fanbase in the eyes and charge top shelf prices for a bottom shelf product unless they attempt to significantly upgrade the most important position on the field. There might not be a top 5 QB on the board this year but I believe there are several players that could be good NFL QB's. If the Jets feel the same, you can bet the house that one will be drafted no later than the 2nd round.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Look at the history of the NFL....Wilson and Kapernick are FLUKES. For every one of them there are 50 busts. I love those who think based on what happened last season there are QB's like those hanging off trees for the picking.
    LOL...1 in 50? Ok.

But if ya never take a QB, apparently since he's not a sure-fire first ballot HOFer outta da box, the odds are 0 out of 50 that you'll find your man.

The Jets WILL take a QB in this draft, probably NOT in the top 3 picks...and I'm ok with that. I'd be OK if they take 2 LOL...having 2 good QB's is a good problem to have. There are plenty of 'flyer' candidates in this draft....Dysart, Bray, Jones, Wilson and even Scott, Renfree or Rodgers I could see.

One of these guys, if the Jets think he's even a possibility of being the 'one' will be in Jet green by the end of the weekend

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    I'm not expecting too much next season either ... But ...

I feel a couple of those are exaggerations

Holmes is an average #1, hill below average #2 but young and improving still ... Just need some stick-em for those hands, and Kerley is avg-above avg #3 wr

The DL is good

Cro is a solid #1 cb ... I don't love wilson but Rex was able to scheme them to surprisingly not drop to far once we lost revis

I know we've lost Westhoff and specials were not as good last as they'd been ... But without looking it up I thought they were average not bad
    DL is severely depelted with Pouha and DeVito gone. Holmes is a huge question mark coming off serious injury and our ST's stunk last year with the best coordinator in the game. What makes you think they'll be better.

I don't think I'm exaggerating at all.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at them all. It's like a mob of confused soldiers.... "quar-ter-back! quar-ter-back! quar-ter-back!"

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    DL is severely depelted with Pouha and DeVito gone. Holmes is a huge question mark coming off serious injury and our ST's stunk last year with the best coordinator in the game. What makes you think they'll be better.

Believe we'd already brought in someone else to battle Ellis for the DT/nT spot ... And outside of Mangold the 2 DE's are prob our best players.

I am on board with us drafting WR at 13 or in the 2nd/3rd round ... Due to eventually replacing Holmes's attitude ... But as far as short term, I hadn't heard news that he wouldn't be returning to pre-injury condition ... Perhaps I just missed it

As far a specials I don't expect them to be better ... I expect them to remain about the same ... What I was saying in my previous post was (without looking the results up) my recollection of them last year was that they were average not that they were bad ... Guess I may be wrong on that

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hell...I'd take a shot at any of these guys in the 6th or 7th:

Ryan Griffin, Tulane
    Jeff Tuel, Wash St
    Dayne Crist, Kansas

All I want is the Jets to draft ANY QB that THEY have evaluated and think can be a long-term solution..regardless of round.

I am also OK if they share the OP's sentiments that none are worth selecting..but I have a feeling they will take at least 1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Soothie sir, i hope you are right, but i know u are wrong.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you're exaggerating. Pouha hardly played last year and not very well when he did play. Devito was just OK. Our talent is Mo and Coples, with Ellis and we'll fill in the rest...probably with Pouha. We'll be better there. The linebackers will be faster, the running backs will be better, and we most likely will have a young pass rusher. Thinking we'll stink enough to get a franchise QB in the draft next year is off base. The Jets don't make it that simple. They will win enough to be out of the top 5 picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    Yes, you're exaggerating. Pouha hardly played last year and not very well when he did play. Devito was just OK. Our talent is Mo and Coples, with Ellis and we'll fill in the rest...probably with Pouha. We'll be better there. The linebackers will be faster, the running backs will be better, and we most likely will have a young pass rusher. Thinking we'll stink enough to get a franchise QB in the draft next year is off base. The Jets don't make it that simple. They will win enough to be out of the top 5 picks.
    All this is irrelevant if you don't believe there's franchise potential in this draft class. It's no secret this draft is short on talent in the QB department.. I REFUSE to draft a QB just because "Mark is Bad"... that's bush league. Call Jeff George out of retirement, I don't give a sh*t... don't waste my draft picks on pickle-players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd trade down from 9 or 13 and take a qb in the 2nd or 3rd with the extra pick. It's not exactly common but you can get a QB in the 2nd or 3rd. I wouldn't take any of these guys in the 1st.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Browns have been playing the "it's ok to suck this year, we're getting our franchise QB next year" game for decades. If the Jets brass sees a guy they like in this draft and he is still on the board at the right time, they absolutely need to pull the trigger. I'm skeptical they will, though, seems like a 50/50 proposition. The FO seems committed to wringing every last drop of potential value out of their #5 investment, and may prefer to gamble next year.

The nightmare scenario at this point is Rex coaching up the young defense and Sanchez improving from god-awful to mediocre under MM's system. Something like 3,700/20 td/18 int/80 rating. The Jets go 7-9, Rex stays, Sanchez restructures as the Jets look toward the future with Mark.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    SO you think Sanchez is fine too? All his problems were caused by a bad OL, bad WRs, bad RBs and bad OC's?

Really? I never thought of either of you as nave, but anyone who thinks that just doesn't see the reality of how bad this guy is.
    I never said that. But you should come to terms that we're stuck with him and the odds of drafting someone who will come in and be any type of solution is extremely slim. Use the picks to shore up all the other TONS of shortcomings the team has. That's the smart move.
    I know I'm alone here, but there is a chance, however slim, that Mark Sanchez turns it around.

He is quite good on the run, the WCO may just put him in a position to make a few plays.

Either way, this team needs so much help everywhere, you draft the best player possible in the position you're in or trade down and accumulate more picks. Next year with a new head coach and the #1 pick overall, we may pull a Colts and bounce back fast.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mind if we take one in the 2nd-4th round, if rex has noting to do with the decision, and its ok'd by Marty, and I won't mind if we don't take one.

The problem I have with waiting till next year is next year may change between now and then, remember all those people who said if Barkley entered the draft last year he would have went high in the draft and that is with RG3 and Andrew Luck. He stays in college and his value drops, the same could happen to any of the guys we are coveting right now, Defenses can figure out Johnny Football or he can get hurt and next year can turn into this one.

We don't know what the Jets Record will be and if they will even be in a place to draft whom ever emerges as the quarterbacks of next years draft. You can speculate all you want, but if your the Jets you can't plan on sucking. Bottom line this time next year we might have one or two QB candidates worth taking and not be in a position to take them, and find ourselves in the same boat and at that time better than Sanchez won't seem so bad.

If we do, I will selfishly be happy because if Sanchez plays I will have to watch football under a doctors supervision (I wonder of Obama care covers that), because I can't take it. If a rookie plays that bad it will be frustrating but hey he's a rookie not a 5yr starter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81 View Post
    Hell...I'd take a shot at any of these guys in the 6th or 7th:

Ryan Griffin, Tulane
    Jeff Tuel, Wash St
    Dayne Crist, Kansas

All I want is the Jets to draft ANY QB that THEY have evaluated and think can be a long-term solution..regardless of round.

I am also OK if they share the OP's sentiments that none are worth selecting..but I have a feeling they will take at least 1
    Tuel is an interesting prospect to me. Take away the acute compartment syndrome, which I am guessing every GM in the NFL had to google when they heard about it, and he'd likely be one of the top prospects right now. I think someone will use a 6th rounder on him. The kid can play he just has some really bad luck staying healthy. Really thought he'd get a boost at the combine but he wasnt invited. Ran a 4.55 at his pro day which would have been the fastest time for a QB. Dude has Wilson's speed with better size. Also smart but needs some work on his mechanics.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And just who is this mystery man QB? Also, tell me who this QB will throw to, hand off to, and even more important, who's his blockers.
    So you would rather pass on a chance to pick up a prospect in the 3rd or 4th because our WRs suck? What? I absolutely want Idzik to pick a QB prospect in the midrounds.

You're making a huge assumption that Jets will wind up with the 2014 #1 or 2 pick. Are you so sure we will have one of the worst two records in the NFL? In fact, we'd stand a far better chance getting closer to the #1 pick by starting a rookie this year. LOL. I wouldn't be totally surprised if Morningweg can make something of the run game with Goodson and maybe Ivory. I don't think we'll be one of the 2 worst records, so unless you want Manziel lower in round 1 there aren't any other 1st rd QBs in that draft. How do you know we can trade up? What if the teams at 1 & 2 are set for the picks and won't trade? And if we're lucky enough to get a team willing to trade the top pick, how do you know Idzik won't be outbid? We just can't assume we'll get Bridgewater.

To forego the QB position in this draft could be a colossal blunder. You can't find a gem like Russell Wilson without drafting him first. They need to do their homework on the QBs and pick one with upside. 4th round or later. Make no mistake, I do not want to see Idzik overpay for any of Barkley, Manuel, Nassib or Glennon. Draft the best prospect later in the draft. And there will be several.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the history of the NFL....Wilson and Kapernick are FLUKES. For every one of them there are 50 busts. I love those who think based on what happened last season there are QB's like those hanging off trees for the picking.
    Not drafting one guarantees we won't get one. You draft a QB every year until you get the right one. And to assume next year's flukes are any better than this year's is nonsensical. Unless you somehow know that the Jets will be able to get the overall #1, which is unlikely. Its crazy to be putting all the eggs in the elusive Bridgewater basket.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Folks, it's clear this is a cap clearing rebuilding stop-gap year.

The QB's we currently have on the roster (minus Tebow who will be gone soon) will get us through the year.

Being there are no franchise type QB's in this draft it makes sense to load up on other areas we are lacking (LB, DE, OL, TE, S...etc).

Drafting any QB this draft would be a wasted pick IMO.

Shore up other areas and build with talented youth.

I agree, but even with the extra picks we have, there's no way we'll fill all of the holes we have. That's why I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of trading down.

My ideal scenario would be trading the #9 overall selection for multiple picks. Hopefully, Warmack/Cooper/Mingo/Jones are there at 13. If that works, I that is a coup for the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I agree, but even with the extra picks we have, there's no way we'll fill all of the holes we have. That's why I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of trading down.

My ideal scenario would be trading the #9 overall selection for multiple picks. Hopefully, Warmack/Cooper/Mingo/Jones are there at 13. If that works, I that is a coup for the Jets.
    This is my preference as well, Jets have 8 picks and need at least three starters S, OG, LB, upgrades at DL/TE and potential playmakers at WR and RB

Ideally those 7 picks are complete by round 5 to have a chance to contribute, so they need at least one more mid round pick via trade down to fill holes, then round 6 and 7 picks can be used for depth/development, no picks left for a QB unless they strike gold trading down

Hoping the Vikings or 49ers will be trade partners - wonder if they had a deal in principle with SF prior to the Revis trade - Idzik seems calculated, so maybe?

Going to be an interesting weekend

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

That would be a great scenario. Still...NO QB'S!!

You would even have a better chance getting a starter via Free Agency or Trade next season than finding one in the later rounds of the draft. Get someone else's find. Even if you have to pay more for him that's a better plan IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a whole college season next year. There will be many more names that surface. Making that prediction now isn't very smart.
    You draft one in the mid rounds now and you draft another next year. That's what makes sense. Putting all the eggs in the 2014 basket is just dumb and extremely risky. Anyone who assumes we will get Bridgewater is ignoring the high probability that the Jets will not finish worst or 2d worst and that teams who are there would be willing to trade. Even if they were, it would take a Mike Ditka-Ricky Williams insane trade to move up.

I don't get it. How can any of you be so confident that the jets will be able to get into position to draft Bridgewater? Huge risk that most of you are inexplicably ignoring.