Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones says Jets are High on him...............

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Jarvis Jones says Jets are High on him...............

by Conor Orr Star Ledger

NFL Draft 2013: Jarvis Jones says Jets are high on him

Jarvis Jones hasn't read any mock drafts and, by now, is done listening to anyone who thinks a bad 40-time at his pro day workout will knock him out of the upper-tier in Thursday's NFL Draft.

"It's still in the air, I just know that the teams I've visited, and from what I've been hearing, I can go as early as the Top 5 and as late as the Top 20," Jones told The Star-Ledger following an appearance he did with Subway in Manhattan this afternoon.

The event featured a giant sub made to look like Jones, a 6-2, 245-pound outside linebacker from Georgia.

One of those teams apparently high on Jones? The Jets, who are in desperate need of a pass rusher and have two chances (No. 9 and No. 13) to select him in the first-round.

"From what I've been hearing they've been high on me and hopefully, if I'm available at that time they'll pull the trigger," Jones said. "I've been hearing a lot of Jets talk."

Jones said he had a great experience with Jets head coach Rex Ryan, who worked him out personally at the Georgia pro day. The focus was on a lot of coverage-related drills, likely because Jones' reputation as a pass rusher has already been cemented. This season he had 24.5 tackles for loss, seven forced fumbles, 85 total tackles, 14.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries, three pass breakups, one interception, and 34 QB pressures, according to the Mel Kiper Draft book.

He has drawn comparisons to Ravens OLB Terrell Suggs, who also didn't run well at his pro day. Suggs, obviously is one of Ryan's favorites.

"Coach Rex was out there, he worked me out on the change of direction drills," Jones said. "Cool guy, man. He loves football, knows a lot of football. I asked him about the game and he loves defensive players who make plays."

He added: "Teams wanted to see me in coverage a lot. So (Rex) wanted to see me move, stop, backpedal, all the stuff like that, turn and run."

Ryan also gave Jones a list of things to work on.

"It was a great experience, I was talking to him about different football techniques," Jones said. "The times we spent, I did learn something from him and the most important thing was him telling me some of the things I needed to work on and just to stay positive."

Jones took the words to heart, and is continuing not to worry about his reputation being clouded before the draft. At his pro day workout, he ran a 4.92 40-yard dash. Teams are also checking in about his spinal stenosis condition, which has caused some NFL players to hang it up in the past.

"I feel like I don't have to prove anyone wrong," Jones said. "At the end of the day, I feel like the team who drafts me -- I don't get into politics, what they think and don't think, my job is to play football and that's what I'm focused on. (I'm focused on) making myself the best player in America by training and staying focused.

"At the end of the day the coaches and GM's are going to make that decision and if they choose me, I'm willing to sacrifice everything to be great. They're going to have a wonderful football player and a guy with great charachter. All the other stuff, the mock drafts, the 40 time and all that other stuff, it's done with. It's over."

Hall Of Fame
    I wonder if Rex told him we were picking him.

i'd be very happy with a combination of Warmack and Jones.

I really like jones. He's one of my favorite players in this draft but the stenosis really scares me. Im not sure if we should take him or not but if he didn't have stenosis I'd take him without thinking twice.

Warmack/Cooper and Jones.

All League
    He had one of the most productive seasons for a college rusher in years. Lead the nation in sacks, tackles for a loss while forcing 7 fumbles. His tape is amazing.

I'm ok with it provided they do their homework on his spine.

Even though I've been advocating for Mingo, I really do like Jones. I just don't see elite pass rushing potential in him. But he's a guy that could give you 7-10 sacks a season.

Would be fine with Jarvis.

All Pro
    Any chance Javis Jones is still on the board when the Jets pick in the 2nd round? I wouldn't be shocked if he drops further than people are predicting due to the spinal stenosis.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Any chance Javis Jones is still on the board when the Jets pick in the 2nd round? I wouldn't be shocked if he drops further than people are predicting due to the spinal stenosis.
    He had an interview today where he said there was no way he was slipping past Pittsburgh at 17. Seems like a "we'll pick you if youre there agreement" but those don't always mean much.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

He is on NFL network's Road to the Draft and while he's saying all the right things he looks kinda small, thin & scrappy. I like him, but the next 48 hours is going to seem like an eternity until the boards are set. I say stock drops like Enron between now & Thursday night. Take him if he's there in the 2nd.

JMHO. (-;

This might be one of those over analyzed moments where everyone enamored with the combine forgets that sometimes you throw all that chit out & take a really productive guy that when you peel away all the BS,
    You realize that he's a kick Azz football player with natural instincts that all of those combine heroes like Gholston never had.

It's not about the combine numbers with Jones to me. The guy has very serious health concerns and is much older than you would like. He's the same age as Wilkerson who will be going to his third year, and a year older than Coples who we drafted last year...

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    This might be one of those over analyzed moments where everyone enamored with the combine forgets that sometimes you throw all that chit out & take a really productive guy that when you peel away all the BS,
    You realize that he's a kick Azz football player with natural instincts that all of those combine heroes like Gholston never had.
    Except Gholston had 14.5 sacks in 13 games in college.

Spinal Stenosis is the narrowing of the spaces in the spine that hold the spinal chord I believe. I've never heard of a player not playing because of spinal stenosis but I guess if it gets a lot worse it will lead to pinch nerves and a lot of back problems - but not in a young athlete - it should not effect him till he's at least 35 yrs old. I have major spinal stenosis and as long as I do a few certain exercises every other day I have zero problems - and Im 50 and surf and play softball. I don't think this spinal stenosis should be an issue for Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    It's not about the combine numbers with Jones to me. The guy has very serious health concerns and is much older than you would like. He's the same age as Wilkerson who will be going to his third year, and a year older than Coples who we drafted last year...
    +1
    Health
    And then a "bad" combine makes him unattractive in the early first

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    If DRC can cover WR's with a unikidney, Double J is certainly aight with a lil steenosis.

Cool

No way he drops to the second round. Either Pittsburgh, NE or Baltimore would be more than happy to snap him up.

I want us to get out of this draft with a pass rusher. If the Jets draft Jones, I'd be fine with that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    No way he drops to the second round. Either Pittsburgh, NE or Baltimore would be more than happy to snap him up.

I want us to get out of this draft with a pass rusher. If the Jets draft Jones, I'd be fine with that.
    Saw a NY times mauck with JJ going to the Bolts at 11. Another team in the hunt.

Jordan>Jarvis>Ziggy>Mingo for me

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Jordan>Jarvis>Ziggy>Mingo for me
    Only looked at 2 draft maucks, but they both had the jets uniting with Mingo @ #9.