Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It Figures... 12 years waiting, and we take one that's 5'8, 175lbs

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Patterson at 13? No way.
    I'm not saying we should... but if i had the choice of Patterson or Austin, I'd take Patterson.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I'm not saying we should... but if i had the choice of Patterson or Austin, I'd take Patterson.
    I would take Hopkins, Allen and Hunter before I would take Patterson.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wait until two years from now when draft another mighty midget.

My boy below Shane Wynn from Indiana - all 5'7" 167 lbs!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me get this straight....the biggest whiner any forum has ever seen, the one who wastes more bandwidth than anyone else is whining that people are talking about the NFL draft on the day of the draft?

So why open a thread that is clearly about the draft? Its not like when we have to read his nonsensical, redundant anti Rex posts in just about every and any thread...regardless of the subject.

There should be an idiots page, like there is a draft page, where certain peoples posts, threads etc can be dumped.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take Patterson or Eifert over Austin.
    simple response to that comment.....ur dumb.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last time I checked we drafted a 6'4, 4.3 forty freak last year. He showed the ability to get open at will and make big plays. He has a great head on his shoulders and is a hard worker. Are we really giving up on him? Hill showed me a lot last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I've been waiting 12 freaking years for this franchise to spend a 1st round pick on a WR. Santana bloody Moss (another skyscraper) was the last time we settled on truly reaching for an elite playmaker at wide out... And when do we decide to do it again?

Not on AJ Greene, or Julio Jones..

Not on Larry F, or Roddy White. Not even on Dez Bryant... Nope.

...I would have sold my soul on draft day for Crabtree. Would knocked up my own Cousin for Floyd last year... But the fateful year I've been waiting for was 2013. The year we finally take-- uhm Tavon??

That's right, Tavon "just call me Percy - only i'm not" Austin.... All 5 foot 8 and 175 pounds of him. Jesus Christ.

Let me be clear - Austin's not a bust. Nor is he going to suck in the NFL... but he's is NOT a blue chip WR. He'll always be a function of the offense he's playing in, and he'll always have to play inside. He's never, ever, ever going to be an X or Z wideout... He's always going to be a slot/role guy... and that's OK...

But that's not what I wanted to see the Jets spend their #9 pick AND That's not the kind of WR i wanted to see the Jets break the 1st round WR drought on...

JI has some absolutely INFLATED and exaggerated expectations about what Austin can do. Forget him spending half the time in the backfield. That's not going to happen in the NFL at his size. Forget him being mr. all purpose threat like Harvin. He's going to look more like McCluster than Harvin when it comes to executing those gimmick plays on Sunday. AKA getting his bell rung.

As long as you all are at peace with drafting a slot guy with speed, then it's all good. Just keep that in mind. Personally I'll be at peace with the pick 20 minutes after it's made, but I really hope this is all a game to get interest in our pick.

Dude get a grip of yourself, your dweebness is creepy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    My Jets Insider VIP money funds a subforum and an entire website dedicated to the draft.

SAR I
    How much does it break down to per week ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Last time I checked we drafted a 6'4, 4.3 forty freak last year. He showed the ability to get open at will and make big plays. He has a great head on his shoulders and is a hard worker. Are we really giving up on him? Hill showed me a lot last year.
    Not at all, whats wrong with more weapons?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    simple response to that comment.....ur dumb.
    What's that for? We're talking football. let's not use insults if you disagree with something.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't even know why someone would bring up Harvin's name when discussing Austin. They aren't even close in their traits. What makes Harvin great is how tough he is to bring down. Austin goes down easily. Harvin is also extremely shifty in the short area where Austin is more of a straight ahead type of guy.

The only guy Austin should be compared to is Desean Jackson. McCluster as a comparison doesn't even fit.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Pre-emptive griping..... nice.
    So people can get their 'I told you so' threads ready. Insane.
    Go read a book or fap to get your mind off the draft. This is small stuff you can't control.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's that for? We're talking football. let's not use insults if you disagree with something.
    thats not an insult!! it was a fact based on ur comment.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    As you can see, I don't post too often, but as a WVU alumnus and Jetts fan, this topic is very interesting to me. Just a few things I felt like I would add to the discussion. Austin's is extremely shifty. The guy always makes people miss in a box. You don't even need to watch a lot of game film to see that attribute pop. I am definitely a homer, but this guy has the goods. I shake my head when I hear him pigeonholed as just a slot receiver. The guy is a weapon that is going to be used all over the field. One thing about Austin, he's always been the most talented guy on the field at every level he's played at. He's the all time MD state HS rushing and TD leader. I know that means nothing now, but I think it speaks to his versitility and ability to adjust to multiple roles. When he got to WVU, Devine was there and they had to get him on the field, so he was moved to receiver. WVU had several guys dinged up at RB, so Austin moves back to RB vs Oklahoma this year. First start at RB since HS and the guy now owns the single most rushing yards in a game vs Oklahoma. Not too shabby.

So how many touches a game warrants a high first round pick? Austin can easily touch the ball 15 times a game between catching passes, runs, kickoff and punt returns.

Would he have been a first round round pick 5 years ago? Hell no. I think we can all agree on that. Like it or not, the NFL has changed. So should our expectations of what a playmaker needs to look like.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC1834 View Post
    As you can see, I don't post too often, but as a WVU alumnus and Jetts fan, this topic is very interesting to me. Just a few things I felt like I would add to the discussion. Austin's is extremely shifty. The guy always makes people miss in a box. You don't even need to watch a lot of game film to see that attribute pop. I am definitely a homer, but this guy has the goods. I shake my head when I hear him pigeonholed as just a slot receiver. The guy is a weapon that is going to be used all over the field. One thing about Austin, he's always been the most talented guy on the field at every level he's played at. He's the all time MD state HS rushing and TD leader. I know that means nothing now, but I think it speaks to his versitility and ability to adjust to multiple roles. When he got to WVU, Devine was there and they had to get him on the field, so he was moved to receiver. WVU had several guys dinged up at RB, so Austin moves back to RB vs Oklahoma this year. First start at RB since HS and the guy now owns the single most rushing yards in a game vs Oklahoma. Not too shabby.

So how many touches a game warrants a high first round pick? Austin can easily touch the ball 15 times a game between catching passes, runs, kickoff and punt returns.

Would he have been a first round round pick 5 years ago? Hell no. I think we can all agree on that. Like it or not, the NFL has changed. So should our expectations of what a playmaker needs to look like.
    nice post. Thanks for the info. I do like Austin. Still, it's hard to reconcile his going in the first 20 -25 picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Do you not agree with the D. Jackson comparisons, or is that not a good enough player for you? I know you said Austin won't be able to play outside but there's a difference between wasn't asked to and can't. He's thicker than DJ so maybe he'll be a little more durable.
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    5'9 WR can't play on the outside? They ALWAYS have to play inside? This guy begs to differ:
    Steve smith isn't comparable in any sort of way, and Desean got a different body type. He plays split end if i'm not mistaken. And Tavon hasn't faired when he did play outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    A big fat ugly cousin or a hot one?
    ... I would have put Beatrice, the "hoss" through a headboard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Let me get this straight....the biggest whiner any forum has ever seen, the one who wastes more bandwidth than anyone else is whining that people are talking about the NFL draft on the day of the draft?

So why open a thread that is clearly about the draft? Its not like when we have to read his nonsensical, redundant anti Rex posts in just about every and any thread...regardless of the subject.

There should be an idiots page, like there is a draft page, where certain peoples posts, threads etc can be dumped.
    ummm...like the JI Dump?

maybe people who abuse posting privs can be made to post directly to the Dump, thereby saving time for the mods.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Curious paradis, if YOU had to choose one, Tavon or cordarrelle. I know you're not high on the latter either. Is there any offensive skill player you'd want at 13?
    If I had to pick.... I dunno, I guess I'd take Patterson? Only cause we can afford the 2 years its going to take develop him, and his ceiling is very high. I like Kerley in the slot. ...Neither of them are worth not #13 though. no one is in this draft IMO. Allen/Hopkins are names i like if was a betting man.

Austin can help a team win now. He'll flash, and make highlight plays, but i don't think he'll ever "take over" a game. He's a role player - an elite one, but still a role player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    Not at all, whats wrong with more weapons?
    Nothing, but do we really need to draft another guy in that mold with a high pick?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So as I understand the OP:

If we take a QB... HORRIBLE

If we take an explosive playmaker... TERRIBLE

If we take a guard... HALLELUJAH

If we take a boom or bust pass rusher with all sorts of question marks... PRAISE THE LORD