Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: It Figures... 12 years waiting, and we take one that's 5'8, 175lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Last time I checked we drafted a 6'4, 4.3 forty freak last year. He showed the ability to get open at will and make big plays. He has a great head on his shoulders and is a hard worker. Are we really giving up on him? Hill showed me a lot last year.
    Don't you just love how Hill is being dismissed as worthless around here? I'm not ready to give up on him. Not yet. That doesn't mean I don't want them drafting a WR. Just not that early in the draft for Austin.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    austin is going to cause a ton of problems for defenses....had a ton of td's last year where defenders never even laid a hand on him...thats called seperation and speed!!! when was the last time we had someone with those talents???

austin with the 9

eifert with the 13.

olb/de in the 2nd

safety/oline help in 3rd or 4th 5th
    And his teammate, the WR on the other side, had twice as many TDs. I want that guy, who can be had probably in round 3.

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    If you ask me Warmack or Cooper with the first pick. A solid LONG term player who will give us years of play and who will make an immediate impact and start day one.
    Trade down with the TPA 13 if a suitor is available for more picks in the lower rounds and stock up.
    Warmack's at the true top end of this draft. If him, Milliner, Joeckel, or Jordan are available when Idzik picks, then they need to take him.

Well, maybe not Milliner. That would be a great opportunity for our new GM to show his guts and basically poker face somebody hungry for Milliner into trading up for a pick next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    And his teammate, the WR on the other side, had twice as many TDs. I want that guy, who can be had probably in round 3.
    (Chris Carter aside) WR TDs aren't typically a repeatable skill unless it's a result of some form of freakish athleticism (Moss, CJ). Too context dependent. How many times did Michael Irvin get the ball down to the 2 to see Emmitt punch it in? How many TDs did Chris Baker have that one year?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    (Chris Carter aside) WR TDs aren't typically a repeatable skill unless it's a result of some form of freakish athleticism (Moss, CJ). Too context dependent. How many times did Michael Irvin get the ball down to the 2 to see Emmitt punch it in? How many TDs did Chris Baker have that one year?
    Maybe you're right. But 12 in 2011 and 25 in 2012 isn't an accident. Bailey knows how to get open and find the endzone. It's not like he was catching everyone by surprise.

Guys like Heyward Bey and Arelius Benn have freakish athleticism but don't know how to play football. Couldn't score in college, couldn't score in the pros.

Bailey, to me, is just like Greg Jennings.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Maybe you're right. But 12 in 2011 and 25 in 2012 isn't an accident. Bailey knows how to get open and find the endzone. It's not like he was catching everyone by surprise.

Guys like Heyward Bey and Arelius Benn have freakish athleticism but don't know how to play football. Couldn't score in college, couldn't score in the pros.

Bailey, to me, is just like Greg Jennings.
    My point isn't that Bailey isn't a good WR - I don't know enough about him as a prospect to say - but that if he is, it isn't because of his TD stats. TDs for WRs are like Wins for starters or Saves for closers - a pretty stat that gets attention, but likely has little to nothing to do with underlying skill.

Hall Of Fame
    My point isn't that Bailey isn't a good WR - I don't know enough about him as a prospect to say - but that if he is, it isn't because of his TD stats. TDs for WRs are like Wins for starters or Saves for closers - a pretty stat that gets attention, but likely has little to nothing to do with underlying skill.
    I think it shows the limitations a 5-8 WR has in the redzone. Austin was by far more effective between the 20s and in space. Bailey, while not nearly as explosive, is a more polished, traditional WR.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 04-24-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Logically that makes sense. I think TDs are especially overrated because as an individual stat because they are so important in fantasy football.

That being said, I think college TDs do have some predictive value. They are one of the factors in Football Outsiders' Playmaker score for projecting college WRs, which isn't perfect (no projections are) but does a decent job.

Interesting, they give Bailey the highest rating this year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...ker-score-2013

Tavon Austin = Steve Smith

The Carolina Panthers Steve Smith not the JAG Giants WR who went to Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think it shows the limitations a 5-8 WR has in the redzone. Austin was by far more effective between the 20s and in space. Bailey, while not nearly as explosive, is a more polished, traditional WR.
    Possession WR's are HUGE in today's NFL where the rules are all about setting up vertical offenses. A good slot WR can run underneath in a drag or crossing pattern (the 2 safest throws in the NFL) while everyone else runs streaks or posts. That's why Wes Welker averages 100+ catches and 1,200+ yards every single season.

Austin won't be a game-breaking Randy Moss or Terrell Owens type of receiver but he will be a very productive slot receiver and yes that is worth a 1st round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Don't you just love how Hill is being dismissed as worthless around here? I'm not ready to give up on him. Not yet. That doesn't mean I don't want them drafting a WR. Just not that early in the draft for Austin.
    I like Hill and I am definitely not one of those Jets fans dismissing him just b/c he had one bad drop in the Pats game. He's going to be a player. That said there's nothing wrong with drafting Tavon Austin a great slot receiver. Kerley is currently the slot receiver but he is versatile enough to split wide.

All Pro
    tavon austin, will be hurt all the time.... i.e. desean jackson

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    did I miss the draft....is austin a jet ....I thought the draft was thursday lol......sheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I've been waiting 12 freaking years for this franchise to spend a 1st round pick on a WR. Santana bloody Moss (another skyscraper) was the last time we settled on truly reaching for an elite playmaker at wide out... And when do we decide to do it again?

Not on AJ Greene, or Julio Jones..

Not on Larry F, or Roddy White. Not even on Dez Bryant... Nope.

...I would have sold my soul on draft day for Crabtree. Would knocked up my own Cousin for Floyd last year... But the fateful year I've been waiting for was 2013. The year we finally take-- uhm Tavon??

That's right, Tavon "just call me Percy - only i'm not" Austin.... All 5 foot 8 and 175 pounds of him. Jesus Christ.

Let me be clear - Austin's not a bust. Nor is he going to suck in the NFL... but he's is NOT a blue chip WR. He'll always be a function of the offense he's playing in, and he'll always have to play inside. He's never, ever, ever going to be an X or Z wideout... He's always going to be a slot/role guy... and that's OK...

But that's not what I wanted to see the Jets spend their #9 pick AND That's not the kind of WR i wanted to see the Jets break the 1st round WR drought on...

JI has some absolutely INFLATED and exaggerated expectations about what Austin can do. Forget him spending half the time in the backfield. That's not going to happen in the NFL at his size. Forget him being mr. all purpose threat like Harvin. He's going to look more like McCluster than Harvin when it comes to executing those gimmick plays on Sunday. AKA getting his bell rung.

As long as you all are at peace with drafting a slot guy with speed, then it's all good. Just keep that in mind. Personally I'll be at peace with the pick 20 minutes after it's made, but I really hope this is all a game to get interest in our pick.

All i know is that Stephen Hill better have had installed a catch machine in every room of his apartment and put them on motion sensors so when he walks in the room, a football gets shot at him. Whoever we pick at WR if we do, can only become a threat if Hill steps up this season.

Gruden was talking up Austin big time last night. He said he is his favorite draftee this year and pointed to the fact he can line up all over at WR, RB, and KR/PR. Mentioned he carried the ball 70 times last year.

He should be a great player in space when healthy and help in the WCO and multiple phases.

I also like Patterson, Hunter, Hopkins. There is pretty good depth at WR.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Gruden was talking up Austin big time last night. He said he is his favorite draftee this year and pointed to the fact he can line up all over at WR, RB, and KR/PR. Mentioned he carried the ball 70 times last year.

He should be a great player in space when healthy and help in the WCO and multiple phases.

I just checked mock drafts updated today and most of them have Austin to the Jets at pick 9..

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Tavon Austin = Steve Smith

The Carolina Panthers Steve Smith not the JAG Giants WR who went to Philly.
    No he's not... Steve Smith is so amazingly physical where someone like Austin goes down to the simplest arm tackle.

I don't see great with Austin. I think he'll be decent for the simple reason that he's a deep threat, but the guy needs space. Every big play at WVU came from him having space, whether it be facing a lot of off man coverage or good play design. In the NFL, that space isn't there.

I don't see Austin touching pro bowl status and I wouldn't be happy with his pick.

And it sucks because every bit of information right now says that we love Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post

Austin can't play RB in the NFL. He simply can't get through tackles well enough. He's not a bull to bring down like Harvin and he's very soft at contact.

He's a fast guy who has solid hands. He doesn't have the biggest catch radius and that is also a problem.

And there is great depth at WR so I'm hopeful we wait. Quinton Patton is fantastic, same with Wheaton, Dobson, even Goodwin if you want speed.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    No he's not... Steve Smith is so amazingly physical where someone like Austin goes down to the simplest arm tackle.

I don't see great with Austin. I think he'll be decent for the simple reason that he's a deep threat, but the guy needs space. Every big play at WVU came from him having space, whether it be facing a lot of off man coverage or good play design. In the NFL, that space isn't there.

I don't see Austin touching pro bowl status and I wouldn't be happy with his pick.

And it sucks because every bit of information right now says that we love Austin.
    He will have nothing but space playing inside the slot.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Possession WR's are HUGE in today's NFL where the rules are all about setting up vertical offenses. A good slot WR can run underneath in a drag or crossing pattern (the 2 safest throws in the NFL) while everyone else runs streaks or posts. That's why Wes Welker averages 100+ catches and 1,200+ yards every single season.

Austin won't be a game-breaking Randy Moss or Terrell Owens type of receiver but he will be a very productive slot receiver and yes that is worth a 1st round pick.
    So you are saying Austin is a "possession" slot receiver?