Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: 13 Predictions Made On Earth day 1970

  1. #1

    13 Predictions Made On Earth day 1970

    http://www.freedomworks.org/blog/jon...earth-day-1970


    The 1970s were a lousy decade. Embarrassing movies, dreadful music and downright terrifying clothes reflected the national mood following an unpopular war, endless political scandals and a faltering economy.

    Popular culture was consumed with decline, especially Hollywood. The Omega Man, Soylent Green, Damnation Alley and countless other dystopian films showed a planet wrecked by war, pollution and neglect. In large part, the entertainment industry was reflecting the culture at large.

    In 1970, the first Earth Day was celebrated — okay, “celebrated” doesn’t capture the funereal tone of the event. The events (organized in part by then hippie and now convicted murderer Ira Einhorn) predicted death, destruction and disease unless we did exactly as progressives commanded.

    Behold the coming apocalypse as predicted on and around Earth Day, 1970:

    "Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind." — Harvard biologist George Wald

    "We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation." — Washington University biologist Barry Commoner

    "Man must stop pollution and conserve his resources, not merely to enhance existence but to save the race from intolerable deterioration and possible extinction." — New York Times editorial

    "Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make. The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years." — Stanford University biologist Paul Ehrlich

    "Most of the people who are going to die in the greatest cataclysm in the history of man have already been born… [By 1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s." — Paul Ehrlich

    "It is already too late to avoid mass starvation," — Denis Hayes, Chief organizer for Earth Day

    "Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions…. By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine." — North Texas State University professor Peter Gunter

    "In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution… by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half." — Life magazine

    "At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it's only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable." — Ecologist Kenneth Watt

    "Air pollution...is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone." — Paul Ehrlich

    "By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate… that there won't be any more crude oil. You'll drive up to the pump and say, ‘Fill 'er up, buddy,' and he'll say, ‘I am very sorry, there isn't any.'" — Ecologist Kenneth Watt

    "[One] theory assumes that the earth's cloud cover will continue to thicken as more dust, fumes, and water vapor are belched into the atmosphere by industrial smokestacks and jet planes. Screened from the sun's heat, the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born." — Newsweek magazine

    "The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age." — Kenneth Watt
    The chicken little left... if nothing more, they are a great source of entertainment.....

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,394
    The scary part is how many people fall for this ****. And its on-going. There's always some current emergency so dumasses can get their 15 mins of fame.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,401
    I would bet...federally funded research grants to these "impressive" universities.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    The scary part is how many people fall for this ****. And its on-going. There's always some current emergency so dumasses can get their 15 mins of fame.

    There's an endless supply of lemmings on the left.

    This board is testament to it....

  5. #5
    There was eight inches of snow on Earth Day 2013 in Mn. Must be Global Warming.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,241
    The best part is that the left is on the record saying that you should never waste a catastrophe and that if there isn't one make one yet people still believe.

  7. #7
    If you tell someone a lie often nough they wil beieve it. Its indoctrination not education!

  8. #8
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    8,096
    Yet the ever-growing list of leading scientists finally having the balls to categorize global warming as a crock...those are the ones that are blackballed, ostracized and defunded.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,925
    Some of these predictions are extreme, but it's worth noting that most of them are prefaced with some sort of "if" or "unless" condition.

    The facts are huge strides were made in air pollution regulation (cleaner air, less acid rain), CFC regulation (repaired ozone layer), and consolidated, streamlined, and federally subsidized agriculture and food supply (less world famine).

    Of course predictions from decades ago will be wrong when several significant variables were altered drastically after the fact.

  10. #10
    On the subject of making incorrect statements......

    “I have no skeletons in my closet.”
    —Sen. David Vitter, speaking to the Louisiana Family Forum during his 2004 Senate race. He won, but later confessed to frequenting prostitutes

    "We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease." ~ President George W. Bush

    "When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal." ~ Richard M. Nixon

    "Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas.'' ~ Rep. Michelle Bachmann

    ''I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970s that the swine flu broke out under another, then under another Democrat president, Jimmy Carter. I'm not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence.'' ~ Rep. Michele Bachmann

    "I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself." ~ Ronald Reagan

    "Trees cause more pollution than automobiles." ~ Ronald Reagan

    "You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test." ~ George W. Bush

  11. #11
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,503
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    On the subject of making incorrect statements......

    “I have no skeletons in my closet.”
    —Sen. David Vitter, speaking to the Louisiana Family Forum during his 2004 Senate race. He won, but later confessed to frequenting prostitutes

    "We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease." ~ President George W. Bush

    "When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal." ~ Richard M. Nixon

    "Carbon dioxide is portrayed as harmful. But there isn't even one study that can be produced that shows that carbon dioxide is a harmful gas.'' ~ Rep. Michelle Bachmann

    ''I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970s that the swine flu broke out under another, then under another Democrat president, Jimmy Carter. I'm not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence.'' ~ Rep. Michele Bachmann

    "I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself." ~ Ronald Reagan

    "Trees cause more pollution than automobiles." ~ Ronald Reagan

    "You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test." ~ George W. Bush
    You are a self-parody.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,557
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Some of these predictions are extreme, but it's worth noting that most of them are prefaced with some sort of "if" or "unless" condition.

    The facts are huge strides were made in air pollution regulation (cleaner air, less acid rain), CFC regulation (repaired ozone layer), and consolidated, streamlined, and federally subsidized agriculture and food supply (less world famine).

    Of course predictions from decades ago will be wrong when several significant variables were altered drastically after the fact.
    Don't selectively choose those variables, though. Those predictors also didn't know China and others would more than make up for all we do.
    Last edited by JetPotato; 04-30-2013 at 01:09 AM.

  13. #13
    "Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind." — Harvard biologist George Wald
    Pretty much spot on.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,925
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Don't selectively choose those variables, though. Those predictors also didn't know China and others would more than make up for all we do.
    Fair enough, but I'm assuming that industrial growth in undeveloped areas of the world was already being factored into some of the predictions.

    In any case, these types of outlandish, over the top predictions are a double edged sword. In one way, they actually influenced some positive change which made our planet cleaner and more habitable than the alternative. On the other hand, they were a huge disservice to the credibility of a scientific community with good intentions but a rather weak grasp of future conditions.

    Much like today.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Fair enough, but I'm assuming that industrial growth in undeveloped areas of the world was already being factored into some of the predictions.

    In any case, these types of outlandish, over the top predictions are a double edged sword. In one way, they actually influenced some positive change which made our planet cleaner and more habitable than the alternative. On the other hand, they were a huge disservice to the credibility of a scientific community with good intentions but a rather weak grasp of future conditions.

    Much like today.
    You hit the nail on the head. Everyone wants a cleaner environment but the people that fearmonger do a disservice to the credibility of the cause.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,787
    A country that makes everyone take their shoes off to get on planes after a "scare" but don't give a f*ck when they destroy the world around them?

    Lolz. Enjoy cancer.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,394
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    A country that makes everyone take their shoes off to get on planes after a "scare" but don't give a f*ck when they destroy the world around them?

    Lolz. Enjoy cancer.
    I have a better one:

    I get stopped about 3 times a month at the PATH "bag inspection station", while Middle Easterners walk right on by. Me - the Irish looking guy with a Jets jacket, and 51 yo.

    I'm thinking they pick people who won't have bombs, because if they checked people who might actually, the police would get hurt or there would be lots of paperwork.


  18. #18
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,208
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I have a better one:

    I get stopped about 3 times a month at the PATH "bag inspection station", while Middle Easterners walk right on by. Me - the Irish looking guy with a Jets jacket, and 51 yo.

    I'm thinking they pick people who won't have bombs, because if they checked people who might actually, the police would get hurt or there would be lots of paperwork.

    You get stopped 3x a month??? They must be doing a bang up job on the PATH. I've never been stopped on the subway. Ever.

  19. #19
    Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,295
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    A country that makes everyone take their shoes off to get on planes after a "scare" but don't give a f*ck when they destroy the world around them?

    Lolz. Enjoy cancer.
    You don't know how many times this scene comes to mind....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtbWWmtVYM

  20. #20
    Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,295
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I have a better one:

    I get stopped about 3 times a month at the PATH "bag inspection station", while Middle Easterners walk right on by. Me - the Irish looking guy with a Jets jacket, and 51 yo.

    I'm thinking they pick people who won't have bombs, because if they checked people who might actually, the police would get hurt or there would be lots of paperwork.

    I bet they're afraid of racial profiling. PC is going to get us K-I-L-L-E-D.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us