Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Phil Simms QB Evaluations

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Phil Simms QB Evaluations

    He looks at each player's talent irrespective of team and system run. He then gives his opinion based on his own eyes who he feels has the tools to be the best QB. His feeling is Glennon has the best chance to be great. He loves his height, arm, etc. Feels if he can be coached up a little he can be a really good QB.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you forget the link, or just making small talk today?

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,988
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea and the douche loved Mark Sanchez when he came out. **** him

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,649
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worst broadcaster. Him and Aikman. Add absolutely zilch to the game. Simms spouts cliches, every ref flag was a "good call", and after every unexpected play he claims he saw it coming. Can't stand him and don't care for his trite assessments.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually like Phil as a broadcaster but like many of you laugh when I hear Phil give his input on a qb. He described Sanchez as having the best footwork he had ever seen in a draft eligible qb ....

    It is up there with Jaws excitedly describing Kellen Clemens ... classic stuff


    I was skeptical about Glennon for months, however reading this has given me pause to re-think...

    http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/...outing-report/

    In summation

    "Statistically, you could make the case that Glennon is the most NFL ready quarterback. He threw the NFL route tree far more often than the other QBs and has done the more ‘difficult’ things in college. He definitely needs to be evaluated on things that I haven’t gone into detail on here. For instance, for all QBs I chose to ignore interceptions because of the limited sample size of them. However, you look at his three interceptions in the Music City Bowl and have to evaluate what happened there. I’m not saying Glennon will be better or worse than Smith or Barkley, but his play in college indicates that if all the other factors are correct, he has the experience and ability to translate his skills into an NFL offense quickly."

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    He looks at each player's talent irrespective of team and system run. He then gives his opinion based on his own eyes who he feels has the tools to be the best QB. His feeling is Glennon has the best chance to be great. He loves his height, arm, etc. Feels if he can be coached up a little he can be a really good QB.
    Coached up????? Glennon is a statue. they thought they could coach up Vlad too.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,765
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, i have to admit i believed some of the hype about clemens when jaworski championed him. haven't trusted him since.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    yeah, i have to admit i believed some of the hype about clemens when jaworski championed him. haven't trusted him since.
    Glennon is Clemens IMO.

    I am a wolfpack fan ...seen a lot of Glennon.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    He looks at each player's talent irrespective of team and system run. He then gives his opinion based on his own eyes who he feels has the tools to be the best QB. His feeling is Glennon has the best chance to be great. He loves his height, arm, etc. Feels if he can be coached up a little he can be a really good QB.
    So? If i gave you 5 logs of sh*t and say "pick the one that smells the best" - eventually you'll come up with an answer.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-24-2013 at 04:51 PM.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Glennon is Clemens IMO.

    I am a wolfpack fan ...seen a lot of Glennon.
    as long as they get 2 good guys in the first, then maybe throwing 2nd at a guy they like is ok. not thrilled with it tho. makes it easier if they trade back and get extra picks.

    i've read there's roughly 15 guys with a real first round grade. if the jets stay at 9 and 13 i expect idzik to take 2 of those guys regardless of position.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did Simms say how he felt about his son's would be playing in the NFL this year with the present crowd of QB's on the JETS this seaspn?

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    as long as they get 2 good guys in the first, then maybe throwing 2nd at a guy they like is ok. not thrilled with it tho. makes it easier if they trade back and get extra picks.

    i've read there's roughly 15 guys with a real first round grade. if the jets stay at 9 and 13 i expect idzik to take 2 of those guys regardless of position.
    Agreed.... I've heard a LOT of good things about the FSU B. Manuel????

    Big fast strong, like Cam Newton and Kapernick.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,383
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Yea and the douche loved Mark Sanchez when he came out. **** him
    A whole lot of people did so I guess anyone that liked him should not be listened to now. I don't think anyone had him rated out of the first round. Guess you're going to have to watch all the film yourself.

  14. #14
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    722
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed.... I've heard a LOT of good things about the FSU B. Manuel????

    Big fast strong, like Cam Newton and Kapernick.
    Not even close to either of those players. This is coming from a FSU student. He defiantly is not worth a 1st.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are nuts. Phil Simms is easily one of the better analysts in the mainstream sports media - maybe the best. He's level-headed, insightful and has plenty of knowledge. And even though he could be a Giants homer he's actually one of the more fair people in the media I've heard with regard to the Jets.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the link to the radio spot:

    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast...es&dcid=CBS.NY

  17. #17
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like
    You cant teach height. Height gives a QB an advantage. Is it a for sure advantage - No - but the possibility is there. Glennon could be special in a few years. Possibly. If hes available in round 3 then pick him up. If your in love with him he should be there in round 2 for sure.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,948
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    Did Simms say how he felt about his son's would be playing in the NFL this year with the present crowd of QB's on the JETS this seaspn?
    Just a thought but could you imagine if we picked up Montana's boy and both him and Simms kid made the team behind Garrard? lol Maybe we can get Joe to be the QB coach.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed.... I've heard a LOT of good things about the FSU B. Manuel????

    Big fast strong, like Cam Newton and Kapernick.
    Very true, but he may be more like Tennesse Titan QB McNair.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    If E.J. Manuel ends up being half the QB that Steve McNair was, I'd be shocked.

    An over-rated version of Cam Newton, with less speed, is more accurate - and Cam has not been that good thus far.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us