Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not build a super unit? O-Line or Front seven

Why not build a super unit? O-Line or Front seven

I think we are in a really unique position with these two first rounders.

We have a chance to build ELITE units, either on the offensive line or front seven.

Say we take Cooper and Warmack, or one of the guards and the highest ranked RT. With Brick and Mangold we would have a young elite oline for the next 5-7 years.

Or we can take Star + Mingo, and build a beastly front seven with Wik, Coples, Star, Mingo, Davis, and Harris.

Anyone tempted to do this?

Undrafted Free Agent
    i dont wanna put all my eggs in one basket

Undrafted Free Agent
    besides u can get a good RT in the 2nd round

Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic Bus View Post
    i dont wanna put all my eggs in one basket
    So you'd rather have eggs spread out across several baskets? Allowing you to make fried eggs for breakfast instead of an omelette?

Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic Bus View Post
    besides u can get a good RT in the 2nd round
    Like Vlad Ducasse right?

All Pro
    I don't hate the idea, but with the dearth of talent on this team right now I think we have to spread the wealth from this draft.

My ideal 1st round (other than trading down) would be an OL and an OLB. Strengthening the OL would help both the pass and run game, and a good pass rusher would help improve our secondary too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Like Vlad Ducasse right?
    somebody disagrees with you, and this is all you've got?

Super units are retarded for teams that have as many holes to fill as the Jets do.

I'd rather split the difference and take Star and one of the guards. That way you have upgraded both lines and have the new players to go with Wilkerson/Coples and Mangold/Dbrick. In the end I mostly want two long term really good players from those picks. I don't even really care if they are pro bowlers so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post

Super units are retarded for teams that have as many holes to fill as the Jets do.
    huh? his comment implied that equivalent OL can be found in the 2nd round. I brought up Duccasse to drive the point that later rounds picks are much bigger question marks.

Because the line's not bad even without Slauson. Get a QB at some point and get real with this stuff.

You either have a QB and an actual shot or you don't. OK, maybe a guard, and with how crap the top-end of the draft is, Warmack at 9 would be a coup. I think he's going to be a stud.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post

+1 different draft different GMs but chupa is still stuck in reverse

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'd rather split the difference and take Star and one of the guards. That way you have upgraded both lines and have the new players to go with Wilkerson/Coples and Mangold/Dbrick. In the end I mostly want two long term really good players from those picks. I don't even really care if they are pro bowlers so to speak.
    There you go, three first rounders on each line = two super units if they can live up to potential.

Where's Green Jets & Ham with the "Superunit Manifesto?"

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Where's Green Jets & Ham with the "Superunit Manifesto?"
    HOPEFULLY still locked up in Arkham Asylum

I was thinking of posting something like this myself...I am really liking both Warmack and Cooper more and more, assuming they'd both be available.

Our best shot to win is through a really effective run game. We've seen that with 2009 and 2010. I still think that principle holds.

Plus, if we still suck after this coming year, Sanchez will be gone and we will be drafting a new QB in 2014 that would then have the luxury of a great oline and run game. Basically, exactly how we took Sanchez, a crappy QB, to two AFC championships.

Hall Of Fame
    Go with the OL this year. Next year we might end up with Clowney. Coples...Ellis...Wilk...Clowney

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I don't hate the idea, but with the dearth of talent on this team right now I think we have to spread the wealth from this draft.

My ideal 1st round (other than trading down) would be an OL and an OLB. Strengthening the OL would help both the pass and run game, and a good pass rusher would help improve our secondary too.
    Yes, I would rather the Jets pick Mingo at 9

Trade down for a later first and second. Pick up Fluker and WR Nuke Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I think we are in a really unique position with these two first rounders.

We have a chance to build ELITE units, either on the offensive line or front seven.

Say we take Cooper and Warmack, or one of the guards and the highest ranked RT. With Brick and Mangold we would have a young elite oline for the next 5-7 years.

Or we can take Star + Mingo, and build a beastly front seven with Wik, Coples, Star, Mingo, Davis, and Harris.

Anyone tempted to do this?
    Assuming these are all BAP players at where we are picking, I would be fine with it. You can't always count fulfilling needs everywhere you pick. And often that results in reaching for someone. I don't want that. I want the team to be smart and let the talent come to them wherever and whenever they are picking.

Also, if that is the way it went with Mingo and Star? Rex would be on cloud nine. It would also be right up his alley. He could provide Dennis Thurman with a great cast of players to work with. Get him off on the right foot with minimal challenges. Assuming they stay healthy of course.

On offense, that would well establish our running game. It would give great pass protection for any young franchise QB we pick up in next years draft.

All in all, it sounds like a good idea. However, the ultimate determining factors always will be how the board falls.

Mingos waaaay too big of a risk at 9 (situational player without a ton of starts under his belt that ive seen really get pushed around out there, especially against the run. Dont like his build....too skinny for me, skinny little toothpick legs) . I dont like taking 2 O-linemen at 9 and 13. I really like what Idzik said about taking the best available player with our two first round round picks, as opposed to position specific needs. If Miliners there at 9 we have to take him. Then im on board with Warmack at 13

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by sash1 View Post
    Mingos waaaay too big of a risk at 9 (situational player without a ton of starts under his belt that ive seen really get pushed around out there, especially against the run. Dont like his build....too skinny for me, skinny little toothpick legs) . I dont like taking 2 O-linemen at 9 and 13. I really like what Idzik said about taking the best available player with our two first round round picks, as opposed to position specific needs. If Miliners there at 9 we have to take him. Then im on board with Warmack at 13
    i'll be ok with milliner but from wat im hearing he will slide out of top 10