Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Engagement Rings

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    an Irish guy you can trust
    harder to find than a unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I think it's legit. I got a good deal on a hernia surgery from someone in the Business Networking forum back in 2010.
    How much for a MENICUS?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Alright, so I get it, this isn't the place for this kind of advice...but I started thinking about it: there is a good cross section of socioeconomic status on here, all males (right?) and mostly guys older than me or around my age (27).

So, here it goes: Give me everything you know about engagement rings: best bets on where to buy, how to buy, how to get the most bang for your buck, around how much to spend (I know this is more case by case specific, but it's worth a shot), and any other advice you have for going out and making this kind of investment.

Thanks in advance. Let's see how this pans out, I am anticipating some fun banter. I am asking everyone I know for advice and suggestions and I figured my closest pals on JI would be good at weighing in on this sort of thing.
    Forget the ring...buy her a JETS jersey.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Forget the ring...buy her a JETS jersey.
    A diamond studded Frisbee - that's the ticket

Jets Insider VIP
    Its a waste to buy a flawless small diamond. Get between 1ct and 2ct, and once that has good color and clarity, and perfect with the naked eye.

I spent $3k in 1993; appraisal now is at $18k.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Its a waste to buy a flawless small diamond. Get between 1ct and 2ct, and once that has good color and clarity, and perfect with the naked eye.

I spent $3k in 1993; appraisal now is at $18k.
    Exactly... why pay a bundle for something your future wife is going to be wearing every day - its not an investment going into a safe somewhere. As long as it looks good to the naked eye, no one is going around with a loupe to check out any flaws.

Jets Insider VIP
    The shopping for the engagement ring. I remember it like it was yesterday. The 1st step towards the divorce. Enjoy my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    SAR will tell you how much the ring is per week.
    SAR leases all his jewelry.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    5. Get a platinum band but save money and get white gold for the setting (the metal stuff that connects the diamond to the band). If she asks just lie and tell her the entire band and setting is platinum.
    I don't get this one. Why wouldn't it be the opposite? Gold is softer than platinum. You're going to get the softest and cheapest metal to hold the diamond (setting) and the most expensive metal for the band? If anything, I've been told to make sure the setting (prongs) are platinum so that they don't bend and you lose the diamond.

I'm not sure what's right now so please elaborate.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    SAR leases all his jewelry.
    plus 5% discount when buying a matching Kenmore appliance

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman12 View Post
    Call me tomorrow 212-557-4888 ask for Alan
    Everyone call, in fact tell your friends

Hall Of Fame
    Wife's ring was $650 - mine was $90.

Been married twenty seven years, and if there's one thing I learned - who gives a s*** about the ring.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Go to Africa. Get a blood diamond. jk

Honestly, I think a Google search will bear more fruit than a thread on JI. But good luck, I hope she is worth it.

Four Cs. Cut, Carat, Clarity, Color.

Nothing is fruitier than a JI thread. Nothing.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I don't get this one. Why wouldn't it be the opposite? Gold is softer than platinum. You're going to get the softest and cheapest metal to hold the diamond (setting) and the most expensive metal for the band? If anything, I've been told to make sure the setting (prongs) are platinum so that they don't bend and you lose the diamond.

I'm not sure what's right now so please elaborate.
    Think of them as little cleats. What kind of cleats do you prefer gold or platinum?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    harder to find than a unicorn
    this guy is the real deal

they're always after his lucky charms

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Alright, so I get it, this isn't the place for this kind of advice...but I started thinking about it: there is a good cross section of socioeconomic status on here, all males (right?) and mostly guys older than me or around my age (27).

So, here it goes: Give me everything you know about engagement rings: best bets on where to buy, how to buy, how to get the most bang for your buck, around how much to spend (I know this is more case by case specific, but it's worth a shot), and any other advice you have for going out and making this kind of investment.

Thanks in advance. Let's see how this pans out, I am anticipating some fun banter. I am asking everyone I know for advice and suggestions and I figured my closest pals on JI would be good at weighing in on this sort of thing.
    Here, so some research. They have tools for beginners. Or did they say beginners are tools? I don't know, seriously check it out.

http://www.americangemsociety.org/

Ok, BACK TO THE DRAFT!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Wife's ring was $650 - mine was $90.

Been married twenty seven years, and if there's one thing I learned - who gives a s*** about the ring.
    Guess we know who wears the pants in this family. She is 7 times more important than you.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Guess we know who wears the pants in this family. She is 7 times more important than you.
    me - hampur

her- business networking forum

someone has to pay the electricity bill

All League
    This is fun...the diverse opinions, clowns and characters on here make starting threads like this so enjoyable...I think one person has provided a bit of valuable information and the rest provide the comic relief...keep it coming.

Where can I get a good cock ring? Any takers?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Quality not Quantity, they are not an investment. You give what you can afford. A friend of the family owns a store but I don't think your near him.
    My parents live in Mendham NJ and I am from out that way originally, I know that area like the back of my hand...what you got for me?