Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engagement Rings

All League

Engagement Rings

Alright, so I get it, this isn't the place for this kind of advice...but I started thinking about it: there is a good cross section of socioeconomic status on here, all males (right?) and mostly guys older than me or around my age (27).

So, here it goes: Give me everything you know about engagement rings: best bets on where to buy, how to buy, how to get the most bang for your buck, around how much to spend (I know this is more case by case specific, but it's worth a shot), and any other advice you have for going out and making this kind of investment.

Thanks in advance. Let's see how this pans out, I am anticipating some fun banter. I am asking everyone I know for advice and suggestions and I figured my closest pals on JI would be good at weighing in on this sort of thing.

Hall Of Fame
    Go to Africa. Get a blood diamond. jk

Honestly, I think a Google search will bear more fruit than a thread on JI. But good luck, I hope she is worth it.

Four Cs. Cut, Carat, Clarity, Color.

What a rip diamonds are. entire industry run by one company who has convinced the world they are rare.

I feel bad for young dudes who have to plunk down so much cash at the exact time they probably can't afford it.

I know that's no help.

Jets Insider VIP
    Just give her a torn menicus.

ask SAR.

he's JIs foremost expert on zirconias and other expensive-looking cheap stuff.

All League
    hahaha...keep it coming.

I could use the comic relief during this Google search.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    ask SAR.

he's JIs foremost expert on zirconias and other expensive-looking cheap stuff.
    SAR will tell you how much the ring is per week.

Veteran
    I think my husband bought mine at a jewelry store in a mall -- can't really remember. I didn't care how big it was and wasn't interested in him spending a lot of money. It really was the thought that counted to me.

But some of my more snooty co-workers made fun of the size of the diamond. My thought to them was "Argo **** yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    I think my husband bought mine at a jewelry store in a mall -- can't really remember. I didn't care how big it was and wasn't interested in him spending a lot of money. It really was the thought that counted to me.

But some of my more snooty co-workers made fun of the size of the diamond. My thought to them was "Argo **** yourself."
    This girl gets it.

Veteran
    Look on the tiffany website pick one uou like and have a jewler make the identical ring...spend 1/3 of the price.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Look on the tiffany website pick one uou like and have a jewler make the identical ring...spend 1/3 of the price
    I think the point of this thread is that he wants to spend 1/3 of the price the Jeweler would charge.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Alright, so I get it, this isn't the place for this kind of advice...but I started thinking about it: there is a good cross section of socioeconomic status on here, all males (right?) and mostly guys older than me or around my age (27).

So, here it goes: Give me everything you know about engagement rings: best bets on where to buy, how to buy, how to get the most bang for your buck, around how much to spend (I know this is more case by case specific, but it's worth a shot), and any other advice you have for going out and making this kind of investment.

Thanks in advance. Let's see how this pans out, I am anticipating some fun banter. I am asking everyone I know for advice and suggestions and I figured my closest pals on JI would be good at weighing in on this sort of thing.
    Quality not Quantity, they are not an investment. You give what you can afford. A friend of the family owns a store but I don't think your near him.

I used ExcelDiamonds.com back in 06, Was able to pick out diamonds I wanted to look at and made an apt. went into their office in the DD and picked out which one I wanted. I chose to go for clarity and color over carat. Money wise doesn't really matter if she's gonna throw a ***** about how much you spent on it then, me personally would rethink the whole thing. GL

All League
    Think ahead and Save your money for the impending divorce....

Hall Of Fame
    Take her to the mall and go ring shopping together. If she wants an expensive one you know she's a b*tch and c*** punt her out of your life.

Seriously, it's a good test.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Take her to the mall and go ring shopping together. If she wants an expensive one you know she's a b*tch and c*** punt her out of your life.

Seriously, it's a good test.
    This guy gets it

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by neevsmazda07 View Post
    This guy gets it
    I will third that remark!

Jets Insider VIP
    Buy the diamond and setting separately.

How far will you be sitting from the ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Buy the diamond and setting separately.
    And then save more by just super-glueing it on!