Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 101

Thread: Engagement Rings

  1. #21
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    676
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    ask SAR.


    he's JIs foremost expert on zirconias and other expensive-looking cheap stuff.

    Hahahahaha... nice.

  2. #22
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like
    PM me I can help you

  3. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    1,419
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with some of the posters here - diamonds are needlessly expensive - a cartel further supported by BS 'guidelines' about how much you should spend and all that crap.

    My advice: buy your diamond separately. You can get very nice diamonds on the cut/clarity/color scale that may have an occlusion in them (a little bit of non-diamond material) - but they are lovely diamonds.

    Even looking at a pile of them - you'll see that some have the 'it' factor - totally apart from pure ratings. And - honestly - that bit of sparkle, shine or whatever is what your wife is going to notice mostly.

    Secondly, be careful what setting you get - you want the setting to work with the diamond because if it blocks too much light at the wrong angles the diamond can end up looking duller than you'd figure.

    I did all the above on 47th street in Manhattan. Yes - those small shops - you can find some straight-shooters and end up getting a good price when all is said and done.

    Thirdly - very important - don't F around: if you get the ring and setting, it should already come with an appraisal - MAKE SURE YOU ADD IT TO YOUR INSURANCE POLICY!!

  4. #24
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like
    Call me tomorrow 212-557-4888 ask for Alan

  5. #25
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman12 View Post
    Call me tomorrow 212-557-4888 ask for Alan
    It's







    a














    TRAP!

  6. #26
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL seriously. I have been on the site for a long time but I do not post much.

    I run an estate buying company Andrew and Peter Fabrikant.
    Fabrikant Fine Diamonds
    555 5th Avenue 8th Floor
    Fabon5th.com
    We don't usually sell to the public but I could help out of fellow Jet Fan

    Call me and I can guide you on what to do

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Buy the diamond and setting separately.
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    I agree with some of the posters here - diamonds are needlessly expensive - a cartel further supported by BS 'guidelines' about how much you should spend and all that crap.

    My advice: buy your diamond separately. You can get very nice diamonds on the cut/clarity/color scale that may have an occlusion in them (a little bit of non-diamond material) - but they are lovely diamonds.

    Even looking at a pile of them - you'll see that some have the 'it' factor - totally apart from pure ratings. And - honestly - that bit of sparkle, shine or whatever is what your wife is going to notice mostly.

    Secondly, be careful what setting you get - you want the setting to work with the diamond because if it blocks too much light at the wrong angles the diamond can end up looking duller than you'd figure.

    I did all the above on 47th street in Manhattan. Yes - those small shops - you can find some straight-shooters and end up getting a good price when all is said and done.

    Thirdly - very important - don't F around: if you get the ring and setting, it should already come with an appraisal - MAKE SURE YOU ADD IT TO YOUR INSURANCE POLICY!!
    Nailed it.

    I was lucky enough to know a retired jeweler. He went to manhattan and got the stone and the setting. Only overhead I paid was his transportation to and fro.

    Don't buy at the mall, and avoid jewelry stores if possible. A third of their price is overhead. You can get an extra third in carat by buying the stone wholesale.

  8. #28
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,751
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    It's


    a


    TRAP!
    I think it's legit. I got a good deal on a hernia surgery from someone in the Business Networking forum back in 2010.

  9. #29
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its legit I know guys like to have fun on the website and thats why I come on it. If I can help the OP out I will. Any fellow Jet Fans with anything they need Check out the website.
    Last edited by Jetman12; 04-24-2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman12 View Post
    LOL seriously. I have been on the site for a long time but I do not post much.

    I run an estate buying company Andrew and Peter Fabrikant.
    Fabrikant Fine Diamonds
    555 5th Avenue 8th Floor
    Fabon5th.com
    We don't usually sell to the public but I could help out of fellow Jet Fan

    Call me and I can guide you on what to do
    if this isn't ghey code I don't know what is

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    great midwest -well not so great
    Posts
    8,841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    if this isn't ghey code I don't know what is
    I have hornets, can you help me?

  12. #32
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny stuff. I guess I should have said help you with anything jewelry related

  13. #33
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Hampur.

    Come for advice.

    Stay for the laughs.

  14. #34
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like
    and I do. There are some very witty and funny guys on here. After being a Jet fan for so long, you have to have a good sense of humor or you would go crazy

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Alright, so I get it, this isn't the place for this kind of advice...but I started thinking about it: there is a good cross section of socioeconomic status on here, all males (right?) and mostly guys older than me or around my age (27).

    So, here it goes: Give me everything you know about engagement rings: best bets on where to buy, how to buy, how to get the most bang for your buck, around how much to spend (I know this is more case by case specific, but it's worth a shot), and any other advice you have for going out and making this kind of investment.

    Thanks in advance. Let's see how this pans out, I am anticipating some fun banter. I am asking everyone I know for advice and suggestions and I figured my closest pals on JI would be good at weighing in on this sort of thing.
    1. Stay away from NY's diamond district. They overcharge and Manhattan has plenty of millionaires so if the jeweler can't sell you a ring with a small, flawed diamond at 30% above market they can wait 5 minutes for some rich yuppie to come in and overpay.

    2. Try buying the stone, setting and band separately. If you buy the ring all together assembled at once there may be a part of it your woman does not like and then you're up sh*ts creek. Bluenile.com is a good site and you can really hardball the guys over the phone they will even call you back with lower counteroffers.

    3. Try Philly's diamond district. Same wide selection as NYC at a significantly lower price. Another good place to look is Jared Galleria chain stores but try South Jersey or another state (basically anywhere in Elvis country where nobody else has money).

    4. Always ask for the diamond's BIA certificate and study for what flaws and cracks to look for. Don't be too picky though the bigger the diamond the better even with flaws. A girl is going to always prefer a 2.5 carat diamond with flaws over a flawless 1 carat. Bigger the better.

    5. Get a platinum band but save money and get white gold for the setting (the metal stuff that connects the diamond to the band). If she asks just lie and tell her the entire band and setting is platinum.

    6. Another way to save money is to use cubic zirconium for the settings. It works especially for pave and cubitz. Only thing that needs to be real is the actual diamond itself. Lie if she ever asks you and then if she ever finds years down the road out the setting is made of CZ just play dumb. You'll save about $1-2 thousand dollars.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 04-24-2013 at 11:04 PM.

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I think it's legit. I got a good deal on a hernia surgery from someone in the Business Networking forum back in 2010.
    LOL

  17. #37
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    47th street is the place

    I will double check the details but IIRC I got my wife a lovely engagement/wedding ring set from

    J. O' Neill
    (212) 819-0625
    48 W 48th St #1411
    New York NY 10036

    an Irish guy you can trust

    Pig N Whistle is nearby, keep walking unless somehow you want to meet more Irish

    http://www.texavery.com/sounds/shilaley.wav

  18. #38
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Normally, as a member of the tribe, I'd have a family member to recommend but no longer.

    I thimk both jetman and jungle jet provide legit optii.ons

    Avooid. SaR unless ypu want to lease one from Sears

  19. #39
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Alright, so I get it, this isn't the place for this kind of advice...but I started thinking about it: there is a good cross section of socioeconomic status on here, all males (right?) and mostly guys older than me or around my age (27).

    So, here it goes: Give me everything you know about engagement rings: best bets on where to buy, how to buy, how to get the most bang for your buck, around how much to spend (I know this is more case by case specific, but it's worth a shot), and any other advice you have for going out and making this kind of investment.

    Thanks in advance. Let's see how this pans out, I am anticipating some fun banter. I am asking everyone I know for advice and suggestions and I figured my closest pals on JI would be good at weighing in on this sort of thing.
    As usual, lots of bad advice and people looking in the wrong place for the answer.

    There are 3 engagement rings available to you for free if you know where to look and how to play their owners. I'll give you a hint:

    All 3 rings were at your first birthday party.

    SAR I

  20. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    1. Stay away from NY's diamond district. They overcharge and Manhattan has plenty of millionaires so if the jeweler can't sell you a ring with a small, flawed diamond at 30% above market they can wait 5 minutes for some rich yuppie to come in and overpay.

    2. Try buying the stone, setting and band separately. If you buy the ring all together assembled at once there may be a part of it your woman does not like and then you're up sh*ts creek. Bluenile.com is a good site and you can really hardball the guys over the phone they will even call you back with lower counteroffers.

    3. Try Philly's diamond district. Same wide selection as NYC at a significantly lower price. Another good place to look is Jared Galleria chain stores but try South Jersey or another state (basically anywhere in Elvis country where nobody else has money).

    4. Always ask for the diamond's BIA certificate and study for what flaws and cracks to look for. Don't be too picky though the bigger the diamond the better even with flaws. A girl is going to always prefer a 2.5 carat diamond with flaws over a flawless 1 carat. Bigger the better.

    5. Get a platinum band but save money and get white gold for the setting (the metal stuff that connects the diamond to the band). If she asks just lie and tell her the entire band and setting is platinum.

    6. Another way to save money is to use cubic zirconium for the settings. It works especially for pave and cubitz. Only thing that needs to be real is the actual diamond itself. Lie if she ever asks you and then if she ever finds years down the road out the setting is made of CZ just play dumb. You'll save about $1-2 thousand dollars.
    Pay particular attention to point #5. Lying early and often is the foundation of a long successful marriage.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us