Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ***Mike Mayock Draft Special 8PM NFL Network***

All League
    Not really a fan of Eifert at 13 but in his mock I suppose its a decent option.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Mayock made it work with only 1 QB going in the top 8. Its possible that Geno AND Nassib go in top 8, in which case the chances go up.

But I would still bet that Jordan is off the board before the Jets pick
    I agree, probably not likely. A QB going in the top 8 really helps. I could honestly see it happening without a QB going(that would be much less likely though)

1. Fisher
    2. Joeckel
    3. Floyd
    4. Johnson(or Mingo if they are supposedly high on him)
    5. Ansah(This one is where I would think is a toss up, but Lions seem to like Ansah, may be a better 4-3 DE fit)
    6. Millner(Here is another potential landing spot in Jordan's decent. Could also be a trade candidate for Austin, or one of the Guards, Mingo would also be a possibility, never know who loves who)
    7. Cooper/Warmack
    8. Warmack/Cooper

Obviously there are a few slots there that it might be a mild surprising pick, but this draft is about as wide open in the top 10 as I can recall. Really fun build up so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Being quite the Jets Draft historian, I am REALLY skeptical of drafting a TE in the first round at #13.

Can someone please explain to me what makes Eifert (6'5" 250 lbs) so special?

The benchmark nowadays is Gronk - 6'6" 265 lbs. or Jimmy Graham - 6'7" 265

BOTH those studs were taken in round 2 and 3, respectively.

What justifies Eifert as a top 15 pick?
    Agreed. I also think cumberland is more than capable. I'd rather get a guy like McDonald or Sims later on. If we get Jordan and Austin that's a coup by Idzik.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Agreed. I also think cumberland is more than capable. I'd rather get a guy like McDonald or Sims later on. If we get Jordan and Austin that's a coup by Idzik.
    me too. I am a novice but I would like a more experienced poster to tell me why we need a TE in round one when we need OLINE, LB, DE etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Being quite the Jets Draft historian, I am REALLY skeptical of drafting a TE in the first round at #13.

Can someone please explain to me what makes Eifert (6'5" 250 lbs) so special?

The benchmark nowadays is Gronk - 6'6" 265 lbs. or Jimmy Graham - 6'7" 265

BOTH those studs were taken in round 2 and 3, respectively.

What justifies Eifert as a top 15 pick?
    Honestly? The lack of high profile wide receivers and running backs makes this one of the most exciting skill position players in the draft. I agree with you though. I would be sick if we picked eifert.

dont love the TE pick at 13 would really like to trade this pick , get the extra picks since we have so many holes.

Hall Of Fame
    Sign me up. We can always draft Earl Watford later on in the draft. Good value at Guard IMO.

What exactly is cumberland capable of?

He is one of the worst blocking TEs in the entire league and is not a great receiver?

I dont necessarily want a TE at 13 as I think there are better values later in the draft, but we absolutely need one as cumberland is a 3rd TE at best.

Gronk and Graham wouldn't be 2nd or 3rd round picks in 2013. TEs are more valuable now than they used to be.

All League
    Don't get me wrong I don't think Cumberland is bad. The problem is, you want capable players when there are others to build around. This offense doesn't have that. Eiffert would be a rock in this offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

The Jordan at 9 & Austin at 13 is the winner don't trade down for extra picks

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    What exactly is cumberland capable of?

He is one of the worst blocking TEs in the entire league and is not a great receiver?

I dont necessarily want a TE at 13 as I think there are better values later in the draft, but we absolutely need one as cumberland is a 3rd TE at best.
    Agree with this for the most part. The narrative that some on here have that Cumberland is even somewhat passable is quite funny. Guy can't catch, can't block, and has had multiple injuries.

I think we 100% need to get one of the following: Eifert, Ertz, Escobar, Reed.

Veteran
    +1 all around. Austin would be a much bigger difference maker in the WCO than a TE - as good as Eifert might be.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    No way I would draft a TE in the 1st round, totally unnecessary and a waste of a high 1st round pick.

Honestly, assuming we stay put, I would take the 2 best O-Lineman available at 9 & 13 - whoever they are.

This O-line has been lacking quality depth for a long time (this has been my biggest complaint for the last 2 off-seasons) and it has contributed, at least to some degree, to Mark Sanchez's regression and the offenses lack of production as a whole.

This is a good draft to fix that problem and it will only help whoever the Jets QB is in the future - not to mention the production of the running game.

If we left the 1st round with two quality, starting caliber O-lineman, I'd call the 1st round a big success and the Jets offense would instantly become better.

I know as usual, my opinion is not very popular - but it makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 04-24-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    The Jordan at 9 & Austin at 13 is the winner don't trade down for extra picks
    Jordan won't be available. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    No way I would draft a TE in the 1st round, totally unnecessary and a waste of a high 1st round pick.

Honestly, assuming we stay put, I would take the 2 best O-Lineman available at 9 & 13 - whoever they are.

This O-line has been lacking quality depth for a long time (this has been my biggest complaint for the last 2 off-seasons) and it has contributed, at least to some degree, to Mark Sanchez's regression and the offenses lack of production as a whole.

This is a good draft to fix that problem and it will only help whoever the Jets QB is in the future - not to mention the production of the running game.

If we left the 1st round with two quality, starting caliber O-lineman, I'd call the 1st round a big success and the Jets offense would instantly become better.

I know as usual, my opinion is not very popular - but it makes perfect sense.
    The last time we drafted two OL in the 1st round (Brick and Mangold), the Jets fans were ecstatic. I will always remember the guy at the draft on camera pointing to his head implying "smart move". (Or maybe that was a gun to the head...j/k)

All League
    Jordan and Eifert.....2 of DBAKES "great 8"!!!!!

Best mock I have seen to date!!!!

Please be true!!!!!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Sign me up. We can always draft Earl Watford later on in the draft. Good value at Guard IMO.
    His agents are Feinsod & Schwartz - STAY AWAY!!!

If I had the #1 pick in the draft and I was the Jets, I'd think very hard about picking Dion Jordan. He's exactly the kind of player the Jets have been missing ever since they traded John Abraham. Someone who will get the QB. To get him at #9 would be a dream.

As far as Eifert goes, I'm OK with that. We need weapons and to create mismatches. Eifert does that in a lot of ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    The last time we drafted two OL in the 1st round (Brick and Mangold), the Jets fans were ecstatic. I will always remember the guy at the draft on camera pointing to his head implying "smart move". (Or maybe that was a gun to the head...j/k)
    Yep and the Jets went from a losing record to 10-6 that season & making the playoffs and I could see them doing the same thing this year if they make the right moves in the draft and I think that starts with drafting 2 quality O-Lineman in the first round.