Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article on Idzik's drafting style

Article on Idzik's drafting style

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...y-edition.html

*If you want to get a sense of what the Jets will do in the draft, take a look at what the old Bucs did under former general manager Rich McKay. New Jets GM John Idzik was the cap manager of those teams and worked for McKay alongside future GMs Jerry Angelo, Tim Ruskell, Ruston Webster and Mark Dominik. He also sat in on all the draft and scouting meetings. People close to him say his style is similar to McKay’s. If that’s the case, look for the Jets to invest heavily on defense (remember Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, Ronde Barber?). McKay was a proponent of drafting defensive linemen and wide receivers early, and believed offensive linemen could be had in the middle rounds

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post

*If you want to get a sense of what the Jets will do in the draft, take a look at what the old Bucs did under former general manager Rich McKay. New Jets GM John Idzik was the cap manager of those teams and worked for McKay alongside future GMs Jerry Angelo, Tim Ruskell, Ruston Webster and Mark Dominik. He also sat in on all the draft and scouting meetings. People close to him say his style is similar to McKay’s. If that’s the case, look for the Jets to invest heavily on defense (remember Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, Ronde Barber?). McKay was a proponent of drafting defensive linemen and wide receivers early, and believed offensive linemen could be had in the middle rounds
    Jordan and Austin it is

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post

Bill Polian has been saying the same thing on ESPN the past few weeks.

Is it me or does it seem like O-lineman switch teams during they're careers the most. Almost seems like a waste of a top 10 pick if they're gone in a few years.
    I'm sure the Dolphins are kicking themselves for selecting Jake Long #1, could've had Matt Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post

Is it me or does it seem like O-lineman switch teams during they're careers the most. Almost seems like a waste of a top 10 pick if they're gone in a few years.
    I'm sure the Dolphins are kicking themselves for selecting Jake Long #1, could've had Matt Ryan
    Interesting. Good post.

if this is true, i'm guessing at least one of jordan, mingo and anzah will be there at 9. if the bills actually take austin, i wonder if the jets would go eifert at 13 or look to deal back.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Another theory out there is the safest picks are almost always O-Linemen.

Idzik is a new GM with a ton of pressure hanging over him to turn around the "circus" like atmosphere of the Jets. Add to that the intense pressure he is already feeling from the NY media to not "blow" these two picks in light of the Revis trade just adds to the possibility that Idzik is better off playing it safe.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if we see tonight something like

best remaining OT at 9
    Cooper/Warmack at 13

The elite ones don't bounce around too much. As jets fans we should be familiar with guys like Mangold and Dbrick.

It's guys like Brandon MOore and Slausson that bounce around the most. But Warmack and Cooper (like Dbrick and Mangold) will not be replaced as easily.

Sure, taking JAke Long before Matt Ryan looks stupid. But what about Blane Gabbert going 1 pick ahead of JJ Watt? Want an OL example, what about taking Sam Bradford before both Russell Okung and Trent Williams?

The fact is that whenever a QB turns out to be elite every team that passed on that QB (whether they took a T/G/RB/WR/CB) will regret passing up on the franchise QB.

All League
    Tackles are worth drafting early, but Guards are absolutely not. Never have been, and never will. When you have a chance to take a Dynamic player in the top half of the 1st round, you go for it. Let's hope Idzik feels the same way.

i dont get all the jake long love to me he was just above avg at most everytime i saw him play first pick in the draft on a bad team mercy pro bowls thats why the fins dumped him

Quote Originally Posted by joe810 View Post
    i dont get all the jake long love to me he was just above avg at most everytime i saw him play first pick in the draft on a bad team mercy pro bowls thats why the fins dumped him
    also has back or shoulder issues, right?

Jets could pick Chance at #9 and I'd be cool with it. However, there are some quality guards to be had in the 3rd round.

I can't help but to think Jets go OLB, OG, SAF, TE in their first 4 picks (what order remains to be seen). It would be great if they could trade back and get OLB, OG, SAF, TE, WR, QB in the first 4 rounds. Then we could potentially get Ivory with the 5th and take BPA in 6th and 7th.

I hope any good Gm is fluid in his thinking, changing with the times as the game changes and changing his philosophy depending on the type of draft. No hard and fast rules at all, not a one.

Good thread. I agree OG would be a reach at our picks in the 1st. Good teams prioritize QB, LT, DE/OLB, CB, and WR. With Brick, Cro, and the lack of top flight QBs in this draft we need to prioritize rush OLB and offensive playmaker.

However, I'd be ok with BPA even if it was OL, S, or CB and wouldn't complain I would be ok with any of the following with our first 3 picks: Fluker/Warmack/Cooper, Jordan/Jones/Mingo/Moore, Austin/Patterson/Hunter/Hopkins, Vacarro/Reid/Hayden.

I don't know what he's gonna do but I love what I hear so far. When the hell was the last time we heard the GM specifically say we'll try to trade down and not even mention moving up??

I really think we're gonna come away with some good players today and have ourselves set up nicely for round 2.

I don't really think he has one, will depend on who is on the board when we pick. He said he's not going to rule out any position. He knows where the team is weakest (QB, G, DE/OLB, TE) and I'm sure he's done his homework on the prospects. No matter what he does there will be a contingent of the fanbase that will be enraged and a contingent that will be happy. Truth is until these guys get on the field we won't know. The only thing that would really sadden me as a fan who looks forward to the football season would be if we go into this season with Sanchez, Garrard, and McElroy as the depth chart at QB. I think Idzik would have let Rex and the fanbase down bigtime if he allows that to happen. And maybe he doesn't care because he didn't have to sit through years of Sanchez's garbage and he can tolerate the one season.

Wasn't Idzik also significantly involved in Seattle's drafts the past couple of years? They had a tendancy to take OLineman early. I'm not sure anyone knows what his strategy is.

Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    Wasn't Idzik also significantly involved in Seattle's drafts the past couple of years? They had a tendancy to take OLineman early. I'm not sure anyone knows what his strategy is.
    Hopefully he doesn't have a "strategy" or "preference" and just takes the best player available at each pick. My guess is THAT Is how he will operate.

If Calvin Johnson is available you take him.
    If ADrian Peterson if available you take him
    If Dbrick is there you take him
    If Revis is there you take him
    If Demarcus Ware is there you take him etc..

Sticking to a stubborn old school philosophy is not a good idea in the NFL. Times change. There was a time, not so long ago, when mobile QBs were frowned upon.

Are the Jets disappointed after taking spending two first round picks on offensive linemen in the same draft? D'brickasha Ferguson and Nick Mangold.

If we don't draft Ertz, I will be pissed.

Anyone else wish round 1 AND 2 were on same night??