Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drew Brees said ivory traded to the jets

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. it's Steiny. This is not fact by any means. Let us not forget how he and his "mentor" Brian Bassett "Broke" the news of Tom Gambles hiring. They take other leaks that actual journalists (Manish, Coz, Orr, Cimini) actually report, and just accelerate them and guess. Please don't assume this is even the slightest bit true.

Edit: while what I just said above still stands, i just realized there is literally a video of Brees saying this. Different story, but still not 100%.
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 04-25-2013 at 01:01 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Ok. it's Steiny. This is not fact by any means. Let us not forget how he and his "mentor" Brian Bassett "Broke" the news of Tom Gambles hiring. They take other leaks that actual journalists (Manish, Coz, Orr, Cimini) actually report, and just accelerate them and guess. Please don't assume this is even the slightest bit true.

Edit: while what I just said above still stands, i just realized there is literally a video of Brees saying this. Different story, but still not 100%.
    The only doubt to credibility is that you mentioned Mehta as an ACTUAL journalist as opposed to a tabloid fodder feeder

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    The only doubt to credibility is that you mentioned Mehta as an ACTUAL journalist as opposed to a tabloid fodder feeder
    You guys on this message board all say this... he is a legit journalist. He writes for one of the most read newspapers in the country. He reports what he hears. It's a job. He's been right 99% of the time with his reporting. Excuse me if I'm being defensive of him, but as a journalism major in school right now, I can appreciate and identify legit writers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys on this message board all say this... he is a legit journalist. He writes for one of the most read newspapers in the country. He reports what he hears. It's a job. He's been right 99% of the time with his reporting. Excuse me if I'm being defensive of him, but as a journalism major in school right now, I can appreciate and identify legit writers.
    He is a legit gossip columnist. He singlehandedly saved Cimini's professional existence ... like an average looking girl in a bar full of ugly chicks ... Cimini looks like a Pulitzer possibility.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 04-25-2013 at 02:28 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Not in my eyes. I dunno, I got to give Mcknight the edge not only as a RB, but when you add his KR to the mix, he seems more valuable than Powell to me.
    +1 Mc Knight is a far more explosive player to me and above average KR skills

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, for starters being widely read doesn't make a paper legit. There are endless examples of this in your field.
    Mehta was certainly respected when he wrote for the Star Ledger, then decided to go with the rags and has been criticized ever since.

Second, I'm not really sure about this 99% business, if he was only wrong 1% of the time, I doubt there'd be such disgust with the guy. Like I said he was respected when he wrote previously in Newark. So what happened?

Last, the Daily News is the first successful tabloid newspaper in this history of this country, if you didn't know. They're the Henry Ford of printed bullsh*t. If only it were double ply.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has the smell of a trade agreed in principle, with the deal to be finalised during the draft assuming nothing unexpected happens - like, for example, Christine Michael still being on the board when the agreed pick rolls around.

My guess - it happens in the 5th round. I also think this is part of the reason Idzik was so eager to try to gain TB's 5th rounder in the Revis deal. Shame that didn't happen, but a 5th for Ivory would still be pretty reasonable IMHO.
    Last edited by mrcoops; 04-25-2013 at 05:02 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    If we draft Austin, McKnight should start packing his bags for sure
    If we draft Austin I'll pack my bags, we don't need a WR without a QB, until we get one get us a pass rusher and an O lineman.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKnight sucks and I think this move pretty much indicates that the Jets FO feels the same way.

He was drafted to be a RB, something he's fallen well short of. He even got beaten out in a straight up competition for the 2nd running back spot with Bilal Powell last training camp.

If we have any sort of competence out of our new ST coach, we could easily get a returner that is just as good.

Why everyone loves this guy so much I will never know.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vinniekt View Post
    If we draft Austin I'll pack my bags, we don't need a WR without a QB, until we get one get us a pass rusher and an O lineman.
    I can't agree - you don't pass on an elite player (assuming the Jets think Austin is an elite player) just because you need other players at other positions.

If Austin is the best guy on the Jets' board, they should pick him. Then, once we find our QB (be it this year, next year or whenever) they will have a top-quality weapon to throw to.

WR is a position that often takes some time to adjust to in the pros - why not get a great talent and polish him for a year or so as a long-term asset for your next QB?

Take the best player on your board - always.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    as a journalism major in school right now, I can appreciate and identify legit writers.
    Ha ha that made me chuckle.

No disrespect intended but being a journalism major in school qualifies you for nothing.

These young guys....hahaha....

Damn....I sound like my dad.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Ha ha that made me chuckle.

No disrespect intended but being a journalism major in school qualifies you for nothing.

These young guys....hahaha....

Damn....I sound like my dad.
    LOL +1

The younger generation is arrogant and has no respect

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    LOL +1

The younger generation is arrogant and has no respect
    Devil's advocate - could this comment not be viewed by the younger generation (to which, sadly, I can no longer claim to belong) as somewhat arrogant and lacking in respect?

Respect is a two-way street, IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

This isn't the first time you've been defensive of Mehta, and sometime pretty vehemently... Are you him?

And what video? Link? Or have you just been assured there is a link by anonymous sources?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Not in my eyes. I dunno, I got to give Mcknight the edge not only as a RB, but when you add his KR to the mix, he seems more valuable than Powell to me.

I agree - McKnight is more valuable to us on Special Teams. So i think that is his edge to staying. But if he doesn't produce more and improve he could be let go.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post

He would have nailed the comma after intended.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    McKnight = safety depth, special teams.

This roster can hardly afford to just start cutting guys... LOL wtf are you thinking?
    Don't discount this. Rex has talked about McKnight being more than capable of playing DB many times. Maybe they switch his position for good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djaparz View Post
    I agree - McKnight is more valuable to us on Special Teams. So i think that is his edge to staying. But if he doesn't produce more and improve he could be let go.
    He had the longest running play of all the backs last season 61 yds..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    This isn't the first time you've been defensive of Mehta, and sometime pretty vehemently... Are you him?

And what video? Link? Or have you just been assured there is a link by anonymous sources?
    Video's linked to on Steiny's page.

People don't like Mehta because he publicized the split locker room last year. It was happening, and he reported it. Not sure what else you want from a reporter.