Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Mehta Article

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mehta Article


  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    Picking a QB in the 1st round is a sure way of getting Rex fired at the end of the year and will st this franchise back 4 years.

    I think Rex is a gonner regardless who we pick but taking a QB in the 1st will guarantee it.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post the full article so people don't have to click the link and give page hits to that little man.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,181
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Post the full article so people don't have to click the link and give page hits to that little man.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,558
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like Mehta I believe he has an agenda against the Jets, he is self promoter and watch that he will end up writing a book about the jets.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,749
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is not picking the players + Idzik is not stupid = low chance of taking a QB in the 1st round.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we don't end up with Manuel and he ends up being a top 10 QB elsewhere (as I believe he will) this draft is going to really hurt.

    I could care less about the reasoning, you don't win in the NFL without a QB and Manuel is going to be a good QB. And I could care less if we traded UP for the guy. You don't win wihtout a QB. It's been proven over the last decade and a half. The rules have changed the game.

  8. #8
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like
    n
    Quote Originally Posted by djaparz View Post
    mehta is a big time DBAG rex stays if he wins regaurdless who the qb is and saying the jets got into the playoffs on the colts generosity just burns my ass. what happens if peyton plays the whole game and gets hurt and the colts never win the sb that year and jets beat the colts in the afc championship game and we win the superbowl. oh or the colts can sit the best player of all time and lose to the jets and then have to come back in the second half after the jets lose a rb and cb to injuries and then jets get to watch drew coleman get beat like a drum and greene holding his ribs on the sidelines and the colts go on to win the superbowl oh what might have been fu mehta get your head out of your ass for once please

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody Johnson and John Idzik have marginalized Rex Ryan this offseason, turning the once brash head coach into a muted version of his former self.
    The Jets’ owner and new general manager maintain that every offseason move has been a “Jet decision,” which apparently requires only two-thirds approval to pass.
    Nobody believes that Ryan endorsed the Darrelle Revis trade to the Buccaneers over the weekend, no matter how hard the coach tried to justify it with a disjointed explanation on Sunday night.
    Ryan, more savvy than stupid, has one life raft to help extend his tenure with the Jets beyond 2013: He should try to convince his bosses that Gang Green must draft a quarterback with one of the team’s two first-round picks (Nos. 9 and 13) in the NFL draft on Thursday night.
    Ryan escaped the ax after missing the playoffs for the second consecutive season, partly because Johnson owes him between $6 million and $7 million on the two remaining years of his deal.
    The coach called it a “new beginning” for him in January. He’s also strategically distanced himself from Mark Sanchez, whom he once declared would be the starting quarterback for as long as he was in charge.
    If Idzik doesn’t draft a quarterback, Ryan will almost certainly be fired after the season unless the Jets make the playoffs or, at the very least, show marked improvement from their 6-10 showing in 2012. By the looks of one of the most anemic rosters in the league on paper, neither scenario is likely.
    So, Ryan’s self-preservation plan should include selling the same vision he had four years ago with Sanchez: Build a team around a rookie quarterback.
    Ryan would buy himself more time.
    Would Johnson realistically expect Ryan to take another rookie quarterback to the playoffs like he did in 2009, when the Jets snuck into the postseason thanks to the Colts’ late-season generosity? Probably not.
    RELATED: NFL MOCK DRAFT: FROM JOECKEL AT NO. 1 TO MANTI TE'O
    Ryan would be safe for at least two more years if the Jets draft a quarterback on Thursday night.
    Ryan’s new signal caller would be his coach’s life raft. Ryan would likely get at least a one-year extension out of it after the 2013 season (to prevent him from being a true lame duck entering 2014).
    The Jets would be tacitly endorsing Ryan if they select a signal caller with one of their top two picks, believing that the coach should start the second phase of his coaching tenure with the organization with a rookie quarterback.
    The move, however, would make little sense for Idzik, who almost certainly prefers to hire his own coach after the season.

    KATHY WILLENS/AP

    West Virginia QB Geno Smith, whom the Jets could pick, plays in the Pinstripe Bowl.

    Johnson already made an unconventional choice by requiring his new GM to inherit a head coach. Would Idzik, a measured, careful planner, continue on that backward path by asking his next head coach to inherit a quarterback he may not like?
    Idzik wouldn’t hesitate to draft a quarterback in the first round if Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III was available, but this year’s quarterback class that includes Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib, E.J. Manuel, Matt Barkley and Mike Glennon appears to be mediocre, at best.

    The Jets, whose roster has been systematically gutted over the past few months as part of a rebuilding process, have needs all over the field. Idzik admitted Wednesday that he’d be open-minded about possibly trading down in the first round to acquire more draft picks.
    The new GM is likely more inclined to address problem areas such as edge pass rushers, offensive playmakers, interior linemen and defensive backs and hold off on a quarterback until next season.
    Idzik doesn’t need to reach for a quarterback, because he has the luxury of time.
    Ryan does not.
    RELATED: MYERS: 2013 NFL MOCK DRAFT, THE COMPLETE FIRST ROUND
    ON THE RADAR
    Here are three players the Jets could target in Thursday's first round:
    JARVIS JONES
    Position: OLB
    College: Georgia
    Height: 6-2 Weight: 245
    Key numbers: Led the country in sacks (14½) and tackles for loss (24) in 12 starts last season. Added seven forced fumbles.
    Big concern: Spinal stenosis condition prompted him to transfer from USC. Doctors ultimately cleared him to play, but the medical red flag can't be ignored.
    Why him? A prototypical 3-4 edge rusher Rex Ryan has lacked during his tenure.

    L.G. PATTERSON/AP

    Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib.

    TAVON AUSTIN
    Position: WR
    RELATED: ALABAMA CB MAY BE FIT TO REPLACE REVIS
    College: West Virginia
    Height: 5-8 Weight: 174
    Key numbers: Led country with 223.9 all-purpose yards per game last season. Has 4.34 speed.
    Big concern: Smallish size raises questions about his ability to withstand rigors of NFL.
    Why him? Explosive dual threat that could thrive in Marty Mornhinweg’s offense and the return game.
    DEE MILLINER
    Position: CB
    College: Alabama
    Height: 6-0 Weight: 201
    Key numbers: Had 20 pass breakups and two interceptions last season.
    Big concern: Had five surgeries (knee scope, sports hernia, tibia stress fracture and both shoulders). Still hasn’t fully recovered from recent shoulder surgery, raising questions about whether he’ll be ready for training camp.
    Why him? The loss of Darrelle Revis leaves a mammoth hole in the secondary. Milliner’s arrival could slide Kyle Wilson back to the nickel position, where he spent his first two seasons.
    So we don't give this fraud anymore hits... don't click the link.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    If we don't end up with Manuel and he ends up being a top 10 QB elsewhere (as I believe he will) this draft is going to really hurt.

    I could care less about the reasoning, you don't win in the NFL without a QB and Manuel is going to be a good QB. And I could care less if we traded UP for the guy. You don't win wihtout a QB. It's been proven over the last decade and a half. The rules have changed the game.
    Same could be said about Barkley/Geno/Nassib/Glennon/Matt Scott/Jones. I am sure one of these guys will turn into a top 10 QB at some point. Doesn't mean that the Jets failed if they end up passing on the right one and instead get some pro bowlers at other positions.

  11. #11
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe810 View Post
    n

    mehta is a big time DBAG rex stays if he wins regaurdless who the qb is and saying the jets got into the playoffs on the colts generosity just burns my ass. what happens if peyton plays the whole game and gets hurt and the colts never win the sb that year and jets beat the colts in the afc championship game and we win the superbowl. oh or the colts can sit the best player of all time and lose to the jets and then have to come back in the second half after the jets lose a rb and cb to injuries and then jets get to watch drew coleman get beat like a drum and greene holding his ribs on the sidelines and the colts go on to win the superbowl oh what might have been fu mehta get your head out of your ass for once please
    Ouch reading about it makes it hurt again.

    I don't agree with Mehta one bit and I wouldn't mind if he never wrote an article about the Jets again. The only way his reasoning makes sense is if we do draft a QB and he is actually good enough to help us make the playoffs. If we draft Nassib and he blows then why does Rex keep his job? I feel like the whole point is irrelevant unless we find our RGIII/Russell Wilson. And I'm feeling very confident the Jets don't draft a QB in the 1st unless we trade down, and even in that scenario it seems slim. If Jets draft a QB I see it happening in rounds 3-5, no sooner, no later.
    Last edited by CoreyWill; 04-25-2013 at 10:43 AM.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post
    Ouch reading about it makes it hurt again.

    I don't agree with Mehta one bit and I wouldn't mind if he never wrote an article about the Jets again. The only way his reasoning makes sense is if we do draft a QB and he is actually good enough to help us make the playoffs. If we draft Nassib and he blows then why does Rex keep his job? I feel like the whole point is irrelevant unless we find our RGIII/Russell Wilson. And I'm feeling very confident the Jets don't draft a QB in the 1st unless we trade down, and even in that scenario it seems slim. If Jets draft a QB I see it happening in rounds 3-5, no sooner, no later.
    Browns drafted Weeden in the first round last year. Last I checked, they have a new HC this year.

    Ridiculous logic in this article.

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    646
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tweeted Mehta in regards to his anti trading Revis rants. Basically told him if the team was having so many issues with it like he suggested, then why don't they restructure their contracts to make room for the 16 mil a year Revis was after. I especially pointed out Cromartie (who was most vocal). Now I know Cromartie had done a restructure but again if he just has to have Revis maybe he'd go a little further and convince other guys to do the same? Anyway here is Mehta's response via DM - You realize Cromartie restructured his deal last month, right? LOLOLOL

    Very professional.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,899
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped reading at "Mehta Article".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us