Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Sheldon Richardson...your thoughts please?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...coach_rex.html

In Richardson, the Jets get a defensive tackle that can further scramble opposing offensive lines. Ryan said the move allows them to vary their fronts more, potentially leading to more 4-3 looks.

With Florida’s Sharrif Floyd and Utah’s Star Lotulelei still on the board — considered the class of the defensive tackle group — it was Richardson’s rare movement skills that swayed them to make the call.

"His athletic ability, his change of direction is uncanny," Jeff Bauer, the Jets’ director of player personnel, said yesterday. "We were talking, I don’t know if we’ve seen a defensive tackle — we can’t think of one — like this."
    So the Jets get the #1 CB and potentially #1 DT. Maybe I will reserve judgement on this one. We need to come away with some offensive studs tho!

any chance Richardson can be like an Adalius Thomas or isn't he that athletic?

Strengths

Scouts like the light feet Richardson shows for his size, as he is able to twist inside and chase plays to the sideline with great speed. That agility, combined with his length, makes him a strong tackler in close quarters. Richardson's first step off the snap, especially when lined up over the ball, is quite impressive; he gets into the backfield in a heartbeat, beating reach-blocks and will work his way through double-teams if he sees the ball in the quarterback's hands. He plays with leverage at the point of attack at times despite his height, holding his ground and wrestling with attitude. Has enough athleticism that Missouri uses him as a standup rusher and to drop into short zone coverages over the middle of the field, where shows the ability to cover crossing receivers and tight ends in a short area.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...son?id=2540142

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    any chance Richardson can be like an Adalius Thomas or isn't he that athletic?

Strengths

Scouts like the light feet Richardson shows for his size, as he is able to twist inside and chase plays to the sideline with great speed. That agility, combined with his length, makes him a strong tackler in close quarters. Richardson's first step off the snap, especially when lined up over the ball, is quite impressive; he gets into the backfield in a heartbeat, beating reach-blocks and will work his way through double-teams if he sees the ball in the quarterback's hands. He plays with leverage at the point of attack at times despite his height, holding his ground and wrestling with attitude. Has enough athleticism that Missouri uses him as a standup rusher and to drop into short zone coverages over the middle of the field, where shows the ability to cover crossing receivers and tight ends in a short area.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...son?id=2540142
    I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they will ask him to lose weight to get faster. Either way I think he translates to an edge rusher either in 4 man front on early downs or 3 man front on passing downs with Wilk moving inside. Nice to know he can drop and cover a short area, i.e. RB/TE screens.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Usually the only thing on opposite college football on saturdays is bowling or high school cheerleading.
    I watch Hockey. That is a sport, last time I checked.

Anyway, this guy, from what I'm reading out of all these posts, is being built-up to be some sort of monster on the field. Would be great if even half the things stated turn out to be true. God knows the Jets need all the help they can get.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Sheldon Richardson will love the New York spotlight. But will the spotlight love him back?

It became abundantly clear in his introductory news conference Friday that Richardson likes to talk. In fact, he was asked to talk about the time he did too much talking in college. During the run-up to a big game against Georgia, he said the Bulldogs play "old-man football." It created a firestorm and he apologized to the Georgia coaches.

"Oh, man, the media takes stuff and runs with it," said Richardson, who sat alongside fellow first-round pick Dee Milliner in the Jets' press room. "It was a joke. [Instead of] old-school football, I said old-man football. I didn't want to say old-school. They hand off left and right, and they had an offensive playbook of about 14 plays. Toss left, toss right, a little play-action here and there. But they're a powerhouse team and I understand why."

Georgia won, 41-20, on Missouri's home field. At the end of the game, Georgia players held up a sign that said, "Grown man football."

It wasn't the last time that Richardson's mouth got him into trouble. Late in the season, he was suspended for a pivotal game against Syracuse for breaking an unspecified team rule. An NFL source said Richardson showed up late for an academic meeting and was required, as punishment, to run the stadium steps.

"He was reluctant, didn't want to do it because he claimed he was hurt," the source said. "He talked back to the coach and said he'd come back and do it another day."

The source described Richardson as "an immature knucklehead, but certainly not a bad kid." In the big picture, his suspension hardly qualifies as a major transgressions, considering the rap sheets that some players bring into the NFL. Richardson came off as affable, but confident. He expects to start as a rookie.

"I want to start," he said. "They didn't draft us to sit behind anybody."

The Jets chose Richardson with the 13th pick, Milliner with the ninth pick. Both will play significant roles as rookies, although Richardson's role is a bit of a mystery. He's an interior linemen, and they have two others in Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples, both former No. 1 picks. Rex Ryan plays multiple fronts, and he acknowledged there could be more 4-3 looks than in the past. Richardson said he was surprised the Jets took him because they hadn't talked to him since the scouting combine in February.

Milliner, of course, will be compared to former Jets CB Darrelle Revis. When he heard they had traded Revis to the Bucs, Milliner figured they'd be in the market for another corner.

"When they traded Revis, I didn't know who they'd get or when they'd get it, but I figure they'd have to take one," he said.

Milliner said he may reach out to Revis for advice "because I know he's a great corner and I know he could help me out."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-talk-the-talk