Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Sheldon Richardson...your thoughts please?

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I will join him at the dinner table, then.

Until Sheldon shows me SOMETHING, he is just another 'meh' pick....
    try looking at his film and you might just see a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Rex doesn't really miss on DL. He turns UDFAs (e.g. Devito) into good players. When he starts getting these talented, first rounders, they turn into absolute beasts.

Richardson is good. Very violent and intimidating player.

The defensive fronts we're going to use will be interesting. Coples isn't a true 3-4 DE. Richardson can be, though.
    DeVito was a product of Mangini. Just like every other leader thats left on this team (Harris, Mangold, Brick).

Coples, Wilkerson and maybe Kerley are the only 3 guys that Rex has drafted and have worked out for us.

Every other player that has been draft ever since Rex took over never lived up to their expectations:

Sanchez, Greene, Slauson, Wilson, Ducasse, J.McKnight, Conner, Ellis, Powell, McElroy, S.McKnight, Hill?, Davis?, Bush, Ganaway, Griffin, Allen?, White

Thats 3 out of 21 drafted players that are still starters on this team now.
    Pretty bad if you ask me!

Let me name just a few players drafted by Mangini:
    Brick, Mangold, B.Smith, L.Washington, Revis, Harris, Keller, Lowery
    they were or some still are very good players for us!!
    Last edited by LB54; 04-26-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    would also help if they actually watched college football lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    would also help if they actually watched college football lol
    I only watch the Bowl games. I'm busy watching other sports during the regular seasons of the college teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I only watch the Bowl games. I'm busy watching other sports during the regular seasons of the college teams.
    Usually the only thing on opposite college football on saturdays is bowling or high school cheerleading.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Everybody has a highlight film.

How about the questions about his motor and attitude?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post

Everything I've read says he's a non-stop high effort player. The only quip on him is he may be considered a "goofball."

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Scouts like the light feet Richardson shows for his size, as he is able to twist inside and chase plays to the sideline with great speed. That agility, combined with his length, makes him a strong tackler in close quarters. Richardson's first step off the snap, especially when lined up over the ball, is quite impressive; he gets into the backfield in a heartbeat, beating reach-blocks and will work his way through double-teams if he sees the ball in the quarterback's hands. He plays with leverage at the point of attack at times despite his height, holding his ground and wrestling with attitude. Has enough athleticism that Missouri uses him as a standup rusher and to drop into short zone coverages over the middle of the field, where shows the ability to cover crossing receivers and tight ends in a short area.

WEAKNESSES Richardson's upper-body strength is not elite, which means his high pad level and failure to use his hands to shed blocks can allow him to get turned from the hole and taken to the ground once off-balance. He had surgery in the offseason to repair a shoulder injury, so he must show his strength has improved. A better player in pursuit than he is holding the point against the run, where he can struggle to anchor. Drag-down lunging tackler who misses ball carriers in space.

NFL COMPARISON Cullen Jenkins

Further Analysis

Strengths:
    Extremely explosive
    Non-stop motor
    Very fast
    Instincts
    Can play defensive end and tackle
    Gives relentless effort
    Very disruptive
    Phenomenal closing speed
    Great get off
    A very rare athlete
    Makes plays in and out of his gap
    Pad level
    Quickness
    Uses hands well in combination with his feet
    Plays with good leverage
    Strong pass-rusher on the interior
    Repertoire of pass rushing moves
    Scheme versatility

Weaknesses:
    Strength to anchor
    Raw, a little unpolished
    Could use a little more weight
    Suspended for one game in 2012

Summary: Missouri struggled with its move to the SEC, but Richardson was one Tigers player who was clearly better then the competition. He was a dominant force at the point of attack. The explosive junior was constantly firing into the backfield to be a disruptive presence against the pass and the run.

Richardson was impossible not to notice when watching tape of the Tigers; he was all over the field. If plays went away from him, Richardson would give tremendous effort to run across the field and get in on tackles. Because he is extremely fast, he was able to have an impact with that effort. Richardson got in on tackles over 10 yards down the field on wide receivers after receptions.

Richardson finished the year second on Missouri in tackles with 75. He registered 10.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks, three passes broken up and three forced fumbles. too. Richardson also returned a fumble 60 yards against Kentucky. The Tigers did not qualify for a Bowl game, and the junior quickly declared for the 2013 NFL Draft. He recorded 37 tackles, eight tackles for a loss, two sacks and a forced fumble in 2011.

Missouri used Richardson at defensive end and tackle. He had success as a pass-rusher at end as well as at tackle. Richardson beat Alabama right tackle D.J. Fluker for a sack coming from end, and is a much better pass-rusher than his sack totals indicate. Richardson had 14 tackles against Alabama. He was impressive going against the Crimson Tide's superb offensive line.

Against Kentucky's Larry Warford, Richardson didn't make plays versus the tough guard but found a way to have a big impact versus the Wildcats' other linemen.

Richardson could be a dangerous pass-rusher in the NFL as a three-technique defensive tackle in a 4-3 defense. He also could play end on run downs and move inside to tackle in passing situations for a 4-3 system. Richardson also would fit as a 3-4 defensive end given his length, speed and great motor. He is an impact player who is a three-down player and tone-setter for a defense. Richardson is a fiery player who has some potential to be a leader in the locker room.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Everything I've read says he's a non-stop high effort player. The only quip on him is he may be considered a "goofball."

[/B].
    Read somewhere that he is a 'loudmouth' and 'tough to coach' I guess I took that as an idictment of his motor.

I still don't understand the pick unless Ryan is abandoning his lifetime belief in the 3-4.

All Pro
    I wonder what the plan is for him.

He's obviously VERY athletic for a guy that size. Maybe they ask him to lose 10-15 pounds and play like Sean Ellis did early in his career as a 4-3 LDE?

Or is he just a DT?

The more I watch of him, the more I like the pick. Still would have preferred Floyd, but there is something about him we don't know about. That fall is unexplained right now.

Big 12 DT. Fail.

Milliner I can live with. This pick is garbage. Lotuelei is an animal and would fit the 3-4 much, much better.

This guy is a worse prospect than Kenrick Ellis was coming out in the 3rd round.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Big 12 DT. Fail.

Milliner I can live with. This pick is garbage. Lotuelei is an animal and would fit the 3-4 much, much better.

This guy is a worse prospect than Kenrick Ellis was coming out in the 3rd round.

Gerald McCoy, Suh, Henry Melton off the top of my head are all very good players. Not sure what the problem with Big 12 tackles is.

Big 12 DT. Fail.

I guess you forgot that Mizz made the switch to the SEC but that's ok.. Richardson is a beast and the best pass rushing DT in the draft he dominated Alabama. Wilk, Ellis, Richardson, Coples will be a disruptive 4-3 front.. It's the Milliner pick I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    I guess you forgot that Mizz made the switch to the SEC but that's ok.. Richardson is a beast and the best pass rushing DT in the draft he dominated Alabama. It's the Milliner pick I don't like.
    i hear you on milliner but again it goes back to who else is worth the pick? would it be better to take a guard there? i don't think so. at least now they can draft a safety and still have a very good secondary.

what if cromartie got hurt? there would be no cbs who could cover a lick.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i hear you on milliner but again it goes back to who else is worth the pick? would it be better to take a guard there? i don't think so. at least now they can draft a safety and still have a very good secondary.

what if cromartie got hurt? there would be no cbs who could cover a lick.
    I hear you on that.. People are shocked Millner made it out of the top 5 he probably was the BPA. After tavon got stolen from us there was no one on offense worth taking that high besides Warmack. There are still very good WRs/TEs left on the board

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    I guess you forgot that Mizz made the switch to the SEC but that's ok.. Richardson is a beast and the best pass rushing DT in the draft he dominated Alabama. Wilk, Ellis, Richardson, Coples will be a disruptive 4-3 front.. It's the Milliner pick I don't like.
    4-3 tackle in a 3-4 who is regarded as a sub-par tackler coming off surgery.

Good pick :/

Big 12 DT. Fail.

You do realize Missouri was in the SEC last year?

We already show 4-3 fronts at times, and theres a strong possibility we see a shift to a base 4-3, if not this year, next year, if most fans here get their way and Rex is gone.

Yeah sub par... 14 tackles against Alabama and their OL last fall

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post

There are zero questions about his motor and attitude. Those are probably his two strengths in my opinion.

If you want to gripe about this pick, the gripe would be about his lack of strength at the point of attack. The guy gets moved at times... His athleticism and speed are fantastic, as well as his work rate. The problem is that he's not the strongest guy in the world and it's tough to survive in the NFL without that.

He likes to try to get up field but when he has to anchor, it's a struggle for him.

I don't think either Milliner OR Richardson will get a pro bowl, but I probably give Richardson a better shot because of his attitude. He's an impressive guy. Usuaslly guys like that figure out ways to make it work.

And the other negative with Richardson is that he's 24 years old... he's not getting any stronger.

We are clearly transitioning to a 4-3 open your eyes. The fact you thought he played in the Big 12 last year shows how clueless you are on this player though and didnt see him play once.