Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Sheldon Richardson...your thoughts please?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by AJGunns View Post
    Yeah, good defenses don't help you win games or anything.
    2012 - #8 in total Defense and #30 in total Offense. How did that work out for us?

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    You do realize Missouri was in the SEC last year?
    Who cares? He's a junior outta Missouri, a 4-3 DT coming to a 3-4 team and his major criticism is "below average tackler."

We should've traded up to #4 and gotten him.........

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    what if cromartie got hurt? there would be no cbs who could cover a lick.
    This. Some posters are acting like we have 4 CBs that are pro bowlers. We have Cromartie. Jury is still out on Wilson. The rest is JAGs.

Spread offenses proliferating around the league means you always need good defensive backs. I wouldnt be surprised if they go safety in round 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There are zero questions about his motor and attitude. Those are probably his two strengths in my opinion.

If you want to gripe about this pick, the gripe would be about his lack of strength at the point of attack. The guy gets moved at times... His athleticism and speed are fantastic, as well as his work rate. The problem is that he's not the strongest guy in the world and it's tough to survive in the NFL without that.

He likes to try to get up field but when he has to anchor, it's a struggle for him.

I don't think either Milliner OR Richardson will get a pro bowl, but I probably give Richardson a better shot because of his attitude. He's an impressive guy. Usuaslly guys like that figure out ways to make it work.

And the other negative with Richardson is that he's 24 years old... he's not getting any stronger.
    I see Dwayne Robertson 2.0 with this pick

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    This. Some posters are acting like we have 4 CBs that are pro bowlers. We have Cromartie. Jury is still out on Wilson. The rest is JAGs.

Spread offenses proliferating around the league means you always need good defensive backs. I wouldnt be surprised if they go safety in round 2 or 3.
    Bingo! We don't have this!

We are reactive drafting and not being proactive!

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    You do realize Missouri was in the SEC last year?

Glad you picked up on that because I was about to go off on pmarsico. The problem here is that we have Jets fans that never watch college football acting like they know what they are talking about when it comes to the draft because they heard an interview with mel Kiper the day before the dragt. Not knowing Mizzou moved to the SEC is comical.

Richardson played against Bama and other elite SEC schools this year and did well for a DT. DT's generally aren't going to put up big sack numbers so its tough to tell from the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There are zero questions about his motor and attitude. Those are probably his two strengths in my opinion.

If you want to gripe about this pick, the gripe would be about his lack of strength at the point of attack. The guy gets moved at times... His athleticism and speed are fantastic, as well as his work rate. The problem is that he's not the strongest guy in the world and it's tough to survive in the NFL without that.

He likes to try to get up field but when he has to anchor, it's a struggle for him.

I don't think either Milliner OR Richardson will get a pro bowl, but I probably give Richardson a better shot because of his attitude. He's an impressive guy. Usuaslly guys like that figure out ways to make it work.

And the other negative with Richardson is that he's 24 years old... he's not getting any stronger.
    Sheldon Richardson was born in 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post

How many "premier" CB's did Baltimore have last year?

How about the Niners?

Or the Giants? Pats?

They all had better than average QB's. What is this fixation on CB's this team has?

No other team in the league had better corners than the Jets the past two years and they didn't make the playoffs.

All League
    He should not be ranked in the top 4 on any board

Veteran
    Maybe, just maybe Idzic, or Izdic as most will be starting to refer to him as, is concentrating on one thing at a time. we really can't do much with the O right now because we really do not have much talent under center. Maybe the focus this year is the D and next year when Sanchez is gone we can wipe the slate clean with a big new QB and build around him. If this is the plan I am fine with it. No doubt he will go O in this draft but maybe D is 1st on the docket. I do agree though, we did not need to address Revises replacement just yet, we could have done that round 2 or 3. I am playing wait and see game.

Veteran
    I didnt like it but now that its all set and done ill roll with it (like theres any other option) Richardson is quick off the snap. Has good speed. If we switch to the 4-3 or the 5-2 then i can see where he fits. Ryan made it clear he didnt like Jones. I felt from the beginning we should go D in round 1 bc how deep this draft is wth WR's and TE's. My only wish is that they traded down and got a second second rounder so we can get two targets like Etrz or Kelce at TE and Hunter or Allen in round 2

My initial reaction was depression because these picks do not fill immediate holes and will not help us this season. It seems Idzik went BAP looking towards the future with 2 good players that give them scheme versatility in case they fire Rex and move to a Tampa 2 defense like Seattle. I doubt Richardson was a Rex pick because he doesn't fit the scheme.

I also think we also got screwed: I think we targeted Mingo & Austin at 9 and Hayden at 13. Both went 1 pick before us. I was looking for Fluker at 9 and Jones at 13. It shows the priority we place on CB and DL as compared to teams like Pitt, Balt, and NYG who prioritize pass rushers over DBs.

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    My initial reaction was depression because these picks do not fill immediate holes and will not help us this season. It seems Idzik went BAP looking towards the future with 2 good players that give them scheme versatility in case they fire Rex and move to a Tampa 2 defense like Seattle. I doubt Richardson was a Rex pick because he doesn't fit the scheme.

I also think we also got screwed: I think we targeted Mingo & Austin at 9 and Hayden at 13. Both went 1 pick before us. I was looking for Fluker at 9 and Jones at 13. It shows the priority we place on CB and DL as compared to teams like Pitt, Balt, and NYG who prioritize pass rushers over DBs.

the giants have drafted 2 cbs in the first round in recent years.

the thing about richardson is that he's an inside pass rusher. he's not Star who clogs things up. we actually can create a pass rush with the line, and that really opens things up for blitzing.

like the old brooklyn dodgers

WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the giants have drafted 2 cbs in the first round in recent years.

the thing about richardson is that he's an inside pass rusher. he's not Star who clogs things up. we actually can create a pass rush with the line, and that really opens things up for blitzing.
    True and what these negative nabobs fail to understand is that since he presents such a push up the gut, QBs like BRADY will be forced to either side and can not set their feet! Our quick DEs will clean up! I am sure that the armchair guys know that but just want to break chops!

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    True and what these negative nabobs fail to understand is that since he presents such a push up the gut, QBs like BRADY will be forced to either side and can not set their feet! Our quick DEs will clean up! I am sure that the armchair guys know that but just want to break chops!
    He better, b/c God knows, right now, we won't be scoring many points.

Veteran
    It should have been Jarvis Jones. Jet fans will rue the day they took S-Rich over Jarvis Jones. We will watch him tear up opposing offenses in the playoffs with Pittsburgh for years and years. He was projected to be a top 3 pick at one point.

Sheldon Richardson vs Alabama 2012

Interesting video on Richardson against a great Offensive line (for college)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x1EGquKKEs

Jets Insider VIP
    Richardson is a better player than Jones

Much better

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    How many "premier" CB's did Baltimore have last year?

How about the Niners?

Or the Giants? Pats?

They all had better than average QB's. What is this fixation on CB's this team has?

No other team in the league had better corners than the Jets the past two years and they didn't make the playoffs.
    +1