Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: A Draft So Bad, It's Not Even Fair To Call Out Idzik, So I Won't

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Uhhh that's because Clemens was taken with a 2nd rounder several years earlier.
    Uh, so?

It may be too soon to determine whether Geno was a "sunk cost" but I would hope Idzik isn't adverse to hedging his bets with a Top 5 QB next year if there's any question then on Geno.

Smith was a pick we had to make at that spot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Exactly. If we are in the position to take a QB we feel is an upgrade over Geno next year, we take him.

The fact that Geno was a second rounder means he only gets a four year contract at what equates to back up money.
    Ma man...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Uh, so?

It may be too soon to determine whether Geno was a "sunk cost" but I would hope Idzik isn't adverse to hedging his bets with a Top 5 QB next year if there's any question then on Geno.

Smith was a pick we had to make at that spot.
    No .. We did not HAVE to make that pick. Idzik calculated that he was the best value on the board ... Personally I think taking a TE there might have been a better move. But no one can deny that the Geno pick was a good value pick.

If he can play great ... If he can't there is always next year. I just hope that we know what he is prior to next years Draft. I want Bridgewater.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Add a QB that every team passed on
    Every team passed on Drew Brees.

Every team passed on Tom Brady - multiple times.

Every team can get it wrong ... and often do.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Every team passed on Drew Brees.

Every team passed on Tom Brady - multiple times.

Every team can get it wrong ... and often do.

Lets keep it going

Russell Wilson

Aaron Rodgers

Andy Dalton (Not amazing, but rather him than Gabbert or Ponder)

Dan Marino (we should know)

Etc etc

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Lets keep it going

Russell Wilson

Aaron Rodgers

Andy Dalton (Not amazing, but rather him than Gabbert or Ponder)

Dan Marino (we should know)

Etc etc
    Every team passed on Kaperknick.

Took until the 3rd until someone took Montana

9 for Unitas, then Pitt cut him.

You are doomed if you move believing everyone knows more than you do and use that as your

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Few teams passed on hot garbage Matt Leinart.

Fortunately NO Jet fans here at JI were calling for him to be drafted. We are smarter than that

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I DESPISE this year's draft.

This BPA bullsh*t isn't am proven method. It's a strategy for teams who don't know how to draft!

Case in point, look at our first round pick Dee Milliner. Highest rated CB in the draft. Only problem with this pick, the Jets DIDN'T NEED the highest rated CB.

The Jets needed an OLB like Jarvis Jones, whom we passed on TWICE!!!

All the guy did was make plays, big plays. In the SEC nonetheless!

Then on to the second first round pick. Sherman Richardson, the third highest rated DT (while the first & second were still on the board.) This to me, was a reach.

With the holes at both G positions, the Jets should've jumped all over Warmack. A much better value at the 13 spot & fills a much bigger need.

Then there's Geno Smith, our 2nd round pick. There's a reason nobody else who needed a QB passed on him, except for the Jets! By far the worst pick of the draft. I saw enough of him in the Pinstripe Bowl to not draft him, period. Do we really need another QB at this point in time? If we had to take a QB, it should've been in '14.

We could've drafted a TE or S that could start right away.

We could have added an OLB that could rush the passer & added much needed youth & speed to the defense & helped take some pressure off of Coples & Wilkerson.

We could have cemented one of the G spots for years to come & help the running & passing game.

We could have picked up a TE that would give our QB (whoever the f*ck that might be?) another big target to throw to.

The only pick that made sense was trading a 4th to NO for Ivory.!

The fact that Tim Tebow is still on the roster & the resigning of Calvin Pace speaks volumes about Idzik & Co.

This draft is a pile of steamy hot garbage. BPA. Bullsh*t.

Long live the circus!!!!!!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    I love the Geno pick in round 2 ... he's no Wilson, RG3, at all ... anyone who thinsk he's a potential day 1 starter THIS YEAR ... hasn't watching him play at all. I watched every game he played this past season cause I'm a compulsive college FB gambler ... he's got the potential to be a starting QB in this league but needs A LOT of work. Don't let the numbers skew your judgement ... he ran a college style offense and thru a lot of screens to some super blazing RB's who would get 40 Yards after the catch every couple of plays. Same goes for the receiver screens. Also his accuracy is very suspect and he's no Kap or RG3 running the ball .. not even close. More Vince Young but isn't bad ....

I can assure you ... he won't beat out Sanchez in week 1 ...
    Ah Wilson wasn't a first round grade either. He developed into one. 40 yac yards don't make your completion percentage 70%. When has Sanchez EVER come close to that percentage even in high school? Geno isn't ther yet but could be. Don't even try to tell me anyone thought nor saw how good Tom Brady was going to be. I remember the same types of things being said about Steve McNair when he was coming out of college. "He was in shotgun his whole college career", "He cannot run a conventional offense", "He played at a small school". We wont know what these players will be. Even Jimmy Johnson said he would have taken Blair Thomas over E.Smith if the Jets didn't take him. Give the picks a chance. It's hard to admit the coaches do know more than we as fans do. I have to tell myself that after yelling at the screen during the game.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Do you realize how many of his "passes" were dumpoffs behind the LOS?

And how will throwing off his back foot CONSTANTLY work out against NFL safeties.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/64079.html
    not to compare but look at his weakness. All college QB's have some type of flaw. Sanchez's scouting report said he needed to sit a year to learn.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was not the year to waste a pick on a QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Apparently they had Sheldon Richardson rated higher then Warmack, so, I am fine with that - they just drafted Winters, a starting caliber Guard in the third round and signed Stephen Peterman who is another OG that was the Lions starting Guard the last several years and traded a 4th rounder for Chris Ivory.
    Which is it, what THEY had someone rated or what KIPER did? Make up your mind. The Jets having a player that doesn't fill a need ahead of a player that does (who was touted tops at his position, btw) is ok, but come the 2nd round you're cool with going with what draftniks say. Baffling.

The rest of what you put forth is said with the advantage of hindsight, so it really doesn't hold water.

Don't understand how you can B-tch about Geno Smith when he was the consensus highest rated player on the board, as well as the highest rated player at his position which just so happened to be a position of need and he fell into our lap in the 2nd round - that makes no sense - unless you were O.K. with another year of Mark "Mr. Fumble/INT" Sanchez.
    I'm only "b!tching" insofar as the available talent to fill positions of need outstripped that of Smith, regardless of his being picked int eh 2nd round. Value at the QB position isn't the same as value at a position such as OL, WR or S. The rest of your comment speaks to what your true motivation is, which is to be rid of Sanchez, hook or crook. That's foolhardy as the drafting of Smith doesn't resolve that issue, nor does it address the myriad other needs the team has, specifically OLB and interior OL, hindsight excluded naturally.

You have to remember, this is a 2nd round pick we used on Geno Smith, this isn't a guy who is going to land a 50 million dollar contract or anything even remotely close to that, this is a low risk, high reward, BPA available pick. It's a great move all the way around when you look at it in the proper perspective.
    I am looking at it with the proper perspective. While you may be correct that getting Smith in the 2nd round is a good deal, you're basing that on analyst musings. The fact is that there were no consensus, top-flight QBs in this draft. The precipitous fall out of the 1st round by Smith, who was largely considered the top QB in the draft, to say nothing of his being passed over by QB hungry Buffalo, speaks to that fact.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Few teams passed on hot garbage Matt Leinart.

Fortunately NO Jet fans here at JI were calling for him to be drafted. We are smarter than that
    Not true I read all kinds of *****ing when the Jets passed him over.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a few intelligent other posters have said, we HAD to come out of this draft with a QB.

Mark Sanchez needed to sit last year. Problem was we had nothing behind him.

This year, Idzik wanted to bring in two vets to create competition. He took Garrard early and IMO opinion was probably looking at several other options. Problem was the were either going to be too expensive or were going to cost us draft picks.

Garrard in no way shape or form in any way a starter. He hasn't been healthy in 2 years so if we couldn't possibly be a starter for more than a game or two.

And Mark Sanchez, who was upset when Rex threatened to bench him two years ago, then got upset when Tebow was brought in, surely is going to pout with yesterday's addition.

IMO, Sanchez is the distraction. Not Tebow, Not Geno. If he continues to be one, then we need to figure out how to "help" him find new work.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post

I am looking at it with the proper perspective. While you may be correct that getting Smith in the 2nd round is a good deal, you're basing that on analyst musings. The fact is that there were no consensus, top-flight QBs in this draft. The precipitous fall out of the 1st round by Smith, who was largely considered the top QB in the draft, to say nothing of his being passed over by QB hungry Buffalo, speaks to that fact.
    OK. So when every team passed on Kaepernick, SF should have know he sucked. Same with Seattle when Miami chose Tannehill over Russell Wilson.

The Bills haven't picked the right QB since 1983. I cannot believe anyone would use Buffalo's draft process to negatively judge ours.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    No .. We did not HAVE to make that pick.
    It's a figure of speech.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK. So when every team passed on Kaepernick, SF should have know he sucked. Same with Seattle when Miami chose Tannehill over Russell Wilson.
    Scarecrow argument. My point was that there was no consensus QB aside from Smith, and he had a bigger drop than Rodgers did, all the way out of the first round. Should he turn out like Rodgers, wonderful. If so many want to believe that the Jets got a steal because Smith fell to the 2nd round, so be it. But don't try to prop up that belief by telling everyone that the Jets knew something other teams didn't or that the other teams are just sux0rz at teh draft. It's silly, juvenile homerism.

The Bills haven't picked the right QB since 1983. I cannot believe anyone would use Buffalo's draft process to negatively judge ours.
    Same could be said about the Jets draft process, especially with regards to QBs, no?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    By picking Millner, the Jets in effect traded Revis and the 9th pick for the 13th pick and a 4th next years draft.
    Just don't get it do you? It's #13 plus 3rd next year (most likely) PLUS whatever we do with the 45 million or so we save and can spend on several players. So to recap:

1. Richardson
    2. Next year's pick
    3. All the players we get with the 45 million or so we save over 3 years

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Scarecrow argument. My point was that there was no consensus QB aside from Smith, and he had a bigger drop than Rodgers did, all the way out of the first round. Should he turn out like Rodgers, wonderful. If so many want to believe that the Jets got a steal because Smith fell to the 2nd round, so be it. But don't try to prop up that belief by telling everyone that the Jets knew something other teams didn't or that the other teams are just sux0rz at teh draft. It's silly, juvenile homerism.

Same could be said about the Jets draft process, especially with regards to QBs, no?
    Juvenile homerism or believing in the New GM until he gives us a reason to question his judgement. Throughout the years the Jets loved Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, and Russell Wilson. Smith is a better athlete and has a better arm than Ryan and Sanchez and is very comparable to Wilson.

If you hate the Geno pick, you might want to watch another team at least for next season because Geno is our future at QB.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    All things considered, this was a damn good draft. Damn good. I'm excited for training camp.