View Poll Results: What grade would you give the Jets for the first round?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

36 15.00%
  • B

104 43.33%
  • C

53 22.08%
  • D

27 11.25%
  • F

20 8.33%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade the Jets First Round

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Rex's blueprint. For what I don't know. Definitely not success as the team has gotten progressively worse each year starting with these picks...
    Fortunateley, I don't think Rex is drafting this year. GM said he was going to take the best player on the board and for the most part he did. Wilson, was a knucklehead, Couples was a gamble, and Wilkerson was just a stupid pick. These guys "invisioned Rex Ryan's style of football???" Wilson is slow and clueless ... But apparently a heavy hitter once he catches up to his guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrebet Crunch View Post
    Fortunateley, I don't think Rex is drafting this year. GM said he was going to take the best player on the board and for the most part he did. Wilson, was a knucklehead, Couples was a gamble, and Wilkerson was just a stupid pick. These guys "invisioned Rex Ryan's style of football???" Wilson is slow and clueless ... But apparently a heavy hitter once he catches up to his guy.
    Muhammad Wilkerson was a stupid pick? I hope you meant Wilson. Wilkerson is a beast

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LotteryPick6 View Post
    Muhammad Wilkerson was a stupid pick? I hope you meant Wilson. Wilkerson is a beast
    Beast? Good player, solid? Yes

A beast? Not close, and I like Wilk

I'll give you solid, but I was hoping for a bit more. My bad though - he has been more solid especially in the pass rush.

Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    The only thing we know for sure is that we need a new GM, this guy is an idiot. We are back to square one.
    And how exactly do you come to your ridiculous conclusion about the aforementioned individual?

Ranked as second best DE in the NFL behind Watt...

All League

Wilkerson is the best defensive player on this team. Look, I hate this team as much as the rest of us, but Wilkerson is a beast. Rated as the second best DE in the league last year behind JJ Watts.

Rookie
    Can someone explain how we don't take Jarvis Jones at 13?When this team hasn't had a decent pass rush since the sack exchange of the early 80's!I'm just waiting for Idiotzik to announce Rex's extension in the coming days!And that will really make me sick!

Quote Originally Posted by rich1223 View Post
    Can someone explain how we don't take Jarvis Jones at 13?When this team hasn't had a decent pass rush since the sack exchange of the early 80's!I'm just waiting for Idiotzik to announce Rex's extension in the coming days!And that will really make me sick!
    Shledon Richardson is a passrusher, from the inside......We might still get an OLB Rusher, stay tuned

I liked Jarvis Jones, but a 4.9 forty and spinal stenosis had to scare you a little

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    I wanted Milliner/Mingo

Obviously couldn't get Mingo

Didn't see Richardson coming at all, but he's a damn good player

Hey they went BPA in 2 premium positions.....I like it

The offensive value wasn't there, and the draft is far from over
    Right now B+ but potentially A+ depending on their performance on the field. Highly rated players, the cream of their positions. This is how champions build their teams. Look at the Giants DL. Brady is dead.

I grade at an A minus. Defense is now younger, stronger and will be fun to watch. No offensive picks in this draft could help the jets. The offense will be rebuilt in 2014.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Right now B+ but potentially A+ depending on their performance on the field. Highly rated players, the cream of their positions. This is how champions build their teams. Look at the Giants DL. Brady is dead.
    Brady won't even have to throw the ball. We couldn't move the ball last year and are considerably worse offensively.

Coples started 3 games last year so what is a realistic number for Richardson?

And Milliner is our nickel corner.

So yes, long term maybe they pan out, but for 2013, we took two players in the top 13 picks who will be back ups for a 1-win team.

Rookie
    Sheldon had 4.5 sacks to 14.5 for Jones thats a pretty wide gap to me!Spinal and speed issues aside!But boy do i hope your right and i'm wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    That's basically how I feel about the 1st round (B+). After St. Louis took Austin, Milliner was next in line for me. At 13, there were only two guys ahead of Richardson on my board (Jones/Lotulelei), so no complaints becuz Richardson could end up better than those two for all I know...

And for everyone who thinks Richardson "doesn't fit our scheme"... LOL. A creative defensive coach schemes according to the players he has and puts them in position to succeed. There's actually people on here acting like we didn't need DLine help? Did you forget that we no longer have Pouha/Devito? Besides, BPA should be the rule, not the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    F. Worse case scenario. And no one here wanted these players before we drafted them, just sayin
    Because the majority of JI's approach to the draft is to "reach-to-fill-a-need". This forum is nauseating when it comes to the draft. People claim to want a best-player-available approach leading up to the draft and after more than a decade we finally get it and this myopic board freaks out. Ya.. I suppose we should have reached for another putrid QB in round 1 like we did for Sanchez. I suppose we should have reached for a TE (Eiffert) with much better defensive talent on the board. Lots of draft left to get a TE, OL depth, safeties and a mid round QB.

I applaud the Jets for sticking with a BPA approach.

I grade a D. I understand what every other team is trying to do but the Jets. No other team completely ignored need. When Austin was gone, if we don't want Warmack, we should have traded out of that spot. Jarvis jones there at 13.

At the very least, I would have taken Warmack and Jones, but we really should have attempted to trade down. I am really disgusted.

All Pro
    I wanted Milliner/Mingo

Obviously couldn't get Mingo

Didn't see Richardson coming at all, but he's a damn good player

Hey they went BPA in 2 premium positions.....I like it

The offensive value wasn't there, and the draft is far from over
    This. I looked at my various ranking sheets and we would have taken a DE/DT with that #13 pretty much no matter what. For some reason, they just didn't value Warmack as highly for their system. You can't grade a first round by itself. You have to see how the whole mix plays out. Good GM's, and good teams, are fearless in going for BPA despite the fan chatter. If they did that, I can't really argue, even though they weren't my picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    I grade a D. I understand what every other team is trying to do but the Jets. No other team completely ignored need. When Austin was gone, if we don't want Warmack, we should have traded out of that spot. Jarvis jones there at 13.

At the very least, I would have taken Warmack and Jones, but we really should have attempted to trade down. I am really disgusted.
    not sold on Jarvis Jones nd his medical condition is a pretty big risk. Drafting exclusively for need is a failing approach in the NFL. It's what the Jets have done for the last millennium and it fails every time.

I guess Richardson will have to just prove it on the field.....I've seen alot of him, and our D-line is going to be extremely hard to stop

We literally had no one behind Coples and Wilkerson, and I'm sure all 3 will be on the field together in a lot of packages
    Please don't tell me we spent the 13th pick on a rotational guy. I don't have anything against Richardson, but what is their front line going to look like?

i'm not liking that they went defense for what seems to be forever in the first round but at the same time these guys should be starters. the revis loss certainly gave a need for miliner. not sure about the deline although they did cut pouha and devito and the game starts from the line out. with more teams looking at hurry up offense it is important to keep a lot of linemen ready and fesh to come in.

they'll still get some decent players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to fill out the oline and maybe some skill positions.