View Poll Results: What grade would you give the Jets for the first round?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

36 15.00%
  • B

104 43.33%
  • C

53 22.08%
  • D

27 11.25%
  • F

20 8.33%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade the Jets First Round

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Because the majority of JI's approach to the draft is to "reach-to-fill-a-need". This forum is nauseating when it comes to the draft. People claim to want a best-player-available approach leading up to the draft and after more than a decade we finally get it and this myopic board freaks out. Ya.. I suppose we should have reached for another putrid QB in round 1 like we did for Sanchez. I suppose we should have reached for a TE (Eiffert) with much better defensive talent on the board. Lots of draft left to get a TE, OL depth, safeties and a mid round QB.

I applaud the Jets for sticking with a BPA approach.
    I think you're nauseating, but not for your opinions. But simply for taking the position that if someone doesn't agree with you they then make you sick.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I think you're nauseating, but not for your opinions. But simply for taking the position that if someone doesn't agree with you they then make you sick.
    No what's nauseating is watching people scream all year round for a take the best player available approach and when the jets finally do so, condemning them for ignoring need. Jets fans suck. And are nauseating to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by McElroid View Post
    D

-can't get past the fact we drafted an injury prone cb at 9 to replace a hall of famer we gave away for 13.
    -offense stood up again. but no jet gm can ever again take a TE in rd 1 I guess.
    -Richardson? Is Idzik just going off maycock's mock draft?
    after Johnny Mitchell, Kyle Brady, Anthony Becht and Dustin Keller, can you blame them?

4 1st round TE reaches with the best being Mitchell before he became a head case. Brady and Becht just sucked. Keller a huge disappointment and far from elite.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    B

Hall Of Fame
    C.

Good players, terrible picks.

not sold on Jarvis Jones nd his medical condition is a pretty big risk. Drafting exclusively for need is a failing approach in the NFL. It's what the Jets have done for the last millennium and it fails every time.
    You're right, drafting exclusively for need does not ever work. However, I am not suggesting that. I suggest drafting for value and taking need into account. Nobody would have argued draft position or value had we taken Warmack and Jones, and we would have addressed huge needs.

To draft solely on BPA and completely ignore need makes no sense to me. When player values are really close, I would let need be the tiebreaker.

F as of now as those two positions were not of need... I would have gone with Womack and Eifert! Which are to positions if need.

Of course cant really grade until the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    You're right, drafting exclusively for need does not ever work. However, I am not suggesting that. I suggest drafting for value and taking need into account. Nobody would have argued draft position or value had we taken Warmack and Jones, and we would have addressed huge needs.

To draft solely on BPA and completely ignore need makes no sense to me. When player values are really close, I would let need be the tiebreaker.
    but we surely had strong needs at CB (unless you think Wilson is any good... I don't). Also at DT having lost Pouha and DeVito, leaving the DL to rely almost exclusively on Ellis who struggled mightily last year. We definitely had needs there. Not as glaring as QB or TE, but none of these QBs were worth a 1st rounder and I'm not sold on Eiffert. Maybe they feel there are several comparable TEs later in the draft.

No what's nauseating is watching people scream all year round for a take the best player available approach and when the jets finally do so, condemning them for ignoring need. Jets fans suck. And are nauseating to boot.
    I wouldn't even disagree that much if I believed it...

Milner was clearly a reactionary pick and going D-line at that point considering the complete and utter lack of talent on the other side of the ball is incompetence at best.

All League
    but we surely had strong needs at CB (unless you think Wilson is any good... I don't). Also at DT having lost Pouha and DeVito, leaving the DL to rely almost exclusively on Ellis who struggled mightily last year. We definitely had needs there. Not as glaring as QB or TE, but none of these QBs were worth a 1st rounder and I'm not sold on Eiffert. Maybe they feel there are several comparable TEs later in the draft.
    Maybe you're right. So in 6 months when we are setting records for fewest yards gained offensively and repeatedly getting shut out, we can all rejoice because our defense is only giving up 17 points a game.

Awesome.

Except, we still suck at LB and we nothing pretty close to nothing at Safety. So we really haven't even addressed our needs on D.

Hall Of Fame
    we have SIX friggin picks left in a deep draft....not even one RB has even been taken off the board.....good lord the jets only took 2 players.

All Pro
    They are definitely great prospects. Where, and how will we use them will determine how good it was. Not happy at all with the way things fell, but they are two top 5 talents in most drafts. Wish we could trade them actually.

Tough grading the jets here due to how the board fell.

It's true that Millner is no Revis...
    And Richardson will not be the run defender that Pouha/Devito were, at least not for a few years, but he should provide an additional pass rush which is more important in today's NFL.

I think the depth at TE and no other skilled Offensive players means you have to give the Jets a pass.

Did they improve... Not really, but they got cheaper, and younger which is what you want to do when you are rebuilding.

Also on passing on Warmack, there's no other cb in rd's 2-7 near Millner's level, but there are some lineman who will project as starters... And CB is a premium position.

I have no problem with what the Jets did...

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Maybe you're right. So in 6 months when we are setting records for fewest yards gained offensively and repeatedly getting shut out, we can all rejoice because our defense is only giving up 17 points a game.

Awesome.

Except, we still suck at LB and we nothing pretty close to nothing at Safety. So we really haven't even addressed our needs on D.
    +10000

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Tough grading the jets here due to how the board fell.

It's true that Millner is no Revis...
    And Richardson will not be the run defender that Pouha/Devito were, at least not for a few years, but he should provide an additional pass rush which is more important in today's NFL.

I think the depth at TE and no other skilled Offensive players means you have to give the Jets a pass.

Did they improve... Not really, but they got cheaper, and younger which is what you want to do when you are rebuilding.

Also on passing on Warmack, there's no other cb in rd's 2-7 near Millner's level, but there are some lineman who will project as starters... And CB is a premium position.

I have no problem with what the Jets did...
    +1

All Pro
    I just don't think CB is as important a position as an edge rusher. Wilson would be a very good CB for 3.5 seconds. If we put Coples on the edge, and he can get to the QB then it may work out better than we think. Miliner is a versatile zone CB. Wilson, I believe will be better in zone as well. We'll see what they do, but I want to see all of these guys on the field together. We still don't really have a NT.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thank god the Jets don't pay attention to some of the knee-jerk SOJFs here before making their selections.

For five months they screamed...BPA...BPA...

Now they are screaming....needs...needs

You are right Dave

Nauseating

Veteran
    B+ considering only a few offensive skill players were taken. So basically today is round 1 for offensive skill talent - Austin.

Hopefully Jets use round 2-3 for offense as I'm hoping Lacy is around at 39.

Hall Of Fame
    garay is a pure NT

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I just don't think CB is as important a position as an edge rusher. Wilson would be a very good CB for 3.5 seconds. If we put Coples on the edge, and he can get to the QB then it may work out better than we think. Miliner is a versatile zone CB. Wilson, I believe will be better in zone as well. We'll see what they do, but I want to see all of these guys on the field together. We still don't really have a NT.

Hall Of Fame
    the jets could get tom brady and calvin johnson and the same whiners will whine....it is what it is...some fans will always revel in knocking this team and have the sky is fallen attititude....they will never stop.....fact is there are many jets fans such as myself who are die hards and is optimistic in the new direction this team is going....we are not making predictions like saying that colon will only play 2 games in 2013 or something else that is just as assanine......gang green 4 life.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Thank god the Jets don't pay attention to some of the knee-jerk SOJFs here before making their selections.

For five months they screamed...BPA...BPA...

Now they are screaming....needs...needs

You are right Dave

Nauseating