View Poll Results: What grade would you give the Jets for the first round?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

36 15.00%
  • B

104 43.33%
  • C

53 22.08%
  • D

27 11.25%
  • F

20 8.33%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Grade the Jets First Round

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    we have SIX friggin picks left in a deep draft....not even one RB has even been taken off the board.....good lord the jets only took 2 players.
    yeah, but neither player has made the probowl yet. F.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    the jets could get tom brady and calvin johnson and the same whiners will whine....it is what it is...some fans will always revel in knocking this team and have the sky is fallen attititude....they will never stop.....fact is there are many jets fans such as myself who are die hards and is optimistic in the new direction this team is going....we are not making predictions like saying that colon will only play 2 games in 2013 or something else that is just as assanine......gang green 4 life.
    This is just patently untrue. I agree with many decisions the team makes and am more often than not on the side of the franchise. But this was a bad night...

BAP? says who? Idzik? The same guy that said their two picks were two of th top 4 on their board (come on)

Millner was an obvious Revis situation pick..

Quote Originally Posted by LotteryPick6 View Post
    Based strictly on this draft I wouldn't jump to conclusions about Rex being gone. His handwriting is all over these picks.
    That's the problem. They needed a GM, not another stooge who cows to Rex. That's what's happening here.

The first round of this draft was relatively flat. Everybody's saying "reach for need," but the truth is, there honestly was no reaching. The talent level was relatively flat throughout.

Warmack at 9 would've been entirely acceptable at 9.

And yet, Richardson looks like more of a reach than just about anybody, even Ansah. Seriously. Lotuelei looks to be a more dominant player in the long term. Richardson is actually LESS appealing than Kenrick Ellis was 2 years ago as a 3rd rounder.

Which is ultimately the problem with this draft. The trades down to stockpile picks in 2 and 3 should've been done WAY ahead of time. The fact that they did not do that is disconcerting, just like the retention of Rex was.

There's a massive difference between building a team for the long haul and paying lip service to a lame duck. In this case, this is the ultimate lip service.

Rex has established that his utter lack of offensive acumen or care for it will never allow him to win a Super Bowl as a head coach. It's that simple. The picks were made by Rex since he's hanging by a thread with a roster of complete trash and the owner feels he should also cow to Rex.

Which is so frustrating: This team won't win squat until Woody Johnson sells the team or dies.

And while Milliner will be good, how long is he honestly going to last? He's half bionic already before he steps on the field. You cannot tell me that nobody wanted him, that the 9th pick couldn't have been shopped with how important a good CB in a rookie contract is to teams with real Super Bowl aspirations.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 04-26-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    How is shutdown CB not a need? Kyle Wilson and Cromartie are solid but we have nothing of any value after them........Adding Milliner will do wonders for us in the long run

Yes could have kept Revis......It wasn't happening, and Milliner was easily the best player available
    Agreed, I just did not think CB was a glaring hole in the starting lineup considering how the secondary played last year after Revis went down, plus the kid will be unfairly compared, even though Revis will cost +55MM more than Milliner over the next four years...

OG and OLB/Safety would have been more aligned with need and I think there was value at 9 and 13 to fill holes but Idzik held to his board and selected BPA

It is the better long term strategy but different for the Jets, it will take fans some time to adjust

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    That's the problem. They needed a GM, not another stooge who cows to Rex. That's what's happening here.

The first round of this draft was relatively flat. Everybody's saying "reach for need," but the truth is, there honestly was no reaching. The talent level was relatively flat throughout.

Warmack at 9 would've been entirely acceptable at 9.

And yet, Richardson looks like more of a reach than just about anybody, even Ansah. Seriously. Lotuelei looks to be a more dominant player in the long term. Richardson is actually LESS appealing than Kenrick Ellis was 2 years ago as a 3rd rounder.

Which is ultimately the problem with this draft. The trades down to stockpile picks in 2 and 3 should've been done WAY ahead of time. The fact that they did not do that is disconcerting, just like the retention of Rex was.

There's a massive difference between building a team for the long haul and paying lip service to a lame duck. In this case, this is the ultimate lip service.

Rex has established that his utter lack of offensive acumen or care for it will never allow him to win a Super Bowl as a head coach. It's that simple. The picks were made by Rex since he's hanging by a thread with a roster of complete trash and the owner feels he should also cow to Rex.

Which is so frustrating: This team won't win squat until Woody Johnson sells the team or dies.

And while Milliner will be good, how long is he honestly going to last? He's half bionic already before he steps on the field. You cannot tell me that nobody wanted him, that the 9th pick couldn't have been shopped with how important a good CB in a rookie contract is to teams with real Super Bowl aspirations.
    SOJF

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    but with all the needs this team needs, why not take a player that can make an impact for years to come...we still have 6 picks left and we will have 12 picks in 2014.....taking BAP is smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Agreed, I just did not think CB was a glaring hole in the starting lineup considering how the secondary played last year after Revis went down, plus the kid will be unfairly compared, even though Revis will cost +55MM more than Milliner over the next four years...

OG and OLB/Safety would have been more aligned with need and I think there was value at 9 and 13 to fill holes but Idzik held to his board and selected BPA

It is the better long term strategy but different for the Jets, it will take fans some time to adjust

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    SOJF
    SOJF's are happy losing AFC Championships. Apparently ownership is too.

SOJF's were happy with Tannenbaum's extension and drafting of Sanchez. Hurrrdurrrrrr.

SOJF's eat the "BAP" Kool Aid Rex's underling Idzik fed you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    B

I understand they took the best players on their board which i am in favor of in the 1st round. I still not sure how we are going to make the best use of coples, wilkerson and richardson though. Others on here are pretty confident that rex will find a way. I'm not so sure.
    This. If Coples can make a successful transition to OLB in the rush package, it's an A. If not, it's simply value

Struggled between C and D.

This isn't 1993 anymore. Cornerbacks don't win championships. There's no reason to take Dee Milliner at No.9. Even so, I'm OKAY with that pick, I guess, but the Sheldon Richardson pick? No. Obviously we are going to now switch to a 43 front, but who are the DE's? Coples? At UNC he was better as a 43 DT than he was an end. Wilkerson? At 300 bills? Yeah, I don't think so. Someone's playing out of place. My guess is Coples. I know Richardson was a dominant DT at Missouri, but the pass rush would have been much more improved with an OLB

OH, and I can't wait to see our dynamic offense on the field. Ha.

Might as well come up to the podium and say "Rex Ryan selects" because he's calling the shots in the draft.

SOJF's were happy with Tannenbaum's extension and drafting of Sanchez. Hurrrdurrrrrr.

not buying any of that. Some posters usually whine about anything and everything so it's hard to take those opinions seriously. Sorry, but that's what happens when all some people do is complain.

Our biggest needs were OLB, G & TE. We got none.
    But I gave our front office the benefit of the doubt with a 'D' instead of an 'F'.
    Always the optimist.

For those who think our D was upgraded yesterday

Needed its own thread

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    C

Two apparently talented players., at positions I don't see as needs.

Would have been better used drafting O (Warmack and Eifert) or trading down a la the Pats, gaining 3 (THREE!) mid-round picks.

If both Milliner and Richardson become everydown starters and we can aquire somethng to help the O in 2 thru 5, maybe a B.
    Agree mostly. CB was a need. DT not unless they are changing to a 4-3 base(and even then not so much)

I would list oline as the greatest need.

I gave it a C because they did nothing particularly good or bad. They stayed put and picked two guys on their board.
    Last edited by Piper; 04-26-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    not buying any of that. Some posters usually whine about anything and everything so it's hard to take those opinions seriously. Sorry, but that's what happens when all some people do is complain.
    And some people have endless optimism for a team that hasn't warranted any of it since the drafting of Joe Namath.

DT and CB were both huge needs.

C

Only because the quality of the players is good, even if they were the completely wrong picks to make at the time. They needed to go O-line, most of us expected them to, most of the talking heads expected them to, and what do they come away with? A CB and a DT...

STUPID!

Good players, but STUPID!

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    DT and CB were both huge needs.
    Somethings wrong when you draft d-lineman year after year and it's still a need.

Secondary did ok last year w/o Revis so I don't see how CB was a huge need over an O-lineman,

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Jason Cole at Yahoo thinks we were winners:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--20...055020573.html

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan Dee Milliner holds up a Jets jersey after being selected ninth overall.

(AP)The maligned Jets coach is probably still a dead man walking this season, but at least he got two players for the defense, which is his baby. Dee Milliner was the top-rated cornerback in the draft and will now fill the spot vacated by the loss of Darrelle Revis. With defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, Ryan got another young lineman to help a group that was in transition. If Ryan is going to save his job, his best shot is to do it with defense. Sure, the Jets would have liked to get wide receiver Tavon Austin, but this was a pretty good haul.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    We are going to be so bad on offense, the league may have to step in and run the team.
    Best line this month. I literally laughed out loud upon reading this.

I wanted Warmack but I still give this round an A. BPA is the only philosophy!

All Pro

SOJF would have us take a QB in the first round when every analyst worth their weight said there was no true first round QB.

BUT HEY!!!!! We would have taken a QB though!!!!