View Poll Results: What grade would you give the Jets for the first round?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

36 15.00%
  • B

104 43.33%
  • C

53 22.08%
  • D

27 11.25%
  • F

20 8.33%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Grade the Jets First Round

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft I give a D

I give the Revis trade an F-------

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    any time you take BPA it's an A move. Milliner is a game-changer and suitable replacement for Revis. I'm really excited about Richardson, though... the guy is an absolute beast. An extremely rare combination of size, speed and strength. I'm surprised he even fell that low.

The Jets will surely draft offense from this point forward, and this draft is deep with mid-round talent.

I'm not worried at all.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please stop saying they should have traded down. They tried to, at both 9 and 13. There were traders to trade with! The Rams jumped over them because they were sure the Jets were taking Austin, the low 20's trade between Vikings and Pats did not exist at 9 or 13.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    any time you take BPA it's an A move. Milliner is a game-changer and suitable replacement for Revis. I'm really excited about Richardson, though... the guy is an absolute beast. An extremely rare combination of size, speed and strength. I'm surprised he even fell that low.

The Jets will surely draft offense from this point forward, and this draft is deep with mid-round talent.

I'm not worried at all.
    BAP is not always the best way to build a team. Look at the Rams last year. Knew that BAP was RGIII so they traded out of the pick. We should have traded both picks and picked up the extra picks to build our depleted roster.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    B

Richardson is fine. After watching some tape I'm okay with this-

Milliner is a good player who can develop. But I still think CB was the wrong position to address.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    BAP is not always the best way to build a team. Look at the Rams last year. Knew that BAP was RGIII so they traded out of the pick. We should have traded both picks and picked up the extra picks to build our depleted roster.
    There were no suitors for a trade-down.

I agree with the BPA strategy, overall. What people don't realize, either, is that CB and DT ARE holes, and we certainly addressed them adequately, methinks. Milliner-Cro-Wilson will be a strong secondary, and a frontline of Wilk-Coples-Ellis-Richardson has the potential to be dangerous for years to come. Not to mention that we can still find decent LB and safety talent deep in the draft to supplement what we already have.

At this point, Idzik is basically conceding 2013 and has decided to lay low on drafting offensive playmakers until we find ourselves a franchise QB. This likely isn't to happen until 2014. Not unless you wanted to take a gamble on Smith (who nobody took on R1, btw) or Manuel (who the Bills reached for because Fitzpatrick is awful).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    What will it take to understand there were NO TRADING PARTNERS

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    People just don't get it.....

The idea is to just get the best talent possible, when rebuilding as much as we are

Who cares about plugging holes with inferior players on a team that won't contend anyway??

These picks were made for the longhaul, not 2013.....stop being so shortsighted, damn
    This. End thread.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    What will it take to understand there were NO TRADING PARTNERS
    Probably someone who could say that based on facts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    It's a B.

They addressed needs, got highly graded players who are not likely to bust. This draft doesn't offer much, they could have done things a little different that would look good to the mock drafters, but ultimately they got guys that will make a difference.
    I have no trouble with Milliner. In fact I love it and his attitude. Richardson while a hell of a talent is a bit of a headscratcher. I know there was a lot of interest in him. Maybe there is a future trade possibility? I just don;t know why you would draft a posiion you are alreay deep in.

A for Milliner. C for Richardson. B average.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I give it a B/B-.

Face it, offense was not the strength of this draft. The Jets knew this and after the pass rushers and Austin were taken the Jets had go with BPA.

That's the truth. It has little to do with Rex Ryan. It has to do with the board and how it was laid out.

I expect them to go offense tomorrow in the 2nd and 3rd round.
    I agree. After some tackles, guards and a couple of WR, why would you go and draft mediocre offensive players when you can have very good defensive players? Mid round O players we can get today or tomorrow are not much different then what was available when the Jets picked.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    At first I gave the picks a C; however, the more I read and see highlight videos on these guys the more I'm thinking B+. I wanted Warmack and got Millner. So time will tell what the Jets will do at Guard. A tall big TE would have been nice but there are still a few rounds left.

Anybody that knows all the answers just has to look at history. The Draft is not a guarantee. **** happens enters into the equation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    More than 50% of our fans grading the picks as a C or worse.

Ouch!
    No. More like 66-67% graded it A or B.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    yeah, but neither player has made the probowl yet. F.
    By that logic, everyone's first round picks were F's. The entire first round of the NFL draft was an F.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    That's the problem. They needed a GM, not another stooge who cows to Rex. That's what's happening here.

The first round of this draft was relatively flat. Everybody's saying "reach for need," but the truth is, there honestly was no reaching. The talent level was relatively flat throughout.

Warmack at 9 would've been entirely acceptable at 9.

And yet, Richardson looks like more of a reach than just about anybody, even Ansah. Seriously. Lotuelei looks to be a more dominant player in the long term. Richardson is actually LESS appealing than Kenrick Ellis was 2 years ago as a 3rd rounder.

Which is ultimately the problem with this draft. The trades down to stockpile picks in 2 and 3 should've been done WAY ahead of time. The fact that they did not do that is disconcerting, just like the retention of Rex was.

There's a massive difference between building a team for the long haul and paying lip service to a lame duck. In this case, this is the ultimate lip service.

Rex has established that his utter lack of offensive acumen or care for it will never allow him to win a Super Bowl as a head coach. It's that simple. The picks were made by Rex since he's hanging by a thread with a roster of complete trash and the owner feels he should also cow to Rex.

Which is so frustrating: This team won't win squat until Woody Johnson sells the team or dies.

And while Milliner will be good, how long is he honestly going to last? He's half bionic already before he steps on the field. You cannot tell me that nobody wanted him, that the 9th pick couldn't have been shopped with how important a good CB in a rookie contract is to teams with real Super Bowl aspirations.
    1. What proof do you have? Because the 2 best players on their board wer D?

2. Isn't Warmack a guard? Had we drafted him at 9 we would be hearing you never draft a guard in the 1st round.

3. Really? Lotelelei looks liks a better long term solution? Even with his heart situation? Really?

4. Good logic there. You cry about Millineck's health but don't bother with Lotelelei's because it makes your point look good. How about come consistency if you are going to make a point?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    The only thing we know for sure is that we need a new GM, this guy is an idiot. We are back to square one.
    you ought to apply for the job. You seem to know more then our GM and would be a natural in the position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I chose C. I'm trying as hard as I can to see that these were the best guys for us to take, but only time will tell on that.

My two questions to the people screaming you have to go BPA :

1) How do any of us know these were the Best Players Available?
    2) If the BPA in Rounds 2 through 7 are all DL / CB, do we pick them all?

I think overall my concern is that I thought the Jets were "moving on" in a sense - not prioritizing positions like CB, and here we go spend another top pick on one. We now have three first round corners on the team. Only last week I was getting told that CB is a low priority position in the modern game, the draft is very deep at CB, we can get a good one in later rounds ... now I'm supposed to jump for joy we picked one at #9? Well, I'm going to wait until Milliner's play ON THE FIELD wins me over. Hence the neutral grade at the moment.

Also, with 3 1st rounders and a 3rd rounder on the DL, plus the defensive gurus in Rex & Thurman, I should be able to look forward to the most amazing DL play over the next three years. I'll be delighted if it comes to pass, but until I actually see it I'm still going to feel that it's more talk and "potential" than it is actual production. You want your 1st rounders to be day 1 starters, especially those at the top of the round - will Richardson be starting Day 1? Will he be starting by Week 16? Coples struggled to get on the field last year, and although he improved later in the year, I seriously hope Richardson doesn't follow that same route, otherwise I'll feel we could have done better with that pick.

Everyone says there were no offensive play makers at that spot, but Eifert went 8 picks later - not a big difference by any stretch - and people are raving about his "game changing ability". That's something this team sorely needed. Still does. Hopefully Day 2 will get us some help there.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Walter Football.com had both picks as top 16 picks in round one so I feel the Jets graded out to a B. If Milliner works out as a starter day one and Richardson's a beast, we could probably grade a bit higher even though I wanted Warmack and Eifert...........