Thread: The Richardson move could mean Coples moves outside and plays more LB

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The Richardson move could mean Coples moves outside and plays more LB

This move could mean Rex may move Coples to play more OLB, he could be ready for it. It will be interesting to see what Coples has done this off-season. I read that he's done MMA training this off-season, he could have reshaped himself putting himself closer to the player he was compared to when drafted in Peppers.

I could see Coples playing both DE and OLB with Richardson rotating at DT and DE in the 3-4 and 4-6 shemes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How the hell can Anyone as big as Coples play LB?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    How the hell can Anyone as big as Coples play LB?
    Guess who ran this pro day? Your Rex Ryan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQmysrkRd3o

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Guess who ran this pro day? Your Rex Ryan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQmysrkRd3o
    Please don't give me ownership of Rex. I'm fed up drafting the same position every year. I guess we can cut Cromartie me t year and save the $9M. I just cannot believe what we did and did not do today.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please don't give me ownership of Rex. I'm fed up drafting the same position every year. I guess we can cut Cromartie me t year and save the $9M. I just cannot believe what we did and did not do today.
    what. you asked how someone as big as Coples can play OLB. People have mentioned Rex's comments. I just showed you his Pro Day. It's pretty obvious. Coples can physically play standup OLB if that is what he has been committed to.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets move last years number 1 pick to a different position to make room for our new number 1 pick, this is a great strategy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure Giants fans felt the same about JPP and having to suffer through another SB win. I am perplexed as well but I know enough to admit I don't have all the answers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Lets move last years number 1 pick to a different position to make room for our new number 1 pick, this is a great strategy.
    Thank you. A pro day is one thing. Having a guy close to 290lbs trying to play standing up is ridiculous. Mario Williams could do it why the hell do we think Coples can do it.

I really think this team is going to go through a long rebuilding period. I was reserved for a 2 year project. Now, I don't even see the light at the end of tunnel. We still have nothing on offense. It's not like using the top in next years draft on a QB when we still don't even have short term solutions at either guard position, RT, TE and our R. And WR corp are probably the worst in the league.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Except he was worked out on his pro day at OLB and played some OLB standing up in college.

He's a pass rusher, and he can play both with his hand in the dirt and standing up, and he can move inside.

He's actually quite versatile, he can very easily play in a Peppers/Suggs role in Rex' scheme.

But he, let's ***** and make some stupid off the wall comment as if the statement suggested we should move him to defensive back, that's more fun to do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the contrary, I think you'll see the jets play more 46, and 4-3 + have Richardson play standing up as a 3-4 OLB on passing downs... He's more athletic than Coples and I think part of the reason the Jets brought him in was his outstanding motor, combine that with Wilkerson's hustle and Coples will be forced to play harder to keep up...

The Jets defensive line could be very nasty down the road, maybe as early as this year...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. A pro day is one thing. Having a guy close to 290lbs trying to play standing up is ridiculous. Mario Williams could do it why the hell do we think Coples can do it.

I really think this team is going to go through a long rebuilding period. I was reserved for a 2 year project. Now, I don't even see the light at the end of tunnel. We still have nothing on offense. It's not like using the top in next years draft on a QB when we still don't even have short term solutions at either guard position, RT, TE and our R. And WR corp are probably the worst in the league.

No, just no.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

No, just no.
    haha

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

And this is why you are not an NFL GM.....
    We need a Guard, we have a RT, and we need a TE and a WR.

So, with this, we should have drafted by need, right? That is how football teams stay mired in mediocrity. If you keep reaching for players, you don't get value when you draft. This is also not a one year fix. You can't do EVERYTHING in one draft. The Jets still have six more picks. What happens if they go Robert Woods, Jordan Reed, and Alvin Bailey the next three picks? There are three of your needs filled right there.

Problem is, what if the value says pick a LB, FS, and a RB? What if Alex Okafor, Jonathon Franklin drop? What if (never will, but what if) Sam Montgomery was there still in the 4th round? Would you by-pass him to pick a guard just because you still need one?