Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets had Milliner and Richardson in their Top 4 Overall - Idzik

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Wilson was blind luck. Seattle paid big money for Flynn to start, they paid him nicely and expected him to play. Wilson was a developmental pick that they struck gold with. Seattle also trade for Lynch, threw big free agent dollars at Rice and Miller, drafted Tate early, and spent 1st round on OL. Their strategy was never 5 straight 1st round picks on CB and DL. You know whose strategy that is? The same team who is about to have a worse record than the year before for now the 4th straight year.
    They took OL with one of their first 2 picks for 3 straight years, including 2 OL with their first 2 picks 2 years ago. They built their trenches and expanded out from there. Rarely taking skill position players early. The Jets could take a WR i round 2 tomorrow and he'd be about 20 spots higher than where Golden Tate went.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johhny Johnson View Post
    Izdiks a cap guy not a personnel guy..I do agree that when youre rebuilding and as bad as we are you take bpa not need because theyres a need just about everywhere anyway..

Were they bpa? they think so well see..ive seen some scouts say Millner is a product of the Bama system and nothing more then a decent nickel corner well see..
    So let's discuss the BPA for a second. If we had the number 1 pick and Fisher was our top guy, do we take a LT when we already have a LT? Let say the Viking were sitting at 2 last year and had Ruchardson sitting there? Did they take Richardson? Would they have had they not traded the pick?

What about when Aaron Rodgers was sliding? He was obviously the BAP, but teams that already were happy with their QB were not taking BAP.

It's one thing to say, yes we loved Milliner. But isn't taking a corner a bit of a luxury pick when we have everyone here that played the last have of last season? Specially when everyone us calling is an expansion team. And I understand they might be a slight exaggeration, but it's actually not that big of an exaggeration.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...00-draft-board

CBS has Milliner and Richardson at 4 and 10 overall respectively. Just one opinion. According to this though, the Jets got great value using the 9th and 13th picks on these guys.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    They took OL with one of their first 2 picks for 3 straight years, including 2 OL with their first 2 picks 2 years ago. They built their trenches and expanded out from there. Rarely taking skill position players early. The Jets could take a WR i round 2 tomorrow and he'd be about 20 spots higher than where Golden Tate went.
    IMO, the only WR we needed was Austin. Only because he was such an upgrade over what we have. I could have been convinced with Hopkins because Holmes is soon to be gone.

I cannot believe we couldn't parlay those two picks into at least two additional picks. I don't believe for a second that there were no opportunities because teams were still trading up the whole night. Including SF just 3 picks behind us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    So let's discuss the BPA for a second. If we had the number 1 pick and Fisher was our top guy, do we take a LT when we already have a LT? Let say the Viking were sitting at 2 last year and had Ruchardson sitting there? Did they take Richardson? Would they have had they not traded the pick?

What about when Aaron Rodgers was sliding? He was obviously the BAP, but teams that already were happy with their QB were not taking BAP.

It's one thing to say, yes we loved Milliner. But isn't taking a corner a bit of a luxury pick when we have everyone here that played the last have of last season? Specially when everyone us calling is an expansion team. And I understand they might be a slight exaggeration, but it's actually not that big of an exaggeration.
    Who knows, we might have taken a LT. I think Dion Jordan would be our pick if we had the #1 and couldn't trade out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a company line, damage control leak. If Richardson is viewed so highly, why did they try to trade down?

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not a luxury pick when Wilson is in the final year of his contract and Cromartie can be cut after this year to save $10 million against the cap. The Jets needed someone who can develop pretty quickly into a #1 CB so they don't have to shell out $8-$10 million per year to Cromartie after this season. When you're a GM you don't just look 1 year ahead, you look 3-4 years ahead at all times. You may think this is a luxury now but after the season when Wilson is gone and the Jets have to decide whether or not to keep Cromartie you and everyone else b*tching about this move will be glad that they took Milliner at #9.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, the only WR we needed was Austin. Only because he was such an upgrade over what we have. I could have been convinced with Hopkins because Holmes is soon to be gone.

I cannot believe we couldn't parlay those two picks into at least two additional picks. I don't believe for a second that there were no opportunities because teams were still trading up the whole night. Including SF just 3 picks behind us.
    I agree, was just saying the WR thing to show that if Golden Tate is what people what, Golden Tate can still be had.

I agree, I woud have liked to possibly move back as well, but, if your payers are there, take them. I am not ready to right off this draft just yet, I think there is a plan in place. I could be wrong there, but I really do see some Seahawk similarities. Building a few strong units, use those as your building blocks and piece together from there. I think if we go Safety in Round 2 we have solid DL and secondary units, and could be a 3rd round guard from a decent OL unit. Obviously the important thing is to hit in these rounds and hopefully find a steal later on somewhere.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    milliner was a top 5 pick up until a few days ago....doctors said he will be fine for trainign camp....the man was solid in college and missed no games....too much is made about these so called reports....I can't beleive we got milliner and the dt from missouri is a terror who plays angry.....2 damn god picks.....I want to see some offense now and also a safety.....I would be happy with UNC RB Giovani.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I don't doubt it. I am sure most teams with picks in the top 15 feel the same way since most draft boards vary, especially in this draft.

Happy with the picks, but obviously the Jury will be out on these guys until camp opens. my concern is Milliner's health.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad we did not take austin..also glad he is not in the division.....i look at both mingo and jordan...undersized and one dimensional.....pleased with the jets taking 2 players which I feel were more SAFE.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    The other 2 were probably Austin and Mingo.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    as an SEC man I have seen both players up close and personal....mizzou was a 1st year sec team.....we def lucked out with milliner...people need to really youtube Richardson....this cat plays angry and will be a force...our secondary fared well without revis and now we have an instant starter in milliner and wilson can go back to the nickel.....I am very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Because they drafted defense? You are speculating.

If we had taken Jordan at 9 (assuming he dropped) and Milliner at 13 (assuming he dropped) would you be saying the same thing? What if the Jets had Richardson ranked higher than Jordan?

And what if he did? Did Rex lead us in the wrong direction with the Coples and Wilkerson picks?

What offensive players did you want? The guys that were taken in the 20's?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony Pauline had Milliner as the 7th best player over all and the top corner. He had Richardson as the 13th best player overall and the 3rd best DT. We definitely went BAP and supposedly Idzik's draft philosophy is to draft defense first.

We were horrible against the run last year which is unacceptable and I imagine Richardson will help with that. As Idzik said, "we're not done." Let's see what offensive players we pick up in the rest of the draft. His philosophy is to get offensive linemen in the later rounds. There are good guards left - Warford, Thomas, Winters, Watford, Bailey. All the running backs are still there and so are the wideouts (except for Austin and Patterson)

We all (myself included) have favorite college players, picks we think the team should make, and maybe do some mock drafts. When our favorites aren't picked, drafted by our division rivals or worse, we pass them by we tend to get angry and generally act on emotion.

Let's see how it all pans out.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll trust the judgement of Ryan and Idzik over Mayock any day.

Really. Mayock and others had Hayden rated higher. So let me ask you something: is Milliner so much better than Rhodes or Trufant that it warrants taking him at 9? How about taking Jamar Taylor or Bannks at 39?

Milliner BETTER be a pro bowl corner or he is not going to make it in NY.

And Idzik better hope both these players pan out or he is finished.

This reminds me of Pioli's first draft in KC. Everybody applauded him for taking the safest pick in the draft in Tyson Jackson. Jackson did not play a game changing position and He did not live up to the hype, and Pioli is unemployed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Tony Pauline had Milliner as the 7th best player over all and the top corner. He had Richardson as the 13th best player overall and the 3rd best DT. We definitely went BAP and supposedly Idzik's draft philosophy is to draft defense first.

We were horrible against the run last year which is unacceptable and I imagine Richardson will help with that. As Idzik said, "we're not done." Let's see what offensive players we pick up in the rest of the draft. His philosophy is to get offensive linemen in the later rounds. There are good guards left - Warford, Thomas, Winters, Watford, Bailey. All the running backs are still there and so are the wideouts (except for Austin and Patterson)

We all (myself included) have favorite college players, picks we think the team should make, and maybe do some mock drafts. When our favorites aren't picked, drafted by our division rivals or worse, we pass them by we tend to get angry and generally act on emotion.

Let's see how it all pans out.
    Great post!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Who knows, we might have taken a LT. I think Dion Jordan would be our pick if we had the #1 and couldn't trade out.
    I wasn't talking about taking a player where we had a gaping hole. I was referring to taking a nickel corner at 9 or trading the pick.

If KC had two great tackles and they determined Fisher was head and shoulders better than everyone else, they still wouldn't have taken him. What we did tonight did not improve this team in 2013. And I find that absolutely mind boggling.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    exactly and we have TWELVE picks in the 2014 draft.....Jets took best available player and they both may have an instant impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrebet Crunch View Post
    Rex had nothing to do with this. It was the best talent on the board. Why draft some second rate offensive player just to try to fill a hole that will need filling again in 2 years. OL can be drafted in later rounds.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't talking about taking a player where we had a gaping hole. I was referring to taking a nickel corner at 9 or trading the pick.

If KC had two great tackles and they determined Fisher was head and shoulders better than everyone else, they still wouldn't have taken him. What we did tonight did not improve this team in 2013. And I find that absolutely mind boggling.
    Its a rebuild without saying it..I dont think Izdik expects this team to contend next year and with a few big time qb's next year in the draft he probably thinks its not the worst time to have a "rebuild" year and lose some games..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    It's not a luxury pick when Wilson is in the final year of his contract and Cromartie can be cut after this year to save $10 million against the cap. The Jets needed someone who can develop pretty quickly into a #1 CB so they don't have to shell out $8-$10 million per year to Cromartie after this season. When you're a GM you don't just look 1 year ahead, you look 3-4 years ahead at all times. You may think this is a luxury now but after the season when Wilson is gone and the Jets have to decide whether or not to keep Cromartie you and everyone else b*tching about this move will be glad that they took Milliner at #9.
    It's a luxury pick at 9. We could have traded back and taken Trufant, Rhodes, or Jamar Taylor.

Now if Miiliner and Richardson are pro bowl type players then fine. But we are never going back to the playoffs with our offense. And saying a QB next year will solve it is absolutely wrong. Drafting a QB and throwing him to the wolves with what we have is setting him up to fail. No team with a rookie QB last year did that with the exception of the Dolphins. And they made up for it this year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

And how many of those teams are now kicking themselves for doing so?

Are really this dumb, or are you just trolling right now?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Every GM says the same BS every year, yeah we got the guys we wanted and had ranked higher.

If you had Richardson ranked in your top 4 you have no business running or even working for an nfl team. That pick was a joke
    I think your WAY OFF BASE. Richardson is a beast, watch his game tape against Alabama. He has NO weaknesses.