Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jets had Milliner and Richardson in their Top 4 Overall - Idzik

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Sounds like a company line, damage control leak. If Richardson is viewed so highly, why did they try to trade down?
    They probably tried to trade down, but no one wanted to give up picks to move up to 13. Jets probably would have jumped on the Niners 1st and 2nd picks for the 13th.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Rex Ryan had too much input on the Jets draft board
    this.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRAGE View Post
    hmmm. what does that say about our scouts?
    They didn't see the conspiracy between the Bills and Rams.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    They took OL with one of their first 2 picks for 3 straight years, including 2 OL with their first 2 picks 2 years ago. They built their trenches and expanded out from there. Rarely taking skill position players early. The Jets could take a WR i round 2 tomorrow and he'd be about 20 spots higher than where Golden Tate went.
    Exactly and our Jets haven't take an offensive lineman in round 1 since D'Brick in 2006 and other than Sanchez and Keller have picked defensively in every 1st round since.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    The other two players in the Jets Top 4 (along with Milliner & Richardson) were Tavon Austin and Chance Warmack.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The other two players in the Jets Top 4 (along with Milliner & Richardson) were Tavon Austin and Chance Warmack.
    So Richardson was number 3 I take it, little hard to buy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Warmack over Cooper? I am a little shocked by that.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Makes perfect sense given Rex's influence on the draft board -> he loves ground pound smash mouth. Chance between Brick and Mangold would have enabled a terrific run game.

This is what frustrates me to death about last night.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryu79 View Post
    Makes perfect sense given Rex's influence on the draft board -> he loves ground pound smash mouth. Chance between Brick and Mangold would have enabled a terrific run game.

This is what frustrates me to death about last night.
    Interesting thought. I wonder what Mornhinweg makes of it all - Cooper looks custom-built to be an OG in the WCO to my eyes, while Warmack is more of the old school ground and pound type.

It will be fascinating to see how the remainder of the draft goes. We really need pass-rushers and offensive talent, but will we get it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Every GM says the same BS every year, yeah we got the guys we wanted and had ranked higher.

If you had Richardson ranked in your top 4 you have no business running or even working for an nfl team. That pick was a joke
    Why would they take someone who was lower on their board. The crucial thing for us is that Milliner was rated higher than Warmack, and Richardson was rated higher than Star or Floyd (who wasn't a good fit for us anyway). Why is that a joke? It's perfectly reasonable.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    "So I guess we're not getting any 1st round offensive talent this year?"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Who says it was BPA? Idzik?

Those two weren't the BPA to me. You don't find it even the least bit coincidental that we picked up a CB at 9?
    He was definitely BPA on te Jets board. So was Richardson. Both guys were 93 plus rated players and pretty much top 10 on most draft rankings. The only thing fans can ***** about is that they weren't our biggest need positions, but I look at the fact that Idzik stuck with going BPA as a good thing. Shows he isn't trying for a quick fix and is looking big picture.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex likes DTs like BB likes TEs. (lol)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    What's kinda weird to me is that Richardson and Warmack must have been close as far as the Jets eating goes, and Warmack fills a bigger need. I guess they see DL as being much more valuable position. Idzik loves drafting defense early, maybe he sees Richardson as our Warren Saap.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Thank you. Milliner wasn't even the best corner in the draft by MANY different scouts. But he was our #2 player in the entire F'N draft???

I cannot believe it but it's the 1980s all over again. I'm having flash backs of Haight, Vick, and Jeff Lageman all over again.

Our FO is more into the shock value of the pick rather than building the team. History is repeating itself. At this point, I'd take Richard Todd right about now.
    Leon Hall was the top rated corner in the draft when we drafted Revis.......

Howd that work out? Ill give you a hint...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets draft board sucks.

Draft two positions of strength and ignore positions of weakness. Wonderful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    The Jets draft board sucks.

Draft two positions of strength and ignore positions of weakness. Wonderful.
    Exactly. Also please fire the scouting department if they had Richardson in the top 4 of their big board. No draft experts had him that high. Sounds like GM talk to me to try to sell a questionable pick to an indignant fanbase

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously though, what would you expect him to say?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing it was Austin, Dee, Warmack, Richardson.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scouts' take on Milliner, Richardson

By Rich Cimini

In recent weeks, and again after the first round, I talked to several personnel types on a number of players, including CB Dee Milliner and DT Sheldon Richardson. Here's a compilation of opinions:

On Milliner: "I wouldn't hesitate taking him in the top 10, even top five. He's a great kid. He works his (butt) off. ... He's not a shutdown corner, but he's real smart. He can make all the calls and adjustments. When [Nick] Saban says, 'I really like this guy,' you can take it to the bank. ... He'll have a delayed offseason (because of shoulder surgery), but I think he'll be ready to go for the preseason. There are some medical concerns, but I think he's been cleared by most teams. ... He's not [Darrelle] Revis. He's a good player, but I don't think he's a great player. I'd predict he starts over Kyle Wilson. He's a solid starter, but not a Pro-Bowl talent."

On Richardson: "Everybody in our organization liked him as a player. We had a first-round grade on him. ... There are some off-the-field issues, just attitude and maturity in his interviews. He didn't always get along with his coaches. ... He's really quick and strong. He has long arms and he plays from sideline to sideline. ... He's versatile. He can play in a couple different spots on the defensive line. ... We liked him, but he's kind of a goof ball. We had concerns about his work habits. ... So where does this guy play in that front? ... He's a junior-college kid [College of Sequoias, Calif.]. There are maturity, leadership and consistency concerns."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ner-richardson