Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Jets had Milliner and Richardson in their Top 4 Overall - Idzik

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Every year we have the same arguments. And panic. Calm the f*** down already, people!

I, too, was surprised that we went defense with both picks when our defense was legitimately respectable and our offense was a bad, bad joke. Still, they look like good players. Time will tell. Regardless:

1. Nobody, from the best, most informed scout to the most ignorant person in the word, know show ANY of these players will pan out. Time will tell.

2. Plenty of picks to get some high value offensive players still left on the board.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I was surprised that Ray Lucas really liked the pick.
    Bill Polian and Tood McShay loved the picks! But what do they know? So many here know more then them. In their minds they are true legends of the draft! How come none of these arm chair GMs has been hired by an NFL team yet?

FYI...Gil Brandt's writeups from his Final Top 100

6) Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
    Milliner is a very good blitzer; he reminds me of Pittsburgh Steelers CB Ike Taylor when he comes off the corner. He's also very instinctive. There are guys who can cover but aren't instinctive; for example, they don't time their jumps right, giving their man room to make a play. You don't see Milliner letting that kind of thing happen.

15) Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
    One thing I really like about Richardson: When I asked him why he went to junior college, he told me it was because he didn't pay enough attention to academics in high school, and he said he'd learned his lesson. It stands out when a guy owns up to something like that. He's also strong, long-armed, athletic and quick, and he plays hard.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=255187

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...00-draft-board

CBS has Milliner and Richardson at 4 and 10 overall respectively. Just one opinion. According to this though, the Jets got great value using the 9th and 13th picks on these guys.

It wasn't long ago that Milliner was seriously talked about as having a great chance to be the first ever CB to go No 1 overall.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisChrusher#40 View Post
    Every year we have the same arguments. And panic. Calm the f*** down already, people!

I, too, was surprised that we went defense with both picks when our defense was legitimately respectable and our offense was a bad, bad joke. Still, they look like good players. Time will tell. Regardless:

1. Nobody, from the best, most informed scout to the most ignorant person in the word, know show ANY of these players will pan out. Time will tell.

2. Plenty of picks to get some high value offensive players still left on the board.
    I agree with you

In fact if you just think about it for a second,everyone knows this team needs offence badly so if Idzik and the draft team had the guts to go defence with those 2 picks it tells me that they really,really loved both guys and that they won't 'reach' for inferior talent just because of need...that's exactly how we drafted guys like Roger Vick and this board would've been in even greater uproar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_TFY View Post
    will get into this later but just found out; Cooper was their guy at 9...

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    So let's discuss the BPA for a second. If we had the number 1 pick and Fisher was our top guy, do we take a LT when we already have a LT? Let say the Viking were sitting at 2 last year and had Ruchardson sitting there? Did they take Richardson? Would they have had they not traded the pick?

What about when Aaron Rodgers was sliding? He was obviously the BAP, but teams that already were happy with their QB were not taking BAP.

It's one thing to say, yes we loved Milliner. But isn't taking a corner a bit of a luxury pick when we have everyone here that played the last have of last season? Specially when everyone us calling is an expansion team. And I understand they might be a slight exaggeration, but it's actually not that big of an exaggeration.
    I think BPA means at the position that team feels they have a need or can improve on. So taking a QB when you already have a HOF at that position very high is unusual. Notice all the noise when the Packers took Rodgers and still had Farvre.
    Last edited by wepnx; 04-26-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    You need to have role players fill in - in places where you are strong. Coples and Wilk are enough first round picks on the line -

Cromartie - is enough for a number 1 - have to fill in the number two with role players.

You have a team so devoid of talent at almost every level on offense that you can NOT simply ignore that.

Why not Warmack? Why not trade back? (get the best you can and move on)
    Reach for the TE wouldn't have been much of a reach.
    You mean get fleeced just like the Raiders that f***ed up the draft for more than one team by getting only one second rounder? This board would have been screaming bloody murder if the Jets traded the two picks for bottom of the first picks and second round picks. They tried to trade but with the Raiders screwing it up every team except the Rams who knew the Jets were picking Austin, would not give up more picks. What did you want them to do trade for just the sake of trading?
    Last edited by wepnx; 04-26-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I agree.

BPA is a nice thought but it has to be combined with need to some extent. You look at a team completely filled with holes except for two positions. CB and DL.

G, T, TE, WR, OLB, S, MLB even......

Taking one of those two because you really like the player is one thing, but using both 9 and 13 to take players in the only positions you're solid in shows incompetence to me.
    We certainly aren't solid at CB or DL and the fact is we don't have a quality QB on the team. If I'm the Jets and Tom Brady is still in my division I believe I get more bang for my buck disrupting him than protecting Mark Sanchez or fill in the blank rookie or veteran JAG.

We did sign an FA guard, we will be getting our No. 2 pick from last year back we will probably have Holmes back, we signed a running back who can actually take a swing pass and the draft isn't over.

In a league that throws the ball you need to stop the QB with pass rush and cover. Until the Jets have someone who can actually throw the ball adding great players on O will not have a big payback.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    I think BPA means at the position that team feels they have a need or can improve on. So taking a QB when you already have a HOF at that position very high is unusual. Notice all the noise when the Packers took Rodgers and still had Farvre.
    My only problem was that we took the same position we keep addressing every year. All the while we are making short term fixes at OL and WR. And not fixing them this year. I can understand they wanted Cooper, Jordan, Mingo, or Austin. Instead of making a deal to get out of the pick, we now have a log jam at DL and Corner. Meaning we are going to have a CB and DL on the sideline that are significantly better than our starters at several other positions.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    We certainly aren't solid at CB or DL and the fact is we don't have a quality QB on the team. If I'm the Jets and Tom Brady is still in my division I believe I get more bang for my buck disrupting him than protecting Mark Sanchez or fill in the blank rookie or veteran JAG.

We did sign an FA guard, we will be getting our No. 2 pick from last year back we will probably have Holmes back, we signed a running back who can actually take a swing pass and the draft isn't over.

In a league that throws the ball you need to stop the QB with pass rush and cover. Until the Jets have someone who can actually throw the ball adding great players on O will not have a big payback.
    The guard we signed has been on IR longer than he has played over the last three years. And he isn't getting any younger.

If Rex was such a damn genius, then why do we have to keep giving him top corners and Dlineman? Hell, every team in the league would have a legit defense with the investments we have made. They don't do it because there is two sides to the game and no team wins without getting some production from both.

I'm thinking 1992 Seahawks. Finished with the #1 defense in the league. And won 2 games. That was before the NFL added all the rules for offense.

The guard we signed has been on IR longer than he has played over the last three years. And he isn't getting any younger.

If Rex was such a damn genius, then why do we have to keep giving him top corners and Dlineman? Hell, every team in the league would have a legit defense with the investments we have made. They don't do it because there is two sides to the game and no team wins without getting some production from both.

I'm thinking 1992 Seahawks. Finished with the #1 defense in the league. And won 2 games. That was before the NFL added all the rules for offense.
    The Jets with a solid run game, great D and crappy QB went to back to back AFC Finals under the new rules.

This isn't about Rex it's about building the team. This teams foundation is running the ball and great D. We have a raw kid with great outside speed and Holmes will be returning. We can add OL in this draft and start Gerrard and we field a much better team than we had last year.

My only problem was that we took the same position we keep addressing every year. All the while we are making short term fixes at OL and WR. And not fixing them this year. I can understand they wanted Cooper, Jordan, Mingo, or Austin. Instead of making a deal to get out of the pick, we now have a log jam at DL and Corner. Meaning we are going to have a CB and DL on the sideline that are significantly better than our starters at several other positions.
    There's no logjam at CB. Wilson is just a log.