Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jets had Milliner and Richardson in their Top 4 Overall - Idzik

Quote Originally Posted by NYRAGE View Post
    hmmm. what does that say about our scouts?
    that they did a good job in evaluating the talent available.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I wasn't talking about taking a player where we had a gaping hole. I was referring to taking a nickel corner at 9 or trading the pick.

If KC had two great tackles and they determined Fisher was head and shoulders better than everyone else, they still wouldn't have taken him. What we did tonight did not improve this team in 2013. And I find that absolutely mind boggling.
    Why? On what planet is drafting to improve in 2013 at the expense of the long term (if that's really the dichotomy at play) a good move for the Jets?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Why is his the response just because the Jets took defensive players?

It's so shady

Is Idzik not supposed to evaluate the defensive side of the ball?

What about BPA?

There is no doubt in mind Austin or Mingo is the pick at #9 if both available.

C'mon
    all year long JI screams for a BPA approach and when we finally get it, most of the board has a melt down. LOL. We suck. We REALLY suck. Reading the reactions to this draft... we, as a group of fans, look incredibly stupid.. including the most prolific and/or long time posters here.

So let's discuss the BPA for a second. If we had the number 1 pick and Fisher was our top guy, do we take a LT when we already have a LT? Let say the Viking were sitting at 2 last year and had Ruchardson sitting there? Did they take Richardson? Would they have had they not traded the pick?

What about when Aaron Rodgers was sliding? He was obviously the BAP, but teams that already were happy with their QB were not taking BAP.

It's one thing to say, yes we loved Milliner. But isn't taking a corner a bit of a luxury pick when we have everyone here that played the last have of last season? Specially when everyone us calling is an expansion team. And I understand they might be a slight exaggeration, but it's actually not that big of an exaggeration.
    I agree.

BPA is a nice thought but it has to be combined with need to some extent. You look at a team completely filled with holes except for two positions. CB and DL.

G, T, TE, WR, OLB, S, MLB even......

Taking one of those two because you really like the player is one thing, but using both 9 and 13 to take players in the only positions you're solid in shows incompetence to me.

Hall Of Fame
    I would love to see the Jets draft board for proof. This sounds like BS to me.

Both are good players but neither of them were Top 4 players.

Thank you. Milliner wasn't even the best corner in the draft by MANY different scouts. But he was our #2 player in the entire F'N draft???

I cannot believe it but it's the 1980s all over again. I'm having flash backs of Haight, Vick, and Jeff Lageman all over again.

Our FO is more into the shock value of the pick rather than building the team. History is repeating itself. At this point, I'd take Richard Todd right about now.
    all of the 80's picks you cite were reach picks based on need. Seems to me that now we are finally going BPA. And Milliner was by far the consensus #1 CB in this draft. A few had him #2 but the overwhelming majority rated Milliner the best. He fell to us at 9.

Jets Insider VIP
    Millener was BY MILES the best defensive back in this draft. Way higher on virtually every draft report but Mayocks who loves the guy that nearly died on the field last season.

One report from PFW said the CB position this year was Millener period and then a bunch of other lesser guys.

The problem is for some reason Mayock has a microphone (like Mel Hairdo on ESPN) and the kneejerkers who don't watch any college football believe everythingout of his mouth is biblical

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I would love to see the Jets draft board for proof. This sounds like BS to me.

Both are good players but neither of them were Top 4 players.
    Exactly...They had them rated as high or higher than both tackles, Jordan, Ansah, Austin?

No way...

This reaks of Rex still large and in charge.

Right now, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm in the Idzik is puppet corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Actually looking at tape, I can see why. For a big guy, he has a quick release off the line and is very quick.
    incredibly explosive with a fast first step.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    whats really funny to me is the idiotic posts I see from guys who probably do not watch much college ball and they are making their assumptions on the words of someone they see on tv....I watch as much college ball as I do the pros....common sense clearly states that the J ets drafted 2 good players......some of these posts are down right.....idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Millener was BY MILES the best defensive back in this draft. Way higher on virtually every draft report but Mayocks who loves the guy that nearly died on the field last season.

One report from PFW said the CB position this year was Millener period and then a bunch of other lesser guys.

The problem is for some reason Mayock has a microphone (like Mel Hairdo on ESPN) and the kneejerkers who don't watch any college football believe everythingout of his mouth is biblical

Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    "Head coach Herm Edwards and Pro Bowl defenders John Abraham and Ty Law are gone. Eric Mangini takes over as head coach, and Patrick Ramsey takes over at quarterback. The Jets are as far away from the Super Bowl as they've ever been".

Rick Gosselin - Dallas Morning News
    time to change your sig Bob. The days of your ferociously defending Herm Edwards are long behind us. Let Herm Edwards rest peacefully in his television career.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    but he was the BPA so we have to take him!!!

I don't think it was Rex's call or influence.

Richardson makes more sense for a 4-3 team, than a team with Coples and Wilkenson. This pick will look a lot better next year if Rex is gone and a 4-3 is the base Defense. He he was picked was pretty much where "everyone" had him slotted.

I am not as concerned with Millner's injury history than most. While the schedule is 5 games longer, the reduction in time in pads during the week should allow him to remain healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I agree.

BPA is a nice thought but it has to be combined with need to some extent. You look at a team completely filled with holes except for two positions. CB and DL.

G, T, TE, WR, OLB, S, MLB even......

Taking one of those two because you really like the player is one thing, but using both 9 and 13 to take players in the only positions you're solid in shows incompetence to me.
    How the hell were we solid at those positions? Kyle Wilson? Are you joking man? Wilson sucks and will not get a second contract from the Jets. We definitely had a need at corner. Did you forget we lost Pouha and DeVito? Do you think Ellis on the roster fills the need at DT? Are you serious. I still have hopes for Ellis, but the guy was lost out there last year. Sure there are glaring needs all over this team, some more severe than DT or CB, but the talent available at those slots wasn't worth it for the other positions. Sorry, but don't want Eiffert at pick 13. Don't want a RB there. Don't want Geno Smith there. Don't want Patterson there either. So either Warmack or Richardson or a reach for a pass rusher with a serious medical problem in his spine.

I'll take Richardson, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    How the hell were we solid at those positions? Kyle Wilson? Are you joking man? Wilson sucks and will not get a second contract from the Jets. We definitely had a need at corner. Did you forget we lost Pouha and DeVito? Do you think Ellis on the roster fills the need at DT? Are you serious. I still have hopes for Ellis, but the guy was lost out there last year. Sure there are glaring needs all over this team, some more severe than DT or CB, but the talent available at those slots wasn't worth it for the other positions. Sorry, but don't want Eiffert at pick 13. Don't want a RB there. Don't want Geno Smith there. Don't want Patterson there either. So either Warmack or Richardson or a reach for a pass rusher with a serious medical problem in his spine.

I'll take Richardson, thanks.
    You need to have role players fill in - in places where you are strong. Coples and Wilk are enough first round picks on the line -

Cromartie - is enough for a number 1 - have to fill in the number two with role players.

You have a team so devoid of talent at almost every level on offense that you can NOT simply ignore that.

Why not Warmack? Why not trade back? (get the best you can and move on)
    Reach for the TE wouldn't have been much of a reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If we grab someone like Zach Ertz, Keenan Allen, or Larry Warford tomorrow in the 2nd round, then I'll feel a lot better about today.

Wouldn't be against Geno or Glennon either.
    Glennon in the 2nd would ruin this draft.

What we've done so far is fine. If we hadn't just traded Revis, and we simply selected Milliner people would be psyched.

This was a "fat guy" draft. All the value was in Off and Def line. We drafted just fine last night, unfortunately there just wasn't anything "sexy" about this first round. Look at how it went for all of these teams.

The 2nd round basically started after the first 5 picks.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    You need to have role players fill in - in places where you are strong. Coples and Wilk are enough first round picks on the line -

Cromartie - is enough for a number 1 - have to fill in the number two with role players.

You have a team so devoid of talent at almost every level on offense that you can NOT simply ignore that.

Why not Warmack? Why not trade back? (get the best you can and move on)
    Reach for the TE wouldn't have been much of a reach.
    Who says they are going to ignore other needs? All we saw was 1st round and they selected BPA. There was no WR, RB, QB, or TE worthy of #9 or #13. (Yes, Eiffert that high in the draft is a COLOSSAL reach). I was hoping for a trade back and not sure what they were offered. Look, I really like Warmack too, but they felt that they could get closer value on a guard later in the draft and the talent differential for what they could get at 9 & 13 leaned to defense.

I wish people would hold back all the vitriol until we see what the Jets do in rounds 2, 3, 4 & 6. I trust that they've already sent their 5th to New Orleans based on the Brees video comments, so I won't be expecting a RB pick. Safety, OLB, OL, TE, QB, ILB are now the "needs" for the rest of the draft (and RB if we didn't trade the 5th for Ivory). Do I expect all of those needs to be filled? Of course not. But undoubtedly, when those needs align with the best remaining available talent when the Jets number is called, you can expect the pick to jive with need. For example, do you take Ertz at 39 and wait until the 4th for a QB? I think so, considering the remaining QBs are all middling talent and not all that different from a talent prospect.
    Last edited by Dcat; 04-26-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    ertz and escobar are still available in round two along with some very talented wide receivers.

Who says they are going to ignore other needs? All we saw was 1st round and they selected BPA. There was no WR, RB, QB, or TE worthy of #9 or #13. (Yes, Eiffert that high in the draft is a COLOSSAL reach). I was hoping for a trade back and not sure what they were offered. Look, I really like Warmack too, but they felt that they could get closer value on a guard later in the draft and the talent differential for what they could get at 9 & 13 leaned to defense.

Who says it was BPA? Idzik?

Those two weren't the BPA to me. You don't find it even the least bit coincidental that we picked up a CB at 9?