Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Marty Mornhinweg faxing in his resignation right now?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Warmack vs. Milliner was a judgment call, I would agree. But if the Jets are satisfied that the can get a quality guard later, it was a very good call. Eifert would have been a reach at 13 at a position that is deep in this draft. The Jets were wise to hold out for someone in a later round. Let's see what day 2 brings. My guess is it will be a bit more offense minded where the appropriate value is for offensive players.
    If this is what happens, then I feel a bit better.

The big "fool" that's being talked about now are the Jills for trading down (good move) only to pick Manual (bad move).

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    When you say "a situationan no one in this draft can fix," do you mean that Geno Smith or Nassib would turn the ball over 26 times and be the lowest rated starting QB in the league?

I would probably prefer that over marching MS and Garrard keep the circus going.
    I understand you want an offensive player. But to pick up a QB so we get rid of Sanchez is not the answer. If Jets draft a Qb and he is not better or worse how has that helped. I agree maybe not a DE (even though he looks really good) But on day one when the WR goes - i would have offensive line. But there are still more rounds to go in the draft. Team was not going to be fixed in one round.

QBs in draft this year are not going to be franchise QBs. if team will be as bad as they are being predicted to be then next year we will have a higher pick and see what QBs come out.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by djaparz View Post
    I understand you want an offensive player. But to pick up a QB so we get rid of Sanchez is not the answer. If Jets draft a Qb and he is not better or worse how has that helped. I agree maybe not a DE (even though he looks really good) But on day one when the WR goes - i would have offensive line. But there are still more rounds to go in the draft. Team was not going to be fixed in one round.

QBs in draft this year are not going to be franchise QBs. if team will be as bad as they are being predicted to be then next year we will have a higher pick and see what QBs come out.
    I cringed when our picks came up.......muttering "No Geno, no Geno, no Geno"

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I was muttering the same thing.

Reading this board, its sad the draft is over after last night, and we have no more picks.

You can make an argument for Warmack (and you can make an argument for picking up a guard later too), and maaaaybe reaching on Eifert at 13 (and Im a ND fan who watched every televised game), but other than that if the trade down isnt there, and it takes two to tango on that, WHAT OFFENSIVE SKILL PLAYERS DID THEY PASS ON?

1 QB drafted..a reach. 1 TE drafted 8 picks after us. 0 RBs. A couple of WRs after us at the end of the first round.

Half this board wanted us to reach for lesser talent on offense, when there will be similar talent available today.

Jeez, chicken littles.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Warmack would have helped. Eifert would have helped.
    Yes they would and they would be my picks also;however, what do we know what is best for the team. The more I read about our picks the more I like.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    but in this draft, the talent on offense isn't really 1st round caliber. When the #1 WR is barely 5'8" (wearing stilettos maybe), no RBs worthy of being taken in round 1 and a 3rd round projected QB (Manuel) gets reached-for above the consensus 1st rounder (Geno Smith) who isn't even picked... what does that tell us about the paucity of 1st round worthy offensive talent there was in this draft?

Can't blame them for not wanting to burn 1st round picks on OG's. The offensive strength in the 2013 draft was not in the 1st round. It's in rounds 2 - 5
    Dcat, stop making sense, will you!

Seriously, this is what everyone said they wanted to avoid. If you don't want to spend one of two high 1st rounders on a guard, the ONLY selection the draft would have had for value was Tavon Austin. When the Bills f**ed us, that meant we were going defense because that is where the value is.

If Geno Smith gets by the Eagles and the Cardinals, I would not be adverse to taking him in the 3rd round, because he might go that far. Although, it would appear the value where we will be in the 2nd would be TE and OLB.

In today's NFL, where the rookie picks do not strap a team anymore, you are best to take the BPA, even if it is a strength of yours, because you can build either super-units or gives you the flexibility in trading good players to fill needs or stock-pile picks.

People laugh at BB, but he has been stock-piling picks for a long time, and he always seems to hit more on the players that fit the systems that they use than not.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Before you even get to the skill positions, imagine him looking at the current o-line depth chart?

"OK we have Mangold and Ferguson..........and then...... ummmm[flipping pages back and forth..... uhhhhhhhh....Holy Crap!"

"Who'd we get in the first round?" "Can he block too?"

This is the issue. How is it defined? I don't think Richardson was the BPA.
    In differentiating players ranked closely from the same position, you have to trust the coaching/scouting staff on the fine tuning. For example, I liked Hopkins more than Austin based on size but the universe feels Austin, notwithstanding size, is the better choice. I trust the coaches in that assessment. But was delighted when Buffalo handed Austin to the Rams. I knew Richardson was one of the top 3 DTs in the draft and never gave it a thought that we would be drafting a DT (still mired in the decades long reach-for-need mentality that my 43 years of Jets fandom have caused). Having watched the highlight tapes of him, Floyd and Lotulelei, I would have been happy with any of the three at the position (although Star's heart defect is a concern). In fact, I think Richardson's tapes are more impressive. He has a motor that doesn't quit. In looking at those three, we have to have faith in Rex, Idzik and the scouts to distinguish among them. They are all close.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Before you even get to the skill positions, imagine him looking at the current o-line depth chart?

"OK we have Mangold and Ferguson..........and then...... ummmm[flipping pages back and forth..... uhhhhhhhh....Holy Crap!"

"Who'd we get in the first round?" "Can he block too?"
    step 1: 2-14
    step 2: Teddy Bridgewater + other offense
    step 3: Continue building offense
    2015: genuine contender

Warmack at 9 would've been a great pick. It would've sent a message to the fans that Idzik is in charge, not Rex.

Rex is still in charge. It's that simple. The team will suck this year no matter what. There's no QB, not even close to a single viable NFL QB on the roster.

As such, send a message to let me know that the GM is in charge and understands that this team has the most putrid offensive roster next to Jacksonville in the league.

This offense IS EVEN LESS WATCHABLE THAN LAST YEAR.

Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    Warmack would have helped for sure, but I still think you can find a OG later and I know you can find a TE later.
    Lol people complain about how we're not going to score points, and then turn around and say Warmack would have helped. How? He's not putting points on the board.

Let's face it. The Jets wanted Austin, Buffalo knew it and were in a perfect situation to trade back and screw the Jets at the same time.

So my question to Jets fans here, excluding a trade back (easier said than done), what skill position players on Offense, and I mean difference makers, would you have taken at 9 & 13 to address the offense?

Eifert, Patterson?

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Warmack at 9 would've been a great pick. It would've sent a message to the fans that Idzik is in charge, not Rex.

Rex is still in charge. It's that simple. The team will suck this year no matter what. There's no QB, not even close to a single viable NFL QB on the roster.

As such, send a message to let me know that the GM is in charge and understands that this team has the most putrid offensive roster next to Jacksonville in the league.

Rex isn't in charge, give it a rest.

It's plain to see theres no offensive talent at the top of the draft besides Austin, and the bills pulled a great move.

I agree about there being no QB, but we're not fixing it this year. It's fairly obvious to any intelligent fan that we are trying to get Manziel or Bridgewater next year. And with close to 40 mil in cap space next year, we can make quite a few FA moves.

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post

It's plain to see theres no offensive talent at the top of the draft besides Austin, and the bills pulled a great move.

I agree about there being no QB, but we're not fixing it this year. It's fairly obvious to any intelligent fan that we are trying to get Manziel or Bridgewater next year. And with close to 40 mil in cap space next year, we can make quite a few FA moves.
    LOL. If that's the case then they DEFINITELY should've taken Warmack and/or Eiffert.

The o-line stinks. Ducasse is garbage. Ferguson is heavily overpayed. Austin sucks. Mangold can't stay healthy and is aging in dog years.

I can see Woody telling Rex he can have the draft to try to save his job and every pick being made on defense. Then Idzik coming out and saying BAP over and over again and Rex getting Milliner tatooed on his ass cheek.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post

And then blew it by drafting a qb with their first pick.

I agree that Warmack would have been a fine choice, but the rest of that sentence is sheer nonsense. So it's clear that in your mind, any offensive pick would have been Idzik and any defensive picks belong to Rex. How overly simplistic that is. Come on man.

Rex is still in charge. It's that simple. The team will suck this year no matter what.
    I think you let your hatred of Rex color your ability to think clearly.

Jets Insider VIP

Maybe the plan is long term and not this year.
    Last edited by RMJK; 04-26-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    HOW DARE YOU Jets sticking to BPA for the first time in a two decades...

we need trade ups, splashes and draft pick giveaways

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    step 1: 2-14
    step 2: Teddy Bridgewater + other offense
    step 3: Continue building offense
    2015: genuine contender
    Exactly. I don't get why people don't understand that this is the pretty much the plan.

Setting ourselves up for some prime pickin next year!

Me too... and we may find ourselves doing so again tonight at pick 39.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    I was muttering the same thing.

Reading this board, its sad the draft is over after last night, and we have no more picks.

You can make an argument for Warmack (and you can make an argument for picking up a guard later too), and maaaaybe reaching on Eifert at 13 (and Im a ND fan who watched every televised game), but other than that if the trade down isnt there, and it takes two to tango on that, WHAT OFFENSIVE SKILL PLAYERS DID THEY PASS ON?

1 QB drafted..a reach. 1 TE drafted 8 picks after us. 0 RBs. A couple of WRs after us at the end of the first round.

Half this board wanted us to reach for lesser talent on offense, when there will be similar talent available today.

Jeez, chicken littles.
    This was an unusual 1st round due to the weird dearth of offensive skill position talent. I mean a 5' 8" Wr as the #1 wideout? No RBs, one reach of a QB who was projected late 2d/early 3d and the #1 QB falling into rd 2! Not your typical 1st round pool of talent. When railing against the Jets for its round 1 selections, everyone is overlooking how much that pool of talent influenced this draft