Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is Marty Mornhinweg faxing in his resignation right now?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Maybe the plan is long term and not his year.
    Picking Warmack would have been a fine choice for the long term. It's not like the Jets are only one player short on the O-line.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Me too... and we may find ourselves doing so again tonight at pick 39.
    +1

I'll channel by inner Dcat and we'll make it so.

Jets Insider VIP
    Good morning.

First post of the day. After taking a deep breath and looking back at how the draft has unfolded thus far, I am onboard with how our picks were used. I still would have preferred Warmack at 9 and I'm okay with Richardson at 13. It's just tough to see a team with one of the worst offenses in football have two picks at the top of the draft and use neither on offense.

In any case, today is a new day. Please don't go Defense in Round 2. There will undoubtedly be an OG, TE or WR worthy of the #39 that won't be considered a reach.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 04-26-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    LOL. If that's the case then they DEFINITELY should've taken Warmack and/or Eiffert.

The o-line stinks. Ducasse is garbage. Ferguson is heavily overpayed. Austin sucks. Mangold can't stay healthy and is aging in dog years.

I can see Woody telling Rex he can have the draft to try to save his job and every pick being made on defense. Then Idzik coming out and saying BAP over and over again and Rex getting Milliner tatooed on his ass cheek.
    Did you forget to put your aluminum foil hat on this morning?

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    +1

I'll channel by inner Dcat and we'll make it so.
    I'll need your help on this. I'll be attending dinner then the Seinfeld late show at NJPAC tonight. Use "the voice" to get some other team between 33 & 38 to pick Geno.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Picking Warmack would have been a fine choice for the long term. It's not like the Jets are only one player short on the O-line.
    This!

We have two longterm starters in Mangold and D'Brick. Colon is an aging stopgap guy. Ducasse isn't quite starting caliber and Austin is a mediocre RT, although he's young and I have hope he can continue to improve.

Warmack would have been a great addition to the offense.

OLine and DLine with his first two picks would have shown me that Idzik is building for the longterm and investing in the trenches.

In any case, so be it. Hopefully we get a starting OG in Round 2.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Good morning.

First post of the day. After taking a deep breath and looking back at how the draft has unfolded thus far, I am onboard with how the picks unfolded. I still would have preferred Warmack at 9 and I'm okay with Richardson at 13. It's just tough to see a team with one of the worst offense's in football have two picks at the top of the draft and use neither on offense.

In any case, today is a new day. Please don't go Defense in Round 2. There will undoubtedly be an OG, TE or WR worthy of the #39 that won't be considered a reach.
    We still need a pass rusher. I would trade down from 39 and pick up another team's late 2d and 3rd (or at least another 2 picks tonight) or a 2nd next year and another pick tonight.

Here is what another fan posted on one of the more sane Jets message boards, and I agree 100%:

Our first pick tonight is a chance to deal into the 2nd round of 2014. Here's how I'd try to do it....

Once the Jets are on the clock, you hope there is a solid slipping talent like Teo or Hunter or maybe a QB. You put the pick up for sale with a minimum asking price of a 2014 2nd rounder PLUS a pick tonight somewhere.

This way, if a stud you covet slips to you, you can still take the player, but you can also re-load with a 3rd rounder while adding some serious trade-up ammo for 2014. You'd still have the same amount of picks in the comfort zone this year. This could be done. You might have to toss in a late pick in 2014, but that's ok. We'll be loaded with them.

You won't get another chance later on I don't think, but there's a good chance that a team will covet our pick at 39.

Idzik is in decent shape here.

Jets Insider VIP
    We still need a pass rusher. I would trade down from 39 and pick up another team's late 2d and 3rd (or at least another 2 picks tonight) or a 2nd next year and another pick tonight.

Here is what another fan posted on one of the more sane Jets message boards, and I agree 100%:
    I'd be fine trading back from 39, but I'd want a late 2nd rounder this year and either a 2nd or 3rd next year. I don't want to drop out of Round 2 tonight...lots of immediate help available in the next 20-30 guys....passrushers, OG, TE, WR.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Sheesh!

Can you imagine being the OC of the NYJ and watching this draft go down?

No offensive weapons, no QB, and a few mediocre guys protecting! Yeah, let's draft DLine and add another CB to Cromartie and Wilson!
    My 1st reaction was also, "WTF are we doing not addressing our woeful offense?!"

But aren't many of the highest-rated QBs, RBs and other offensive players still on the board in the 2nd round? And part of our problems last year were injuries, a QB with SHOT confidence, and an absolutely crappy OC?

Time will tell. Panicking or partying is uncalled for either way.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by djaparz View Post
    I understand you want an offensive player. But to pick up a QB so we get rid of Sanchez is not the answer. If Jets draft a Qb and he is not better or worse how has that helped. I agree maybe not a DE (even though he looks really good) But on day one when the WR goes - i would have offensive line. But there are still more rounds to go in the draft. Team was not going to be fixed in one round.

QBs in draft this year are not going to be franchise QBs. if team will be as bad as they are being predicted to be then next year we will have a higher pick and see what QBs come out.
    I understand and somewhat agree with you in regards to the QB. My question is that we did nothing to upgrade the position all offseason. We brought in Garrard WAAAY to early only to have Kolb, Palmer, Flynn, etc change teams. We backed ourselves into a corner HAVING to find something in the draft or we are going to be worse than last year's Cardinals at the position. They had a pretty decent defense and still lost 11 of their 12 games.

We should not have put ourselves in this pickle. Now Sanchez is going to be our starter with gaping holes all around him. Yes with the cap we couldn't afford a starting Guard or two, a TE, or a mediocre WR. So we needed the draft for that.

I not even mad about taking two defensive players in the first round. It's the positions and where we took them. I'm just puzzled how we are going to field a team, score any points, and keep Sanchez and Garrard healthy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    I was all for taking Warmack and was disappointed when we choose Millner but there are other options for a good guard in round 2,3,4. The rankings of Millner was top 5 pick before the draft started. Some say Richardson is a beast and the best DT in the draft. Let's see what the other rounds produce, what UDFA and FA happen before TC to see if we can compete.

We had a lot of injuries last year. Maybe the football gods will take pity on us this year.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    I'll need your help on this. I'll be attending dinner then the Seinfeld late show at NJPAC tonight. Use "the voice" to get some other team between 33 & 38 to pick Geno.
    You can count on me sir!

Please don't go Defense in Round 2. There will undoubtedly be an OG, TE or WR worthy of the #39 that won't be considered a reach.
    In an interview aired during the SNY pre-draft special yesterday, Idzik mentioned that his philosophy was to strictly take BAP early in the draft, then you see that start to merge with drafting for team needs as the draft progresses. Stay tuned.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    In an interview aired during the SNY pre-draft special yesterday, Idzik mentioned that his philosophy was to strictly take BAP early in the draft, then you see that start to merge with drafting for team needs as the draft progresses. Stay tuned.
    Can't we compromise and stick with BPA but narrow it down to offense? How about the best available OL, WR, TE or QB at 39?