Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MASTER PLAN: Is Rex moving Jets to his dad's 46 defense (1985 Bears)?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

MASTER PLAN: Is Rex moving Jets to his dad's 46 defense (1985 Bears)?

With a powerful front four, lock down corners, and linebackers like Harris and high-potential DeMario Davis, perhaps Rex's master plan is coming into place.

The '85 bears won the Super Bowl largely on D. No bold predictions here, but this draft is far from over... and if there is one thing I know, Rex and Buddy know a heck of a lot more about D than anyone on this board.

Here's hoping!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY7nA...yer_detailpage

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see variations.....the fact that Rex is focusing on defense will make this group scary...he will show multiple fronts and he is getting players that can fit well...Richardson is a disruptor...we of course have to wait and see, but I am reallly liking this direction.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    With a powerful front four, lock down corners, and linebackers like Harris and high-potential DeMario Davis, perhaps Rex's master plan is coming into place.

The '85 bears won the Super Bowl largely on D. No bold predictions here, but this draft is far from over... and if there is one thing I know, Rex and Buddy know a heck of a lot more about D than anyone on this board.

Here's hoping!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY7nA...yer_detailpage

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having a guy named Walter Payton didn't hurt either!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's what stops the Patriots but not without good corners and a safety.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly im freaking confused.

Everything i read says Richardson is a great fit for a 4-3 but a horrible fit for our 3-4.

With this said if we move to 4-3 Coples is thought to be a horrible fit as a DE in a 4-3.

Im lost.

However for all the criticism rex gets from us, making players work in a defense is not one of them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a defense that can only be used in limited scenarios in 2013. What are you going to do when the offense comes out in 3-wide with their monster TE and RB that catches like a receiver. The 46 can't do anything with that.

I've heard Merrill Hodge talk about the 46 a few times now. He says that it took some time for people to learn how to block the 46 because of the odd alignment it uses. Once the offensive coaches figured it out, they realized what a vulnerable defense it was. This was why the Bears used it less and less as time went on. If the pressure doesn't get home, your dead.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    your LAST sentence is why I am optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    Honestly im freaking confused.

Everything i read says Richardson is a great fit for a 4-3 but a horrible fit for our 3-4.

With this said if we move to 4-3 Coples is thought to be a horrible fit as a DE in a 4-3.

Im lost.

However for all the criticism rex gets from us, making players work in a defense is not one of them.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Can't argue with that, but I'm not predicting SB quite yet. Let's see how the draft plays out, pray that Rex and Idzik know what they're doing, and let the rebuilding begin.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly I don't think Rex is planning anything. I think the front office is taking the best players on the board to prepare for the 2014 post-Rex rebuild.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Honestly I don't think Rex is planning anything. I think the front office is taking the best players on the board to prepare for the 2014 post-Rex rebuild.
    Agree to a point. Rex is still a defensive guru. If you don't think he had input in these selections you are mistaken. But you are right in that there is also no way that Rex MADE these picks.zero chance.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Agree to a point. Rex is still a defensive guru. If you don't think he had input in these selections you are mistaken. But you are right in that there is also no way that Rex MADE these picks.zero chance.
    I don't know what to think. On one hand, the picks are so stupid they have Rex written all over them. On the other, I can't believe he would be able to get what he wanted without quite the pitch.

We need to be able to score. Our offense is going to be one of the worst in the league.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How in the world are the picks stupid and we picks left.

I don't know what to think. On one hand, the picks are so stupid they have Rex written all over them. On the other, I can't believe he would be able to get what he wanted without quite the pitch.

We need to be able to score. Our offense is going to be one of the worst in the league.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Holmes is back, Hill will hopefully be more mature, and Kerley shows promise. If we pick up some solid O picks in the remaining rounds (Zach Ertz, Stedman Bailey, O-Lineman), we have an opportunity to improve.

Schitty and Sparano are gone, and Marty's WCO can help Sanchez look like a good QB again.

If Sanchez has another bad season, next year's draft will be better.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    How in the world are the picks stupid and we picks left.
    Because we gave up Revis and then drafted at the two positions we happen to not need. Awful first round. We should of traded down like the Patriots and stocked up on offensive lineman and receivers and things we actually need.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if sanchez stinks it up he is history next year and maybe he will be decent in the best offensive system he has had since his days at USC.....it's day one and we have 6 picks left....amazing how many are going nuts and jumping off the cliff after day one....we got two good picks tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Holmes is back, Hill will hopefully be more mature, and Kerley shows promise. If we pick up some solid O picks in the remaining rounds (Zach Ertz, Stedman Bailey, O-Lineman), we have an opportunity to improve.

Schitty and Sparano are gone, and Marty's WCO can help Sanchez look like a good QB again.

If Sanchez has another bad season, next year's draft will be better.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Is there any chance - as in has it ever happened before in the NFL - that Rex could be the DC in 2014 if he gets canned as HC?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you missed the Revis situation...we did not give him up...the nam had NO franchise clause in his contract...he would have walked after the 2013 season....soon to be 28 and coming off and acl....and asking for QB money.....nope I like what the Jets are doing.

Because we gave up Revis and then drafted at the two positions we happen to not need. Awful first round. We should of traded down like the Patriots and stocked up on offensive lineman and receivers and things we actually need.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    You see how an offense can help a D.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care how good the defensive personnel or scheme is, when they are on the field 75% of the time they will wear down. We do not have Walter Payton, nor and OL that can make an avg back look good.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As the rest of the league evolves we are going back to the '80s.

And if Rex is such a defensive guru and wizard why does he need all these first-round talents? Shouldn't he be able to coach up some guys or is he just a button pusher?