Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MASTER PLAN: Is Rex moving Jets to his dad's 46 defense (1985 Bears)?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    With a powerful front four, lock down corners, and linebackers like Harris and high-potential DeMario Davis, perhaps Rex's master plan is coming into place.

The '85 bears won the Super Bowl largely on D. No bold predictions here, but this draft is far from over... and if there is one thing I know, Rex and Buddy know a heck of a lot more about D than anyone on this board.

Here's hoping!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY7nA...yer_detailpage
    A defense like that would be awesome. But if that is the case Rex needs more than just one season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    if sanchez stinks it up he is history next year and maybe he will be decent in the best offensive system he has had since his days at USC.....it's day one and we have 6 picks left....amazing how many are going nuts and jumping off the cliff after day one....we got two good picks tonight.
    Nobody is going nuts or jumping off a cliff. We're on Jets message board evaluating their 2 first round picks. We can't evaluate the rest of the draft as it hasn't happen yet.

Are you suggesting we simply don't use JI until the full draft is complete?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Because we gave up Revis and then drafted at the two positions we happen to not need. Awful first round. We should of traded down like the Patriots and stocked up on offensive lineman and receivers and things we actually need.
    You dont think they were trying to trade down, with the clock running down especially on pick 13? No takers. I dont get what people dont get about that. Idzik can't hold the 49ers GM at gunpoint and force a trade down.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    '85 Bears Defense?

Good thing the rest of the league hasn't changed at all in 30 years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street View Post
    Is there any chance - as in has it ever happened before in the NFL - that Rex could be the DC in 2014 if he gets canned as HC?
    I don't remember it happening. Would be a great idea, but would never happen. Rex would likely go into announcing or would be able to find another head coaching job somewhere else within a year or so of getting canned.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    As the rest of the league evolves we are going back to the '80s.

And if Rex is such a defensive guru and wizard why does he need all these first-round talents? Shouldn't he be able to coach up some guys or is he just a button pusher?
    I am honestly not sure if they have a plan.

Just blindly "we have to take the best player on our board" and we'll figure it out later.

But they did have a media strategy - "these two were in our top 4 overall"
    Does anyone honestly believe that?

Same sh--, different management

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    You dont think they were trying to trade down, with the clock running down especially on pick 13? No takers. I dont get what people dont get about that. Idzik can't hold the 49ers GM at gunpoint and force a trade down.
    They were fielding calls and getting offers, maybe they needed to take a little less and better the team. My guess is I would be even more PO'd if I knew what trade they turned down to take another Interior d-linemen.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neonleon29 View Post
    Honestly im freaking confused.

Everything i read says Richardson is a great fit for a 4-3 but a horrible fit for our 3-4.

With this said if we move to 4-3 Coples is thought to be a horrible fit as a DE in a 4-3.

Im lost.

However for all the criticism rex gets from us, making players work in a defense is not one of them.

Rex doesn't run a traditional version of either. I'm not worried about it.

Rex's whole defense is predicated upon attacking protection. He wants guys he can move around, to create and exploit mismatches. Ideally.

If Richardson is on the field as an every-down player, then it's probably going to prove to be a great pick. IF, however, he proves to be a rotation/situational guy and we took him over Eiffert, Vaccarro, Star and Jarvis Jones, then I'm going to be pissed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 46 was exposed twenty years ago for its weaknesses. It's fine for a "look" and to mix things up but you'd have to be an idiot to play it as the base defense these days. It's probably the worst defense you can play against the short passing game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Because we gave up Revis and then drafted at the two positions we happen to not need. Awful first round. We should of traded down like the Patriots and stocked up on offensive lineman and receivers and things we actually need.
    Yeah, only problem with that theory is nobody wanted to trade up with us, or it would have happened.
    You can't just say trade down and it will happen; there needs to be a willing partner, which obviously there was not.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

And if Rex is such a defensive guru and wizard why does he need all these first-round talents? Shouldn't he be able to coach up some guys or is he just a button pusher?

Your trolling and SOJF tantrums are obnoxious and shameless

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no 46 master plan. And Rex already employs 46 looks. His defense is what he calls "multiple". It changes fronts and looks based on down/distance, matchup and situation.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Holmes is back, Hill will hopefully be more mature, and Kerley shows promise. If we pick up some solid O picks in the remaining rounds (Zach Ertz, Stedman Bailey, O-Lineman), we have an opportunity to improve.

Schitty and Sparano are gone, and Marty's WCO can help Sanchez look like a good QB again.

If Sanchez has another bad season, next year's draft will be better.
    There we go! About time... I felt like I was the only one with this line of thought.

Plus, since the offense will not become a juggernaut overnight with whatever picks we could've taken if we chose offense, the least we can do is give opposing QBs problems with our multiple-look fronts and all kinds of young studs in the front of the D. Then, at least we're in it, then. And maybe the offense wakes up with a new OC and some new players thrown in. It wasn't truly as bad as it seemed... just a perfect storm of bad things (crappy OCs, QB with no confidence or coaching, injuries to key players and ZERO depth) crippling it all season.
    Last edited by ChrisChrusher#40; 04-26-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe Marty will bring back the Flying Wedge!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, all I can say is with 5 of our own first round picks now available on D, plus a 2nd and two 3rds, plus a former 1st rounder in Cro, topped off with the genius of Rex and Thurman, we BETTER have a top D for the foreseeable future, whatever formation they play.

And we still have this year's 2nd and 3rd rounder, so we may not be done on D yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

With all due respect, I'm getting tired of this weak line of reasoning.

Yes, I think Rex is a good defensive coach. Therefore, I believe he could take a bunch of scrubs and make the sum greater than the parts. But if he could turn a bunch of scrubs into a decent defense, wouldn't you want him to take a bunch of true talent and make an elite one?

Until now I had more faith in Rex maximizing talent than any of our O coaches. But I like MM and want to see what he can do with players like Holmes, Kerley, Hill, etc. Maybe we have more talent on that side of the ball than we realize (the QB position will get better by default, even if it's still Sanchez). Once we "really" know what we have, then we can build from there. I'm not saying don't grab ANY offensive players in the draft -- just don't reach due to a perceived need.

FTR I have NO trouble going defense in the 2nd round if we think we've found a quality safety/pass rusher. I also have no trouble grabbing an offensive playmaker if we think we found one. Let's just get BETTER. I'd LOVE to have the problem of too much talent on one side of the ball. However, I don't think that describes our current roster . . .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is building a 62 defense. The Jets are going to shock the world by playing a goal line defense regardless of field position. This is to counter the Patriots Super Big Dime defense where they play 2 linemen and 8 cornerbacks (none who are worth a damn).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Rex doesn't run a traditional version of either. I'm not worried about it.

Rex's whole defense is predicated upon attacking protection. He wants guys he can move around, to create and exploit mismatches. Ideally.

If Richardson is on the field as an every-down player, then it's probably going to prove to be a great pick. IF, however, he proves to be a rotation/situational guy and we took him over Eiffert, Vaccarro, Star and Jarvis Jones, then I'm going to be pissed.
    Only if those guys turn out to be gems, which is far from a given . . .